Pikeville College SOM- 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
have you joined the FB group yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, Rebecca and I joined today! Charlie Morrow on FB

Congratz! Did they mention how much of the class was full? I think the class size is increased to 120-130 from the original 75-80 they have had since 1997. 2012 is going to be a big year in Pikeville with the expansion and the new building!

Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed they told us they were accepting 135. It should be a great year.

I interviewed last Saturday, and I thought my interview went really well, but I still haven't received a call. Do they make the calls all in one day, or does this basically mean I'm not going to get accepted? :(

Well, my roommate just got accepted today and he didn't get the call on Tuesday. The Dean said he kept on missing him and they didn't get to speak until today, Thurs. So you never know. If you get a call from a 606 number or another local area number, answer it or call back!

Best of luck, you may have been wait-listed and still have a chance!

Thanks for the help. The patience paid off! I received a voicemail from the dean on Friday, although I couldn't get ahold of him until today, and I am now accepted. I'm so happy! :)

Hey guys!

Anyone else interviewing tomorrow? Drove up from Alabama today and just bored in the hotel. I appreciate the input on the nature of the interviews. Nervous but excited about Pikeville. Wish me luck! ;)

I was wondering if someone has already posted the secondary app questions. I am not applying this year, but I will apply next year.

Hey guys!

Anyone else interviewing tomorrow? Drove up from Alabama today and just bored in the hotel. I appreciate the input on the nature of the interviews. Nervous but excited about Pikeville. Wish me luck! ;)

I was the same way. The interview is VERY laid back...Mostly just a casual conversation with a couple of professors. They asked me a few questions about my personal statement and they never really asked me any questions that I had trouble answering. The main thing is to be yourself and let them know you have a true desire to practice medicine and you have what it takes to make it.

Good Luck!

I was wondering if someone has already posted the secondary app questions. I am not applying this year, but I will apply next year.

Not sure if they change the questions, but this was the secondary essay this year:

Statement of Purpose: Please explain why you should be selected for training as a primary care, rural osteopathic physician. Please also explain why you are applying to KYCOM for osteopathic medical education and why you believe you will be a successful KYCOM medical student. (1-2 pages maximum)

Anyone know when Dean Buser will be back in town? Hoping for a phone call this week! :)

Edit: Accepted! Not sure where I will end up yet, as I still have several interviews, but it's great to know I am going somewhere!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I just received an interview invite for Feb. 18th. Who else will be there that day? Also, thanks to those of you that had posted interview questions. Does anyone know how many interviews/acceptances are offered for each class?

I got the email this morning inviting me for an interview for Feb. 17th! Can't wait!

I got the email this afternoon with the interview invite for February 18th too!

I stayed at the Hampton inn across the street. It was more expensive but its only a few minute walk from the school. I think it made the day less stressful not having to worry about finding the school or fighting traffic on interview day. Plus the cookies in the lobby were great!

I took your suggestion, and with AAA it was $105. Not bad, especially considering its proximity to campus and the rest of town. It should be nice to check everything out for a day prior to the interview. Also, I will have to look in to those cookies they have.

Good call. And that's way cheaper than I got it at regular rates. It is a good location to walk around town and see everything too.

Good call. And that's way cheaper than I got it at regular rates. It is a good location to walk around town and see everything too.
I should mention that with tax it came to a bit more, but even so the proximity to UPike is great. Excited for the interview...and hopefully an acceptance!

Just be sincere and show them why you want to practice medicine. That's what they really want to see. Also be prepared to explain how you deal with stressful situations.

Just be sincere and show them why you want to practice medicine. That's what they really want to see. Also be prepared to explain how you deal with stressful situations.
That's my intention. Did they ask you about interest in primary care? In my secondary I mentioned my interest in EM, but it is also due to my 5+ years of EMS, much of which in rural areas. Also, you said earlier that the class will be expanded to 135? Any idea of how many interviews and acceptances are given? While I know it's more than statistics, it would be great to know.

Last year, the class size was about 80 students and they got full in March, so don't worry, there are plenty of spots left! There are about 50 students that have joined the facebook group that are most likely attending and some just got accepted following the 2 January interview dates so they have until mid Feb to pay the $1000 deposit.

I would imagine after the Feb interview dates, there won't be that many spots left...perhaps March will be the last month they offer interviews. I believe the dates left are:

Feb 17/18
March 8/9

My interviewers didn't mention primary care much. I don't even remember them asking me if I knew what kind of physician I want to be. I feel like all I really remember is them repeatedly asking me how I deal with stress or how I handle situations that make me uncomfortable. They did ask me why I dropped Calculus and when I answered they kind of flipped it on me but I just tried to use it as an opportunity to say I had grown alot since then. Other than that we really just had a conversation. I would assume there are still plenty of spots open. There were only 15 of us there the day I interviewed in Dec.

