Pikeville College SOM- 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was complete on 10/13 too. Its the waiting game now!

Members don't see this ad.

Well good luck to you both. Maybe we will all end up interviewing on the same day.

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview is about 30 minutes, some it was shorter like mine was 15 min but I was the last one that day and some ran a bit longer.

Does anyone know about KYCOM's 2010 or 2011 match lists? I really want to see where residency placements were...

Hey guys! Anyone who is waiting for an interview, be on the look out. I just withdrew from my interview here on November 5th. It's a great school, but I have already been accepted at some other schools. My heart is set on two places in particular already. Good luck!

Dr. Gaga, I'm assuming your going the MD route? What school is #1 on your list of acceptances?

ill be there on the 4th. looking forward to it. though ill be coming all the way from missouri!!!

I'll be there on the 5th, all the way from Arizona! Can't wait!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

My app was verified 10 days ago and I have received secondaries form all the other schools I have applied to except KYCOM. How long does it usually take for them to send the secondary out?

There were ~20 other students that were interviewed by two or three groups of two professors/doctors. We waited in a large room with 15-20 first and second year students. It was great to have students there to answer questions, and it definitely showed the family feeling they mentioned. There was a tour after the interviews and it was slightly pointless considering that they are building a brand new DO building for next years class.

Reading their website it's obvious how serious they are about Primary Care Medicine. It was exciting to see a program tailored to make the best PCP. Keeping loans at a minimum and purchasing your books, a laptop, an IPAD-2, stethoscope, and all the other basic equipment needed is incredible. A lottery system for 3rd and 4th year rotations also reduced the competition. The Dean's speech seemed sincere and this sounds like a great school.

I interviewed with Dr. Pope (Microbio/Immuno) and Dr. Lushia(Biochem). They were personal and straight forward.
-------------------------
General:
-Where are you from?
-Why Pikeville? Why DO?

Personal:
-Why your undergraduate school?
-(I'm older and initially a CS major). How did I transition from CS to medical?
-Where else have you or will you interview?
-Why would you choose one over the other?

File Based ("Not everything is butterflies")
-(I have a lower GPA and they did not like that some of my weaker grades did not cluster from 5 years ago.) Explain your grades.
-He then showed me some weeded grades, and asked me about a recent withdraw.
-How do we know that's not going to happen again?
-How are you going to relax during these stressful situations?

End:
-Do you have any questions for us?
Me: While I hope to get in this year, how can I better my application?

**My interview went over the allotted time, but they continued to talk about my application. (I gave them an opportunity to end it, but they thankfully continued to answer my question.) My 24 MCAT was not at all a concern and he said it was their average. The GPA of c3.0/sc3.2 was a big concern. During the interview he said that I barely made the cut-off. They did not discuss my 2 journal publications, my 5 years as a paramedic, my four international medical relief trips, or in-depth questions about my clinical or molecular research. In fact, I think it was too diversified. They did read my KYCOM personal statement and my entire AACOMAS application! :) In general, I thought it was more intimidating than expected, but I'm glad I got to respond to a shaky past. I'm also happy they took the time to read the essays and to ask good questions.

Last edited:
There were ~20 other students that were interviewed by two or three groups of two professors/doctors. We waited in a large room with 15-20 first and second year students. It was great to have students there to answer questions, and it definitely showed the family feeling they mentioned. There was a tour after the interviews and it was slightly pointless considering that they are building a brand new DO building for next years class.

Reading their website it's obvious how serious they are about Primary Care Medicine. It was exciting to see a program tailored to make the best PCP. Keeping loans at a minimum and purchasing your books, a laptop, an IPAD-2, stethoscope, and all the other basic equipment needed is incredible. A lottery system for 3rd and 4th year rotations also reduced the competition. The Dean's speech seemed sincere and this sounds like a great school.

I interviewed with Dr. Pope (Microbio/Immuno) and Dr. Lushia(Biochem). They were personal and straight forward.
General:
-Where are you from?
-Why Pikeville? Why DO?

Personal:

-(I have a lower GPA and they did not like that some of my weaker grades did not cluster from 5 years ago.) Explain your grades.

End:

**My interview went over the allotted time, but they continued to talk about my application. (I gave them an opportunity to end it, but they thankfully continued to answer my question.) My 24 MCAT was not at all a concern and he said it was their average. The GPA of c3.0/sc3.2 was a big concern. During the interview he said that I barely made the cut-off. They did not discuss my 2 journal publications, my 5 years as a paramedic, my four international medical relief trips, or in-depth questions about my clinical or molecular research. In fact, I think it was too diversified. They did read my KYCOM personal statement and my entire AACOMAS application! :) In general, I thought it was more intimidating than expected, but I'm glad I got to respond to a shaky past. I'm also happy they took the time to read the essays and to ask good questions.

Thanks for the info!!! Is your GPA a combination of undergrad and grad grades? Did they say what the interview GPA cut off was?

General:
-Where are you from?
-Why Pikeville? Why DO?

Personal:

End:

Very accurate description of the interview - at least it was very similar to my own experience. I left feeling kinda insecure about my abilities since we focused more on my weaknesses than my strengths. But this is to be expected I've been told...they need to know you have what it takes so it makes sense they do that. My issue was low mcat high gpa though...we'll see what happens!!

