Physiology Question Please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RollyPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me with this question:

In early syringomyelia, destruction of the tissue occurs in the area of central canal including the anterior white commissure. Indicate (yes, no) the type of loss, if any, that will occur in the following parameters and include your rationale for your answers:

1) Pain and temperature on both sides of the body that enters at the level of the spinal cord affected; YES, anterolateral spinothalamic tract

2) Pain on the left side for fibers that enter two to three levels below the affected spinal cord

3) Temperature on the right side for fibers that enter two to three levels below the level of the spinal cord affected

4) Discriminative (fine) touch for fibers that enter at the level of the spinal cord affected;

5) Proprioception/vibration for fibers that enter two levels above the affected spinal cord;

I understand the sensory and motor pathways, but not sure how to identify where the decussation occurs and what is affected. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it is. Does syringomyelia always affect the anterior gray and white commissures in the cervical region? Is the lesion level always the same for this? I guess I am just trying to figure out how to know which tracts are intact bilaterally? Unilaterally? Are the dorsal columns affected?