Picking a school for pre med help!

Ahm152

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so here's the deal:
I've narrowed my colleges down to three-University of Missouri-Columbia, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, and Grand Valley State University in Allendale, MI.
I plan on majoring in biology with a pre med course. I know that many pre meds end up dropping it, but I need some help in deciding which one would help me best succeed with getting into med school.
I've visited all three campuses and, although all very different, I like them all. I am from Illinois and all three schools are about equal distance from me and around the same price with scholarships, etc. I know that many will suggest staying in state, but my state schools offered virtually no financial aid, so they are just as much as oos schools, if not more.
Proms and cons with the schools-
Mizzou- There is a hospital on campus, so there is many opportunities right there for me to get in volunteering, job shadowing, etc. the Greek life is huge and I would like the experience of being part of a sorority. I love the campus and the town, but it such a big school I'm not sure if I would be able to get intimate experience with advisors and professors. But also, there's a lot of research with it being so big.

UWL- I like the quaint little campus, but it is a relatively small school, so there might not be a lot of research opportunities. However, I feel that I would get a more personal experience with their being a smaller student body. There isn't a hospital on campus, but there is a branch of the Mayo clinic in La Crosse. Would that look good on med school applications? There is barely any Greek life here though.

GVSU- The campus feels extremely homey. There is Greek life, it's not huge, but it's pretty decent. There is a health sciences building in downtown Grand Rapids that I would be taking classes at. Also in Grand Rapids are a few hospitals. I know a few people there and thy say anything medical is good at the school. The student population is medium sized, but I hear the advising is good.

However, I know it is kind of late to be applying to a school, but what about applying to Eastern Illinois University? The chances of me getting in look pretty good and the tuition would be pretty cheap. There is a hospital nearby, but it's relatively small. (About 120 beds) I've been to the campus before and I like it, and the Greek life is pretty big there. But I'm not sure how much research is available and if it's a good choice for me.

I'm just not sure what is the best option and would really appreciate some help in choosing the best school that would help me succeed and get into med school. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Mizzou, hands down. Better opportunities available, and going to a big school doesn't prevent you from getting to know professors and advisors, you just gotta try a little harder. You can go to medical school from any if you work hard, but if you want the best resources/ research opportunities/ clinical volunteering opportunities Mizzou's a great place, and Columbia is a great town, wish I had gone there, but scholarships elsewhere were better.