Pictures for Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesTank

Zombie
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering why medical schools require a picture with the application. I ask this because I just recently went to kinkos to get a passport picture taken in a suit and tie. It turns out they only take it of the neck up. You can tell i'm wearing a suit but i wasn't sure if this would be ok. What would you all say? (I paid a lot for the pics and I really don't want to have to try and go argue for my money back).

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I paid like $2.50 at Walgreens. Neck up is fine, if that's what you were asking

anyway.. why? probably so when the adcomms meet to discuss your profile they can remember your interviews by your face. I know I'd be more likely to remember someone I'd met if I had a picture to look at instead of just a name.

Some schools require it simply so they can put a face with your file - helps recognize you at the interview and also helps jog adcoms memories about your interview when it's decision time.

A neck-up photo would be fine, if you don't want to get something else. Personally, I'd go find myself a shoulders-up photo.

-z

Members don't see this ad :)
Use one from the shoulders up so that you can be head and shoulders above the rest of the applicants. :D

I think that the pic I used was 8 years old. The photo was an old head shot off of an old composite pic.

zipmedic, you might want to change your avatar to avoid being associated with the troll posing as a pre-dental student.

Of all of the non-important aspects of the application process, the photo is #1. Send in anything.

I guess I should have said it was shoulders up, but you can barely even notice that i'm wearing a tie. I think I'll just send it in thanks guys.

it's not as big a deal as you might think initially. as long as they don't remember you in a bad way, it's alright.

usually they say passport-style photo. so if you went and got a passport photo, im pretty sure that fits the bill.

The picture requirement might be a way checking pre-interview if you are the same race as you indicated on the application.

It's really there to make sure the person interviewing is the same person on the app.

Personally, I'd breakout the dress shirt and tie. Would you interview someone who can't even bother to dress up for a picture?

You can go to Walmart and get the cheapest ($10-15) package. Suit/tie is fine, just make sure you also comb your hair and brush your teeth, 'kay? :p

Does the pic have to be a passport sized photo (i.e. 2 by 2?) I have some professional composites, but they're wallet size.

Does the pic have to be a passport sized photo (i.e. 2 by 2?) I have some professional composites, but they're wallet size.

Passport size is preferred from what I hear.

What the heck, since this thread has survived this long, just send 'em some pics of your boobs. If a surgeon picks up the file, you are in.

Neck up is fine.

Tufts explains the picture as a way to make sure that the person who takes the MCAT is the same person as the one who goes on the interview and is the same one who matriculates at their school.

Which makes sense because if you were totally socially inept I could see you hiring someone to do your interview.

What the heck, since this thread has survived this long, just send 'em some pics of your boobs. If a surgeon picks up the file, you are in.

Is it bad that I was thinking that I should send in a chest up photo? I mean...every little (*cough* big) thing helps! :D

Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering why medical schools require a picture with the application. I ask this because I just recently went to kinkos to get a passport picture taken in a suit and tie. It turns out they only take it of the neck up. You can tell i'm wearing a suit but i wasn't sure if this would be ok. What would you all say? (I paid a lot for the pics and I really don't want to have to try and go argue for my money back).

Thanks

Most of them just want a passport sized photo anyway. Mine was taken in a sweater where I was wearing a nice blouse underneath (collar and cuffs showing) and in the picture, only the collar shows and it sort of looks like I'm wearing pajamas (without the rest of me). Oh well. I'm pretty sure they only use it for identity purposes and to remember who you were when you were interviewed (some schools require you bring the photo to your interview). My dad likes to tease that they look at it to make sure you're not so hideous that you'd scare your patients.

I took mine at home; no pants though :laugh: