Pikeville College SOM- 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smithle85

PCSOMHopeful
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who is applying this year?

Please post stats, location, and Pikeville's rank on your list of Osteopathic Schools.

:):):):):):):):)

Members don't see this ad.

I am from Pikeville, currently attending Eastern Kentucky University for my MPH.

UG GPA 2.5 (Berea College) ScGPA 3.0
Grad GPA 4.0
Taking MCAT in AUG
25/f

and of course Pikeville is my #1 pick.

Last edited:
I am from Kentucky [Louisville]. Currently at Wright State University doing 'Research'.
3.1 SciGPA
3.2 CumGPA
Taking MCAT in 5 weeks.
Military prior-enlisted/Officer
30 yr old Dude.
PCSOM is the school that I want to go to!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am from Kentucky [Louisville]. Currently at Wright State University doing 'Research'.
3.1 SciGPA
3.2 CumGPA
Taking MCAT in 5 weeks.
Military prior-enlisted/Officer
30 yr old Dude.
PCSOM is the school that I want to go to!!

Awesome! When do you plan on getting your application in? Have you heard anything about the rise in accepted applicants this year?

Ill get that in the day that opens up, I'll be down there next week to check it out, again. Honestly I'm just concentrated that I'm one the ones accepted. I'll do whatever it takes.

Looking forward to applying here! I have below average stats, but I would love to serve undeserved areas... so hopefully Pikeville will grant me an interview!

I am applying here too. I spent my early years in one of those KY/TN towns, but moved away in middle school--still a small town in the South though. I am really attracted to rural areas though

GPA: cGPA 3.3 sGPA 3.7 (I graduated with a 2.7 GPA in a non-science field in undergrad. All the science classes I have taken have been since graduation)
MCAT: 36R
5 years experience as respiratory therapist
would go right now if they let me in

I am applying here too. I spent my early years in one of those KY/TN towns, but moved away in middle school--still a small town in the South though. I am really attracted to rural areas though

GPA: cGPA 3.3 sGPA 3.7 (I graduated with a 2.7 GPA in a non-science field in undergrad. All the science classes I have taken have been since graduation)
MCAT: 36R
5 years experience as respiratory therapist
would go right now if they let me in

Wow nice MCAT man.

I'm applying here, Pikeville is in the top half of my list of schools.

25y.o. female
Portland, OR
23R MCAT
3.3 Cum GPA

Seattle, WA
3.49 cgpa, 3.25 scigpa
30M
24 female

On the top half of my list :)

Looking forward to applying here! I have below average stats, but I would love to serve undeserved areas... so hopefully Pikeville will grant me an interview!

What are your stats? Mine are pretty low too, it's making me nervous haha.

What are your stats? Mine are pretty low too, it's making me nervous haha.

3.4cGPA, 3.0 sGPA. I haven't gotten my MCAT scores back yet, but I'm not feeling too great about it..

3.4cGPA, 3.0 sGPA. I haven't gotten my MCAT scores back yet, but I'm not feeling too great about it..

Ahh, well you're still in a better GPA boat than me lol. I'm working on my master's hoping that and a good MCAT which I can't take until AUG will help. I'm also from Pikeville so maybe I'll get a little extra glance hah.

:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to y'all.
I'm from canada so might be slightly harder for me to get in.
cGPA 3.4 sGPA 3.5 My prereq gpa ~3.9. I have plenty EC
mcat 26Q after 2.5weeks of studying. I'm retaking it this Aug but applying in June
Pikeville is my 4th choice sorry guys...

Just FYI. Pikeville is a little bit biased toward those in the Appalachia region and producing primary care docs for rural areas per its mission statement. Not saying you cannot get in not being out of that region but it's something to think about if you are trying to decide where to spend that hard earned secondary money.

