Pikeville College SOM- 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted this morning!

Members don't see this ad.

Same here!! What a way to start the weekend. :) Dont give up if your still waiting, because it appears that they are still extending bids from these latest interviews.

That is the same email I received prior to my interview invite, but I'm not sure if it means anything other than what it says. For your sake I hope you get an invite.

Thanks! I will keep my fingers crossed. :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here!! What a way to start the weekend. :) Dont give up if your still waiting, because it appears that they are still extending bids from these latest interviews.

Agreed it was an excellent start to the weekend. slm88, were you at the Saturday interview?

^No. I interviewed on Friday 2/17. For those of you accepted, we're you admitted into this years class or 'accepted based on space availability' and potentially looking at class of '17

Congrats!! I was accepted '17 seat pending this year. Apparently this was the first time this cycle they have had to do this so it looks promising they will have seats this year. How about everyone else?

Thanks! I'm was also accepted for the class of 2017 pending the opening of more seats in the class of 2016

Yes, this is the first time this cycle that they've given this type of acceptance/waitlist. However it seems as though they are doing it based on the fact that the class IS full or that the expected number of outright acceptances have already been offered.

The interviews being held in March are ONLY for '17 acceptances with a chance to move to '16 if space becomes available. So, though this is the first time they've given WL type decisions, it is different than the normal WL's where there are still outright acceptances available.

Congrats!! I was accepted '17 seat pending this year. Apparently this was the first time this cycle they have had to do this so it looks promising they will have seats this year. How about everyone else?

Yes, this is the first time this cycle that they've given this type of acceptance/waitlist. However it seems as though they are doing it based on the fact that the class IS full or that the expected number of outright acceptances have already been offered.

The interviews being held in March are ONLY for '17 acceptances with a chance to move to '16 if space becomes available. So, though this is the first time they've given WL type decisions, it is different than the normal WL's where there are still outright acceptances available.
Do you have any idea as to how many acceptances are given for the Class of 2017? It would be great to get an idea as to how many people will be hoping to matriculate this cycle.

Not sure. Seems to me that this is the only waitlist type of response they're giving. So I'd expect it will move as much as a similar waitlist at another/smaller school. We will see. I'm interviewing in March, so for both our sakes, I hope it moves a BUNCH!

Not sure. Seems to me that this is the only waitlist type of response they're giving. So I'd expect it will move as much as a similar waitlist at another/smaller school. We will see. I'm interviewing in March, so for both our sakes, I hope it moves a BUNCH!
Perhaps, although I would imagine that people wouldn't mention if they got wait listed as opposed to an acceptance. But that said, the only thing that Dean Buser mentioned was that there were a few factors that go in to moving people to the upcoming year class, and one was the time of acceptance. He gave me no indication of where I stood on the list. I would guess that MCAT, GPA, and EC's all play a role as well. I guess we need to hope that people that want to go elsewhere give up their seats earlier than later.

Last edited:
totally :thumbup: :xf: :luck:

Perhaps, although I would imagine that people wouldn't mention if the got wait listed as opposed to an acceptance. But that said, the only thing that Dean Buser mentioned was that there were a few factors that go in to moving people to the upcoming year class, and one was the time of acceptance. He gave me no indication of where I stood on the list. I would guess that MCAT, GPA, and EC's all play a role as well. I guess we need to hope that people that want to go elsewhere give up their seats earlier than later.

Perhaps, although I would imagine that people wouldn't mention if the got wait listed as opposed to an acceptance. But that said, the only thing that Dean Buser mentioned was that there were a few factors that go in to moving people to the upcoming year class, and one was the time of acceptance. He gave me no indication of where I stood on the list. I would guess that MCAT, GPA, and EC's all play a role as well. I guess we need to hope that people that want to go elsewhere give up their seats earlier than later.

+10000000 to this haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps, although I would imagine that people wouldn't mention if they got wait listed as opposed to an acceptance. But that said, the only thing that Dean Buser mentioned was that there were a few factors that go in to moving people to the upcoming year class, and one was the time of acceptance. He gave me no indication of where I stood on the list. I would guess that MCAT, GPA, and EC's all play a role as well. I guess we need to hope that people that want to go elsewhere give up their seats earlier than later.

From what I hear they are holding the last few spots for local applicants. They still do have spots available, but are being selective, only giving seats to the class of '16 to those from KY and surrounding counties.

From what I hear they are holding the last few spots for local applicants. They still do have spots available, but are being selective, only giving seats to the class of '16 to those from KY and surrounding counties.

This would totally take the wind out of my sails!! I really hope they are open to applicants not from the surrounding area.

This would totally take the wind out of my sails!! I really hope they are open to applicants not from the surrounding area.

