piercings and tattoos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't even get me started on hair. I literally cannot brush my hair once it's dry. I have broken many a brush that way.
I know that struggle. My curls revolt if a brush even comes near them. They tend to revolt anyway, no matter what I do, now that I think about it. I was lucky enough to have good, relatively frizz-free hair days for my interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I use make-up about as frequently as you do, and I wore some to my interview. I don't think that means you're required to, though. I don't think veterinary medicine is a sort of field where you'll encounter a lot of people who will judge you for wearing no make-up at all, as long as you're well-groomed otherwise.

But, if you want to wear make-up, you can be as subdued as you'd like. If you're worried about smearing (like I was), just stick to stuff that's easily fixed/quick to apply, that way you can do a quick check in the bathroom mirror ~15 minutes prior to your interview and fix up anything that might be out of place.
For high stress situations, there are certain types of makeup I won't ever use....any lipstick/gloss, colored eyeshadow, etc. There are a ton of trade secrets about how to keep those from smudging, but I'm not going to go into that here. What I stick with is waterproof eyeliner/mascara, foundation/concealer, and powder. Potentially bronzer/blush depending on how my skin is looking, but again, I have quite the love of makeup.

What is this make-up thing you speak of????

Just kidding, I will wear make-up to certain things... graduations, parties, interviews, etc. But everyday life, yeah, not wearing make-up.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know that struggle. My curls revolt if a brush even comes near them. They tend to revolt anyway, no matter what I do, now that I think about it. I was lucky enough to have good, relatively frizz-free hair days for my interviews.
I get so sick of wearing a bun, but it really is the only way. Most people can't wrap their heads around the fact that they can actually watch my hair frizz right in front of them. Plus, it's sounds like we've got heat and humidity much later into the year this year, so that should be fun.

I think for my interview makeup I did mineral foundation, a little blush, neutral eyeshadow, mascara, and like chapstick or something because I was not about to worry about touching up lip products. Especially since they gave us snacks.
I get so sick of wearing a bun, but it really is the only way. Most people can't wrap their heads around the fact that they can actually watch my hair frizz right in front of them. Plus, it's sounds like we've got heat and humidity much later into the year this year, so that should be fun.
I hate wearing my hair in a bun. So I end up doing some kind of side braid if I need to tame the mane. And of course I'm in Florida so the humidity is inescapable. Most days I just let it be free though. I actually wore it down for my interviews.

I think for my interview makeup I did mineral foundation, a little blush, neutral eyeshadow, mascara, and like chapstick or something because I was not about to worry about touching up lip products. Especially since they gave us snacks.

I hate wearing my hair in a bun. So I end up doing some kind of side braid if I need to tame the mane. And of course I'm in Florida so the humidity is inescapable. Most days I just let it be free though. I actually wore it down for my interviews.
My hair won't even stay in a braid for more than 5 minutes unless I'm having a really, really good day. It's a bad situation, my curl is very pretty, but my hair is very coarse. The curl expands so quickly. For the health and safety of those around me, I contain it the best I can.

My hair won't even stay in a braid for more than 5 minutes unless I'm having a really, really good day. It's a bad situation, my curl is very pretty, but my hair is very coarse. The curl expands so quickly. For the health and safety of those around me, I contain it the best I can.
Ah that sucks. Mine tends to like braids. It's super curly but it holds together very well. If it is down, it does expand a lot while it dries. I keep it long so it gets weighed down some, but some days it really does feel like a mane.

Just kidding, I will wear make-up to certain things... graduations, parties, interviews, etc. But everyday life, yeah, not wearing make-up.

Being honest, I would rather spend the extra time sleeping in and it's an expense I can't really justify (instead I spend the money on videogames or art supplies.....). I would probably have to watch a YouTube video on how to put makeup on, it's been so long.

I never thought I would learn so much about hair and makeup on this forum. Braiding is my next skill to learn so I can handle my daughter's hair once she has enough to put up.

I personally don't have an issue with make up as look at isn't too tacky or over the top (this is for if I was hiring for a particular work setting and that's mainly because I know other people judge--could care less what you do on a personal level). I very rarely leave the house without eyeshadow, mascara and liner, but I also wear pretty neutral colors. I'd wear more but I'm not girly (as in I have no idea how to apply stuff well) and as of right now, I sweat too much to wear any type of foundation, cover up etc.

Summer kills my makeup game. Most days for the last few months I haven't bothered with anything but mascara because it would just sweat off anyway. Florida :rage:
Yet I still miss my Florida days. I went through so much primer haha

Being honest, I would rather spend the extra time sleeping in and it's an expense I can't really justify (instead I spend the money on videogames or art supplies.....). I would probably have to watch a YouTube video on how to put makeup on, it's been so long.
The expense part....yes. I don't buy very many high end products, but I'm definitely asking for Ulta gift cards for Christmas. My makeup routine usually takes me only 5-10 minutes, but I've been doing the same thing for 10 years lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a less is more type person when it comes to hair and make-up. I've found that too much (relative to my own tastes) make-up makes me feel more self conscience than wearing no make-up at all in public. Though occasionally, when I'm bored, I go all out - lashes, brows, hair, nails, the works - and then I proceed to just hang around my apartment in my full kabuki-face.