My interviewers didn't mention primary care much. I don't even remember them asking me if I knew what kind of physician I want to be. I feel like all I really remember is them repeatedly asking me how I deal with stress or how I handle situations that make me uncomfortable. They did ask me why I dropped Calculus and when I answered they kind of flipped it on me but I just tried to use it as an opportunity to say I had grown alot since then. Other than that we really just had a conversation. I would assume there are still plenty of spots open. There were only 15 of us there the day I interviewed in Dec.
Thanks for the info. You said before they are accepting 135, do you know how many people specifically they will be offering acceptances to in order to fill the class? Also, not sure if you would be aware, but for OOS applicants, is there much difference? I have worked in rural medicine for some time, and would love to as a D.O. too, so it seems like a great fit. Clearly, being invited for an interview is great, and am humbled by the opportunity.

Remind me who you interviewed with...

I was just wondering with regards to stressful or uncomfortable situations are dealt with, did they give you a specific scenario or was it more general? I have been making sure I am able to answer as holistically as possible (see, I really would like to be a DO :p) Anyways, it sounds like the interviewers were all very friendly and conversational. If there are any exceptions please share.

@NJ
Do you know who your interviewers are?

I emailed Angel to confirm my interview and I asked the same question. She said that you can email her the Wednesday before and she'll send you back who your interviewers are.

That was my impression. Thanks for letting me know this. I spoke with her this morning to confirm she received my email confirmation, and she had. It seems as though she has her hands full and understand why you have to get ahold of her in the morning.

No problem. I was wondering the same thing when I got the email. She's hard to get a hold of. I tried calling her the day afterwards and I couldn't get through. Though I had been calling mid afternoon so that was my mistake.

This morning I called around 10:30. Looking at these and prior year threads it looks as though she is best reached at 9 in the morning. She sounds like a popular person!

See I tried calling at 11:30 so she must've already been out of the office. I think I read on one of the forums that they don't have many people that work in the admissions office, but I've skimmed over many forums so I may be wrong about that.

See I tried calling at 11:30 so she must've already been out of the office. I think I read on one of the forums that they don't have many people that work in the admissions office, but I've skimmed over many forums so I may be wrong about that.
I believe that you are correct. Looking at the upike.edu site, she is the only contact in admissions. Whether or not there are other staff there is beyond my knowledge, but it seems that she is the one with the answers.

Try to get in touch with Ronnie Collins

Do you happen to have a contact number for future use? What is Ronnie Collins' position at KYCOM?
admissions director. [email protected] 6062185409
of course the email is for pikeville college... so it might be out of date. this is the info that i got from angelina's automated email response that she wasnt in the office

admissions director. [email protected] 6062185409
of course the email is for pikeville college... so it might be out of date. this is the info that i got from angelina's automated email response that she wasnt in the office
Thank you for providing this. Did you have any impression of how many students are accepted that are interviewed? I want to ensure I do everything in my power to gain an acceptance here! 2

no idea. i was accepted early December

Don't worry about the numbers and percentage of those being interviewed getting accepted. That stuff will drive you crazy and might even stress you out even more for your interview. Just focus on your interview, be yourself, and let them know why you would make a great addition to their class and to the medical field as a future physician.

Don't worry about the numbers and percentage of those being interviewed getting accepted. That stuff will drive you crazy and might even stress you out even more for your interview. Just focus on your interview, be yourself, and let them know why you would make a great addition to their class and to the medical field as a future physician.
That is what I must do, besides I rather not worry about potentially being the small percentage that do not get accepted. Any particular things during the interview that they do/don't like to hear?

Just be honest. The guy before me said that my interviewers said he sounded "scripted". I don't know if he got in, but I haven't seen him in the FB group. Be yourself.

Has anyone applied to KYCOM with a master's degree? And did you finish the degree prior to submitting your application?

Thank you! :)

Has anyone applied to KYCOM with a master's degree? And did you finish the degree prior to submitting your application?

Thank you! :)

I'm finishing up a masters now, will be starting at Pikeville in the fall.

Awesome! Congrats! What is your master's in, are you finished in spring?

I'll finish up in the summer, I'm non-traditional...so im getting a masters in nuclear engineering

I'll finish up in the summer, I'm non-traditional...so im getting a masters in nuclear engineering

That's great, I guess I'm kind of non-traditional myself. I'll be 27 when I'm applying. I was worried that I needed my master's completed on my transcript before applying but I guess the earlier the better! Haha. Thanks!