Matriculating Facts-Class of 2011

Applications: 2,033
Applications from Kentucky: 119
Completed Applications: 638
Completed Applications from Kentucky: 79
Students invited for interview: 165
Students interviewed: 129
Students accepted: 94
Students on alternate: 8
Students rejected: 18
Students accepted and paid: 76
Total new students: 76
Students repeating from 2010: 4

Average MCAT
Verbal: 7.59
Physical Sciences: 6.96
Biological Sciences: 7.42

Average overall GPA: 3.3

I agree with James here. I'm from the Pacific Northwest, and I applied to this school in 2010/2011 cycle, and after I submitted my secondary, they emailed saying they received it, but are really biased towards applicants in their region. It was a waste of my money. Really know what schools you want to apply to and if they're biased! But hey, if it's your top choice, go for it :)

I agree with James here. I'm from the Pacific Northwest, and I applied to this school in 2010/2011 cycle, and after I submitted my secondary, they emailed saying they received it, but are really biased towards applicants in their region. It was a waste of my money. Really know what schools you want to apply to and if they're biased! But hey, if it's your top choice, go for it :)

Thanks SNDO, I've been in the PNW all of my life and will keep this in mind when deciding which secondaries to complete. Did you hear anything else from them other than that they had received your application? Also, if you don't mind my asking, were your stats above avg/below avg/about avg?

I am from kentucky not very far from Pikeville and it is def my #1 pick!!

3.23 Cgpa (english & Bio major)
3.53 nonscience gpa
2.9 sgpa -low I know :(
waiting on my mcat score
24 Female

When is everyone applying?

Last edited:

3.53 nonscience gpa
waiting on my mcat score
24 Female

My GPA is pretty low too! So I am right there with ya, where are you from? I plan to get my app in by Aug as soon as my physics grades from this summer post, and plan to take the MCAT Aug 12. So they should have everything from me Mid-September. I'm worried it's a little late, but I want to at least try this round. I know of people with average scores who applied in Jan and still got interviews so, we'll see.

When do you plan to apply?

3.53 nonscience gpa
waiting on my mcat score
24 Female

I just submitted my primary about 15 mins ago... now its the waiting game! :)

SMITHLE85,

Im glad Im not the only one lol we can encourage each other :) Im from Knott County. I got an interview last year so I think your right to go ahead and apply. Have you taken the mcat once aready? Im waiting on my score still. But I was thinking about waiting til around sepember also.

Punkfan86,
good luck!!! I hate waiting its the worst, its so great that you got yours in so early though.

SMITHLE85,

Im glad Im not the only one lol we can encourage each other :) Im from Knott County. I got an interview last year so I think your right to go ahead and apply. Have you taken the mcat once aready? Im waiting on my score still. But I was thinking about waiting til around sepember also.

Punkfan86,
good luck!!! I hate waiting its the worst, its so great that you got yours in so early though.

Kentuckylady,

My fiance is from Knott! What's your name, I bet you two know each other! lol...

When did you apply last year? What was your first MCAT?

Aug will be my first time taking it, so I'm waiting until I finish Physics this summer to take it. Where did you do your Ugrad?

Hey hey, small town central KY guy!

GPAs: 3.7c 3.56s
MCAT: Taking July 6th for the first time, averaging 26 at the moment!

Got my primary in as soon as the cycle opened up!

My list of DO schools is 1.) PSCOM and 2.) LMU-DCOM, which I just visited and thought was amazing. I'd still rather go to Pikeville though! :)

Also applying to UofL but am thinking that would be a stretch unless I improve to a 30 on the MCAT! Good luck everybody!

Rural PA guy, looking for a Med school with a small class size, Pikeville is my second choice. I'd like to get down there to tour the camous/town but we'll see.

cGPA 3.95
sGPA 3.95
MCAT 27O

Submitting my primary tomorrow!

I'm submitting primary ASAP as I say everyday...but how many of the 79 seats are out of staters, the hard fact statistics are really helpful but I think regional preference is annoying because coming from Midwest, no schools shows me preference but can't complain, try my best and get into any school I apply too....