Though occasionally, when I'm bored, I go all out - lashes, brows, hair, nails, the works - and then I proceed to just hang around my apartment in my full kabuki-face.
That's one of my favorite things to do :laugh: gotta use up all the makeup I have somehow...
Yet I still miss my Florida days. I went through so much primer haha
I'll be happy when I'm outta here, 22 years of Florida summers is enough for me!

As a large chested woman, this makes scrub shopping VERY DIFFICULT. Why must they all be v-necks??
They're not -- you just have to shop around a little; sadly I've lost all my browser bookmarks for scrub sites, but there are some out there that make scoop neck and henley-style necklines. I'm very picky about the scrubs I wear, so I shop online a lot to find the right thing. I know they're out there.

I remember one of the sites - check out scrubmed.com.

They're not -- you just have to shop around a little; sadly I've lost all my browser bookmarks for scrub sites, but there are some out there that make scoop neck and henley-style necklines. I'm very picky about the scrubs I wear, so I shop online a lot to find the right thing. I know they're out there.

I remember one of the sites - check out scrubmed.com.
Thanks! I will check out that site. I've been looking in actual scrub stores in town since ordering clothes online tends to never fit right on me but if I find one that works I can order more of the same later.

Thanks! I will check out that site. I've been looking in actual scrub stores in town since ordering clothes online tends to never fit right on me but if I find one that works I can order more of the same later.
Exactly - my first purchase was a bit of a gamble, but it worked so well, I continued to use my favourite site for almost 10 years (until they died or went away). Look online for individual sites that make their own scrubs, not ones that just resale major national brands (like Cherokee or Landau) - those are only good if you want something common. But if you want a style (or fabric, or print) that isn't common, there are sites out there.

Re: make-up. I wear foundation/concealer on a daily basis but that's about it. And the only reason I do that much is because I have lousy skin and it stops me from looking like a hormonal teenager when I'm having stress acne flare ups.

Re: make-up. I wear foundation/concealer on a daily basis but that's about it. And the only reason I do that much is because I have lousy skin and it stops me from looking like a hormonal teenager when I'm having stress acne flare ups.
When you already look like a teenager and then your skin has to go and make it worse...:rage:

:nod: My first week of classes was so rough! I looked and felt bad haha

As a large chested woman, this makes scrub shopping VERY DIFFICULT. Why must they all be v-necks??

Yes, as a large chested woman myself, I realize this. Wear a shirt under and there are non-v-neck scrub tops, check around online some and there are sometimes some at specific stores that sell scrubs and medical supplies.

Bump- because I can't find an answer anywhere.
I'm considering dying my hair but am afraid to since I maybe getting interview invites within the next few months. Is there any stigma against people with unnatural colored hair? Would it be grounds for rejection?

I'm considering dying my hair but am afraid to since I maybe getting interview invites within the next few months. Is there any stigma against people with unnatural colored hair? Would it be grounds for rejection?

Depends on the school, the people interviewing you, their perceptions, etc.

You are much safer to just be conservative and to not take a risk like that, especially for something that you have already spent hundreds of dollars on in application fees. Would be silly to possibly throw that all away for an unnatural hair color. Since many vet schools have a dress code especially for clinics and unnatural hair color is typically something that is not allowed, I would be cautious and not go into an interview with an unnatural hair color.

Note: I am not saying unnatural hair colors are bad or that you wanting to dye your hair a fun color is silly. I would love to be able to add some blue or green to my hair too, I just can't because I am in clinics. So I would advise you the same, remaining conservative is your best bet.

Depends on the color? Like My Little Pony rainbow hair might be a bit distracting.

Honestly, it depends on the school and who's interviewing students. Some people are ridiculously conservative and hold all kinds of prejudices over various types of modifications to your appearance. Some people are more liberal and accepting. Know your audience.

I went to a mock interview session at my school a few years ago and the large animal vet present (who works with admissions) seemed like the kind of old-fashioned windbag who hates "young people things." I imagine a person like that is going to be a bitch in an interview if you come in with green hair.

Depends on the color? Like My Little Pony rainbow hair might be a bit distracting.

Honestly, it depends on the school and who's interviewing students. Some people are ridiculously conservative and hold all kinds of prejudices over various types of modifications to your appearance. Some people are more liberal and accepting. Know your audience.

I went to a mock interview session at my school a few years ago and the large animal vet present (who works with admissions) seemed like the kind of old-fashioned windbag who hates "young people things." I imagine a person like that is going to be a bitch in an interview if you come in with green hair.

The problem with vet school interviews is that you can have an audience of 2-3 people and even though the school and region might be a bit more "accepting" does not mean that each individual feels that same way.

