Piercings and Audiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

K_Kerrig

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, all. I'll be beginning my studies in an Au.D program in the fall. As of now, I have several lobe and cartilage piercings (including in the tragus). Given the nature of the field, I figure it is likely that at various points classmates will perform hearing procedures/tests on me. If some of my cartilage piercings are relatively new, so that removing the earrings may be difficult (they take 6 - 9 months to heal, but they are small studs and can be manipulated so as to allow access to my ear canals), will this likely be a problem? As well, are piercings generally frowned upon/viewed as unprofessional in audiology programs/clinics? Thanks for your replies!

Members don't see this ad.

The issue with piercings can be tricky when it comes to practicing procedures on your fellow classmates. On one hand, it might be something they encounter in the real world, so it can provide good experience. On the other, if your piercings aren't fully healed, you could end up getting hurt (if your classmates are particularly bad at doing procedures when you first start out).

Also, with regard to professionalism, it really comes down to the individual program and how liberal they are with that type of thing. It would be a discussion that you would want to have with your supervisors to determine what their professional expectations are for you. When you're out in your community rotating through hospitals, private practices, and schools, you should always err on the side of caution and remove your piercings. The medical field in general is always going to be more professional and conservative.