My interview was different.

My interviewers told me to tell them about myself and asked what other schools I applied to. One of my interviewers said he couldn't find anything bad about my application so we didn't talk about my application much at all. I do believe if you have weaknesses on your application that they definitely will address them. Mostly they just want to see what your personality is like. We talked about hobbies and such.

Good luck !!

my interview was different.

My interviewers told me to tell them about myself and asked what other schools i applied to. One of my interviewers said he couldn't find anything bad about my application so we didn't talk about my application much at all. I do believe if you have weaknesses on your application that they definitely will address them. Mostly they just want to see what your personality is like. We talked about hobbies and such.

Good luck !!

+1

To those that were accepted: CONGRATZ!! Also, join the facebook group: KYCOM Class of 2016.

I interviewed on November 5th and am waiting for a response. Has anyone from this group been accepted yet? I'm getting nervous.

I interviewed on November 5th and am waiting for a response. Has anyone from this group been accepted yet? I'm getting nervous.

Hey, I had also interviewed this saturday.
Have not heard anything yet, I believe they said either tomorrow or wednesday we should be receiving a call.
I'll keep you updated if I hear anything, Good luck!

Also interviewed on Saturday, and have been waiting by my phone all day. Nothing yet. Let's hope for tomorrow!

The last batch of interviews were 10/14 and 10/15 and we got the call on the following Tuesday. If the Dean is away, then it may take longer. Patience, my friends, soon enough you will get the call:)

Haven't heard anything over here yet either.

Hopefully tomorrow!

No, only the accepted are a few days after I believe.

GPA 3.55
sGPA 3.45
MCAT 21P

Finished the secondary on Sunday. Waiting to hear back about an interview. How often do they conduct interviews? I know my MCAT is lower than they like, but has anyone else got in with a similar score? Good luck everyone!

Very accurate description of the interview - at least it was very similar to my own experience. I left feeling kinda insecure about my abilities since we focused more on my weaknesses than my strengths. But this is to be expected I've been told...they need to know you have what it takes so it makes sense they do that. My issue was low mcat high gpa though...we'll see what happens!!
Thank you, I wasn't really sure about their questioning methodology. Some of my responses definitely got flipped around. I'm glad to know that I wasn't alone. :) Most of the KYCOM students said it was relaxed, but It was much more intense than my first interview. I just want others to be prepared.

Do they usually send out interview invites on Wednesday and Thursday?

Does anyone know how long until we hear whether we are wait listed or just rejected?

Wow! Are only 3 people accepted??? I wonder if people will get calls today too....ugh this is the worst feeling....not knowing....

Wow! Are only 3 people accepted??? I wonder if people will get calls today too....ugh this is the worst feeling....not knowing....

Hang in there. Dean Buser told me that he was a bit behind in making calls. It will come :)

So, after my interview (which I found VERY intimidating!) the lady walked me back, shook my hand and said "See you soon..." and I just called and spoke with a lady at the school who told me the same thing that the dean was behind due to some fair and at the end she said, "Talk to you soon.." Ahhhh!! I know I shouldn't read into this, but it's so hard not to, I mean does that mean something??! Anyone else have that happen to them and/or what do you all think about that?

So, after my interview (which I found VERY intimidating!) the lady walked me back, shook my hand and said "See you soon..." and I just called and spoke with a lady at the school who told me the same thing that the dean was behind due to some fair and at the end she said, "Talk to you soon.." Ahhhh!! I know I shouldn't read into this, but it's so hard not to, I mean does that mean something??! Anyone else have that happen to them and/or what do you all think about that?

I emailed my interviewers to thank them. My most intimidating interviewer emailed back very very kind words before I even heard from Dean Buser. Kind of the same thing...? I think you're good.

Congrats to those accepted. I have a question for you all.

Do you guys think that Pikeville college SOM considers Northern VA Appalachian region? I live in a suburban area. if you head north you are in DC and if you head south or west it becomes pretty rural.

Are they strictly dedicated to rural medicine? I want to do Primary care but I am not sure that I want to necessarily practice in rural areas.

I am considering applying this cycle (very late, I know) or maybe next year when I improve my stats.

thoughts?

Good luck to everyone:luck:

I'm from Kansas city. Far from rural. And I'm accepted. Tho I grew up in a town similar to pikeville.

Also I can't find the Facebook group on my phone. Help!

I've got a 23, I'm from OR, and I am interviewing on 9/30. Can let you know about the acceptance part when I know (*here's hoping*)!
what was ur cgpa and sgpa? I got a similar mcat score and not from the KY. wondering what my chances are ?

I believe their MCAT average is 24, which means if you have slightly below that and your GPA/activities are great, they can make up for it. The interview is really important and they want to see good personalities that fit with their school. The GPA average is a 3.3 for both science and cumulative.

Also, a lot of people during my interview 10/15 were from out of state and I got accepted, so you def. have a chance!

got the invite today! going on dec. 2nd!

same here, how does the university rank compared to other DO programs ?

In my interview, they stressed the importance of GPA and EC over MCAT score. I am from just outside Chicago, and I was accepted. So, no worries if you are not from a rural setting.