I feel I have good stats based on the average for recent class, but I'm from Midwest but I am open to working in a rural or small town in Midwest and currently interested in pursuing family medicine

I knew this school had a regional basis, but that isn't for just KY residents, correct? I'm from (and live in) TN, which I thought would be good enough.

Submitted my primary on the 10th (hoping for a short verification process)

cgpa 3.45/sgpa 3.24 [unoffical]. Low MCAT originally (but good enough for their 'average,' it seems) but retook it May 20th - scores out soon, but I didn't feel good about it :-(

Whenever anyone hears anything, please post!!

By the way what are some of your volunteering experiences if you have any and dont care to post them.

Hey guys! I think I will be applying here as well. I'm waiting for summer grades and will be taking the mcat soon. My gpa isn't great, but I'll apply anyway and see what happens :)

Just FYI. Pikeville is a little bit biased toward those in the Appalachia region and producing primary care docs for rural areas per its mission statement. Not saying you cannot get in not being out of that region but it's something to think about if you are trying to decide where to spend that hard earned secondary money.

Matriculating Facts-Class of 2011

Applications: 2,033
Applications from Kentucky: 119
Completed Applications: 638
Completed Applications from Kentucky: 79
Students invited for interview: 165
Students interviewed: 129
Students accepted: 94
Students on alternate: 8
Students rejected: 18
Students accepted and paid: 76
Total new students: 76
Students repeating from 2010: 4

Average MCAT
Verbal: 7.59
Physical Sciences: 6.96
Biological Sciences: 7.42

Average overall GPA: 3.3

Does anyone know how accurate these stats are? It seems really low on the MCAT especially the bio....

where can u get those stats for other schools? they seem really good, especially knowing the number of completed applications, how many were invited to interview, how many actually did interview, etc

Has anyone heard anything from Pikeville yet?

I havent heard anything from pikeville but Ive heard from everyone else Ive applied to. Has anyone heard from pikeville??

Starting this year, I believe, it will no longer be PCSOM. It's being renamed (along with the college-Pikeville College -> University of Pikeville) to Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Starting this year, I believe, it will no longer be PCSOM. It's being renamed (along with the college-Pikeville College -> University of Pikeville) to Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Good we can call it KCOM! Oh, wait...

the average is 21 but they accept only country rural residents???

not fair as I don't get preference in the state I live in and why are the standards lower for rural residents?

Last edited:
the average is 21 but they accept only country rural residents???

not fair as I don't get preference in the state I live in and why are the standards lower for rural residents?

false. they don't only. mostly but not only.

but yea i'd like to know as well.

@melo: mostly meaning 80% and you aren't even planning on going here smarty pants so why are you even commenting haha

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? submitted my primary, waiting for secondary.

Experience: Military (Marines- tour in Iraq), Shadowed DO (have letter), Worked with brain injured adults, Overcame some of obstacles(ex. Orphan, foster care, homeless stuff like that), very interested in this school.

cGPA: 3.58, SGPA: 3.67, MCAT: 21

Thanks for your input adn good luck, oh yea NJ resident.

Last edited:
Really, nice to know, I think :scared:. It would be awesome to get at-least an interview hopefully two. If I get two or three, I think I have a shot. I picked my schools wisely so hopefully it works out.

how many schools are you sending out to?

Pikeville should be sending secondaries soon. Last year it was around mid-July when they came out so we could see them this week. Best of luck everyone.

I really wish Pikeville would send the secondary!!! Anyone heard anything??

I am from Memphis, TN, and I applied to PCSOM this year because it's one of the closest DO schools to where I live, along with LMU-DCOM. I really don't know anything about the school so does anyone want to tell me about it?

20 yo male
GPA: 3.7
Sci GPA: 3.67
MCAT: 27Q

Also applied to Pikeville! I'm still waiting for my primary to be verified though...

I'm from CA...I know that might hurt my chances but oh well; it never hurts to try!

22 yr old female
3.7 cGPA
3.6 sGPA
MCAT: 24Q

Last edited:
Where's the secondary?! I was processed by AACOMAS a month ago.