PI Science Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Distraught

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most if not all schools require letters written by two science faculty members. To my luck, one of my science letter writers flaked on me. It’s pretty late to ask a random professor for a letter, so preparing for the worst, I would like to use my research PI’s letter as a science letter. Can anyone chime in and tell me if this would work? Keep in mind that I did research for graded credit (4 units per semester), which has been verified by AMCAS as a BCPM course.

To future applicants, make sure you ask for letters from more than the usual two science professors. This way, you will not be scrambling for more letters in case something like this happens.

Members don't see this ad.

If you took coursework with the professor, it shouldn't be a problem even if it is with your research PI. At least it wasn't a problem when I talked to NYMC about it.

This is all very school specific. Check each school's policies. But by and large at the very least there are definitely some schools where this will be ok.

I was having the same problem and decided to use my research advisor (a PhD) as a science letter. Almost all schools will accept the letter as a science professor especially since you have research credit. To be sure I would definitely contact each school, they respond within 2 days via email. :)