Picture Identification Problems - See attached

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadJimmy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In an interesting assignment, our pathology professor provided us with two pictures of what I believe to be the pancreas. These pictures are of the same disease of which we must identify and write a paper about to receive a potential 2% bonus in the course. In a last minute attempt to correctly identify the illness, I wish to ask fellow pathologists if they have any ideas on what could possibly be presented in the pictures. Not to bias your opinions, but I believe Ive narrowed it down to either a cystic form of pancreatic neoplasm or possibly hemorrhagic pancreatitis. If I have missed something or you believe it could be something else, let me know and I will do some more research.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 1.05.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 1.05.34 PM.png
    334.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 1.07.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 1.07.33 PM.png
    702 KB · Views: 79
In an interesting assignment, our pathology professor provided us with two pictures of what I believe to be the pancreas. These pictures are of the same disease of which we must identify and write a paper about to receive a potential 2% bonus in the course. In a last minute attempt to correctly identify the illness, I wish to ask fellow pathologists if they have any ideas on what could possibly be presented in the pictures. Not to bias your opinions, but I believe Ive narrowed it down to either a cystic form of pancreatic neoplasm or possibly hemorrhagic pancreatitis. If I have missed something or you believe it could be something else, let me know and I will do some more research.
You're way off. The first is an open uterus with some very ratty looking placental tissue. The second shows the pathology more clearly with some very hydropic villi. This looks like gestational trophoblastic disease. And i don't think I'm a "fellow " pathologist of yours.

Sorry, not going to give you the answer so you can get extra credit on your test. You're not researching anything, you're just asking us for the answer. Go do some reading in your textbooks and try to remember what you learned in your actual pathology class and lab so far.