PI LOR reminder etiquette?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bigchau

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently left a lab and asked my PI to write a letter, which he agreed to.

Its been 2 weeks since we exchanged emails, and still no letter. I know PIs are super busy and have a lot of stuff to do other than write letters for students, but just wondering: is it too soon to ask email the PI and ask when they would be able to produce a letter?

I'm just worried that with time, it would be harder to for them to produce a good letter rather than early now that they still have a fresh memory of my involvement with the lab.

Additionally, can my GPA affect how my PI writes his letter? I'm just asking because he asked for both my semester and cumulative GPA which was a little odd for me because I assumed that these letters only reflect how I worked in lab and my gpa shouldn't change how he writes.

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

So I recently left a lab and asked my PI to write a letter, which he agreed to.

Its been 2 weeks since we exchanged emails, and still no letter. I know PIs are super busy and have a lot of stuff to do other than write letters for students, but just wondering: is it too soon to ask email the PI and ask when they would be able to produce a letter?

I'm just worried that with time, it would be harder to for them to produce a good letter rather than early now that they still have a fresh memory of my involvement with the lab.

Additionally, can my GPA affect how my PI writes his letter? I'm just asking because he asked for both my semester and cumulative GPA which was a little odd for me because I assumed that these letters only reflect how I worked in lab and my gpa shouldn't change how he writes.

Thanks for any input.

My PI asked for a resume and my GPA and stuff. He just wanted to have all the info to write it. He's also taking forever. Luckily I have plenty of time. If he didn't give you a time frame, I'd give him another few days and then email him. But that's just me.

I just gave mine friendly reminder emails every two weeks or so saying I know you are busy but just wanted to remind you about my letter and if you need any other info let me know. Some are really busy and have so much going on that they liked the reminders. And like @Matthew9Thirtyfive , I sent my resume with GPA because they wanted to know more about me beyond the lab or classes I had with them.

Reactions: 1 user