Piercings, tattoos, & medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mistress S

Don't mess with the S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious to see what other people think about this topic. At least where I live, piercings and tattoos are relatively common; even more "extreme" forms of body modification like flesh tunnels (really stretched ear lobes) and scarification are not all that unusual.

I have met several pre-med students who have some form of body modification, ranging from small, easily concealed tattoos to the aforementioned flesh tunnels (which you can't really hide because even if you remove your jewelry, your ear lobes are still hangy and flappy if you stretched them to 0 gauge or beyond). I have talked to some of them who feel that this type of thing is becoming more accepted by society and soon won't be a big deal at all. I tend to agree with them that it is becoming more acceptable; when I pierced my nose 10 years ago (at age 14) I remember getting stares and comments, but now I see even "preppy" type teenagers (cheerleaders and the like) with lip, eyebrow, and other peircings, and nose rings aren't even looked at twice. But I doubt if it is really a good idea to bet on this type of change in social attitudes when getting permanent, visible things done, like facial/neck tattoos. I agree that it shouldn't really matter, but the fact remains that to a lot of people it still does; also, especially in the medical field, there is an expectation of "professionalism" that encompasses appearance and tends to look down on visible tattoos and piercings.

Personally, I have long since removed all piercings other than my nose ring (which I plan to take out for interviews), my earlobes are very slighly stretched (10 g, so not really noticeable if I remove the jewelry) and I have a tattoo which I can hide at interviews. I don't feel like it is sublimating my identity or anything to hide these things, and I have met several doctors/residents in my area who have their nose pierced or small visible tattoos, so I feel like once I am accepted it probably won't be a big deal if I choose to wear a nose ring or wear clothing that allows my tattoo to be seen (also I am planning on getting a much larger one, but on my back, once accepted). What is your opinion about doctors/medical students having tattoos and piercings--should it be acceptable, or do you agree with the prevailing social attitude that these things are unbecoming of a professional? Do you have any, and if so, will you hide/remove them at interviews? What about after you are accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

I know a guy currently in med school who after he was accepted and before finishing his first year basically got a sleave on his right arm. He's in his second year now and is contemplating surgery. Also I know many many female medical school students with prominent lower back tattoos, some are huge. Its sorta funny watching them do CPR with these amazing pieces on their back. This is more and more common like you said. Whether it is accepted by the older attendings and tolerated during their residency will remain to be seen. Those that come after them will have it more easy because they will be the established attendings.

A lot of med students that I know have tattoos and piercings-- multiple ones. However, once we hit the wards, we are instructed to dress conservatively (which means taking them out if they are obvious). Just to let you know that while it's okay during 1st and 2nd years, any patient encounters, it's not.... (at least at my school). But it kind of goes the same way with clothes-- there are students that dress like slobs or dress like they are going clubbing to class, while both would be unacceptable on the floors.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Postdoc I worked with in my lab had a big tatoo on her arm. When she's just working in the lab, no one cares at all, but when she's meeting with "big-wig" people, research grant people or older professors, she'll definitely cover it up with a jacket.

I imagine it'll be the same when physicians go and see patients. Some patients will judge the doctors based on things like that.

Pretty silly form of expression. At least I wouldn't do that. There are perhaps better ways to express oneself - by doing good acts!
On the other hand, I suppose very few would care since such things, as you have mentioned, are very common (too common now, you want to stand out ,right?)

Just go into pathology

I've met a number of residents and attendings with styles (e.g. men with long hair) and expressions that would be frowned upon in corporate america. Granted, it is nothing as extreme as you find at your local heavy metal concert, but my dad has said (he conducts interviews for a fairly conservative pharmaceutical company) that if he can see a tattoo or multiple piercings, he will not hire that person. I don't think medicine is nearly as conservative as corporate america, since you will have a lot more autonomy. However, they don't want you to look like you belong in a biker gang.