So you could have one interviewer who does not care that your hair is green, blue, orange or whatever and the other interviewer who cares immensely. You will not know your audience prior to getting to your interview and being in the interview with them. So, be cautious and go conservative. I would give this same advice for anyone interviewing for a professional program.

It's about what I assumed. I'm friends with a vet student on Facebook who is in clinics at one of my potential schools, and I remember in his pictures maybe 2 years ago (so def not clinics) he had a fellow student with bright blue hair. An older girl from my undergrad is a 3rd year at the same school and has hot pink hair. It seems like they're fine with non clinic students having that, but once you're in clinics, no more. Since I'm uncertain about my chances in the first place, I will not be risking it for a passing fad!

If anyone was curious, I was looking at getting "oil slick" hair which is kind of like a rainbow option for brunette a without bleaching! Super pretty, but it'll have to wait.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 94
It's about what I assumed. I'm friends with a vet student on Facebook who is in clinics at one of my potential schools, and I remember in his pictures maybe 2 years ago (so def not clinics) he had a fellow student with bright blue hair. An older girl from my undergrad is a 3rd year at the same school and has hot pink hair. It seems like they're fine with non clinic students having that, but once you're in clinics, no more. Since I'm uncertain about my chances in the first place, I will not be risking it for a passing fad!

If anyone was curious, I was looking at getting "oil slick" hair which is kind of like a rainbow option for brunette a without bleaching! Super pretty, but it'll have to wait.

That is cool. Yeah, there were students during years 1-3 who had various different colors of hair, but all that stopped once clinics came.

Ooo that is awesome

Wait, that's not natural? Learn something new everyday.

It's good to know I should get my crazies out now, hair wise, before I can't anymore. :D

So I have purple hair right now and was thinking of dying it two shades of blue before interviews. I'm guessing it probably won't make a difference because it's already a crazy colour, but what would you guys say?

It's good to know I should get my crazies out now, hair wise, before I can't anymore. :D
I had an old man who I sometimes see while walking my dog tell me "when I go to the vet, I am not concerned about what she looks like as long as she knows what she is doing" so I guess as a vet it probably depends on your location, but most of the time as long as you are competent and personable crazy hair, piercings, and tattoos don't matter.

Personally in any type of interview situation I cover my tattoos and I live in a fairly liberal area that way. To me it's not worth the risk of being judged or denied an opportunity. You never know if one of your interviewers will be ultra conservative and I say better safe than sorry. (I'll add that I've never had a crazy hair color)

So I have purple hair right now and was thinking of dying it two shades of blue before interviews. I'm guessing it probably won't make a difference because it's already a crazy colour, but what would you guys say?

I had an old man who I sometimes see while walking my dog tell me "when I go to the vet, I am not concerned about what she looks like as long as she knows what she is doing" so I guess as a vet it probably depends on your location, but most of the time as long as you are competent and personable crazy hair, piercings, and tattoos don't matter.

Your n=1 does not equal "most of the time". The bolded statement is (I will admit unfortunately) wildly untrue in almost every professional field. It would be nice to think about, but it is not reality outside of a few anecdotal experiences.

If you show up with purple and blue hair to a vet school interview, I can guarantee you it will be a problem. It will do nothing to help you and will most likely hurt you. Don't risk it. And this is coming from someone who has crazy hair a lot of the time - however, I'm entrenched in academia and everyone knows me here, so I have more room to play around. I would never go to a serious interview with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I went from pink to brown and plain for interviews. I had colored hair for years 1-3 vet school, but again to plain for 4th year. Still plain now, trying to decide if I can add a little purple back and get away with it.

I say that an interview is not the time to be crazy. Go to a natural color, even if you're going to dye it blue right after. Now I feel like I was overly cautious when I took my cartilage piercings out if people are contemplating interviewing with blue hair.

@batsenecal, remember when that girl on the APVMA page made a huge deal about how she refused to take her lip ring out because it would make her a unique applicant? Good times

@pinkpuppy9, I was just thinking about her!!! Ugh. Then she went dropping the f-bomb and stuff. Such a bratty reaction

Ooh it was a long time ago. The cycle before this one. She had an interview at Washington class of 2019 and she was basically like, "Guys, I just got my lip pierced, but I also got an interview. I don't want to take out the piercing cause it will close. Do I really need to take it out?" It went downhill from there.

How long ago was this lip ring incident?

Wonder if it is worth trying to find and read for a good laugh...
If you really want, I can dig it up for you! I think you can easily find it if you search piercing or something though. It got a lot of comments haha

If you really want, I can dig it up for you! I think you can easily find it if you search piercing or something though. It got a lot of comments haha

Yeah, I found it by searching.

I just laughed at her "professional" "eff you all, I will do what I want and since you don't agree I am leaving" along with all of her "professional" profanity.

Yeah, I found it by searching.

I just laughed at her "professional" "eff you all, I will do what I want and since you don't agree I am leaving" along with all of her "professional" profanity.
:laugh: I honestly found it extremely hard to not type what I was actually thinking...