It is not that they are not open to those from outside the area. if that were true, they would not have even interviewed you. They are a mission school. They want to educate students from within the area. If students are from the area they are more likely to stay in the area and practice when they graduate.

i love calling the office and not getting ahold of anyone... multiple times. also love when my faxes get lost
/rant

Just got my MCAT score back today. Says they accept January scores, so was I supposed to receive a secondary by now without my MCAT scores? Or what do I do now that my scores are out? Seems like they are full anyways...

So, March interview dates are the 16th and 17th. This was confirmed by admissions!

I wonder when they will hand out these invites? Or if they already have?

Soon, they actually were reviewing candidates for the March interviews today. So it really could be any time at this point I suppose, depending on the volume of applications still left to sort through. I'm hoping for tomorrow personally haha. :D

Soon, they actually were reviewing candidates for the March interviews today. So it really could be any time at this point I suppose, depending on the volume of applications still left to sort through. I'm hoping for tomorrow personally haha. :D

Yep. I was told today that those still waiting for interviews would know something for sure this week. Crunch Time!

Are you sure there are no more seats available? I was under the impression they have only had 122 seats paid for. That leaves 13 seats left....

Are you sure there are no more seats available? I was under the impression they have only had 122 seats paid for. That leaves 13 seats left....
They're waiting for the next group of students to pay their deposits. I called Ronnie Collins this morning and the final count won't be in until March 14th. That's when people who were accepted for 2017 pending the the opening of seats for the class of 2016 can find out if they've been moved up.

They're waiting for the next group of students to pay their deposits. I called Ronnie Collins this morning and the final count won't be in until March 14th. That's when people who were accepted for 2017 pending the the opening of seats for the class of 2016 can find out if they've been moved up.

That's great to hear. Have you gotten your letter in the mail as of yet?

That's great to hear. Have you gotten your letter in the mail as of yet?

No I'm still waiting. I did get an email from Angel today with tons of information about housing, scrub sizes, and immunization information. Have you gotten your letter yet?

No I'm still waiting. I did get an email from Angel today with tons of information about housing, scrub sizes, and immunization information. Have you gotten your letter yet?

Yes, I got that email yesterday morning and started filling it out. I would love to give them a deposit but my best guess is that is in the hands of the USPS.

Got an interview, March 16th here we come. Sooo excited right now!!! :)

When did they call you?

I got an email from admissions around 1:30. Good luck, let me know if you hear anything by Monday! The email did contain the stipulation that any acceptances could be for the Fall of 2013.

I got an email from admissions around 1:30. Good luck, let me know if you hear anything by Monday! The email did contain the stipulation that any acceptances could be for the Fall of 2013.

No emails here :( I'll keep my fingers crossed though. I would love to go there... My dads family were actually some of the first settlers in a county neighboring pikeville so it would be really neat to get back to my roots.

Anyone interviewing March 17? May the luck of the Irish be with us!

To everyone who has interviewed at KYCOM: how do you get here??? Want to purchase plane/train ticket, but final destinations are still 2 hours from Pikeville. Help!

To everyone who has interviewed at KYCOM: how do you get here??? Want to purchase plane/train ticket, but final destinations are still 2 hours from Pikeville. Help!

There is no easy way. I actually drove 11 hours to get there but my suggestion would be to fly in to Charleston, WV and rent a car. It is actually a really scenic drive as well. The directions from Google will be the best, as there are few other logical routes. If you stay at the Hampton Inn across from UPike there is an adjacent parking deck which is free. It is a great deal and right where you need to be.

Two hours from Lexington Blue Grass Airport is not bad. Driving from lexinton to Pikeville is very easy too . Only one exit Mountain Parkway off I-64 E around Winchester KY area ,. It is straight short into Pikeville. KY. Be careful and stay focus it is too beautiful out here. Watch out for County Sherif and State troopers they will get you.

from what i could gather, unless you have your own car, rent a car or find someone (student, etc) to take you from the nearby airports (lexington, huntington, Charleston) you really don't have no other option.
There is a Sandy Valley Transportation system but its very unreliable and quite expensive. Other option is to take a cab from Huntington to Pikeville which is roughly $250 one way which is way too expensive.
Good luck!

That took a while. I'll put the blame on the postal service. It seems like quite a bit of time but I already put my deposit in. I am hoping some spots open up soon for this year.

Ya I don't think i got lucky with USPS. The letter is dated February 23 (which is before calls even went out) but the envelope was postmarked on February 29th. And I just got it today. Ya I've got my spring break this coming week so I'm going to work during that time on getting my deposit in. That and pray that March 14th brings some good news. Did you just put it on a credit card or did you mail a check?

Ya I don't think i got lucky with USPS. The letter is dated February 23 (which is before calls even went out) but the envelope was postmarked on February 29th. And I just got it today. Ya I've got my spring break this coming week so I'm going to work during that time on getting my deposit in. That and pray that March 14th brings some good news. Did you just put it on a credit card or did you mail a check?
I'll send you a PM

I just declined an interview invite for 3/17.Hope someone who is waiting to hear back gets an invite soon! Good luck!