Pikeville Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long does the actual interview last? Do the interviewers have your app in front of them? Is it a group or individual interview? What do you bring with you? ANY help is appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

ii this morning for dec 7 that I cannot make it to
Complete nov 7, oos

How long does the actual interview last? Do the interviewers have your app in front of them? Is it a group or individual interview? What do you bring with you? ANY help is appreciated :)

Each interview varies in length. I was one of the last ones done in my group and I went for about 30-35min., I think (it may have been longer, I wasn't timing it). It is open file with two interviewers who are faculty members. They are VERY familiar with your application. I brought a portfolio to take notes (not necessary to bring anything, really). I cannot attest to the experience of others, but I had heard that it was a more stressful interview going into it as they tend to criticize your weak points (if you have any). My interview was just that; about 5 minutes of patting me on the back and 30 or so where I was asked to defend a few grades, then 5-10 minutes of my experiences and how they thought I was a great applicant. I had Dr.'s Litman (funny, talkative, and VERY honest/blunt) and Gaska (quiet, also honest/blunt). There were no trick questions or questions about ethics/healthcare. My interview was very strictly related to my application. I hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else that has been accepted been able to find anything on apartments/houses in Pikeville? I haven't received anything from Angel Hamilton yet and online searches pretty much lead to nothing!

Each interview varies in length. I was one of the last ones done in my group and I went for about 30-35min., I think (it may have been longer, I wasn't timing it). It is open file with two interviewers who are faculty members. They are VERY familiar with your application. I brought a portfolio to take notes (not necessary to bring anything, really). I cannot attest to the experience of others, but I had heard that it was a more stressful interview going into it as they tend to criticize your weak points (if you have any). My interview was just that; about 5 minutes of patting me on the back and 30 or so where I was asked to defend a few grades, then 5-10 minutes of my experiences and how they thought I was a great applicant. I had Dr.'s Litman (funny, talkative, and VERY honest/blunt) and Gaska (quiet, also honest/blunt). There were no trick questions or questions about ethics/healthcare. My interview was very strictly related to my application. I hope that helps.
Thanks so much! Also, anyone who has interviewed, out of the 4 hotels: hampton, holiday inn, landmark inn, and brookshire inn...which do you guys suggest and why? Thanks :)

Thanks so much! Also, anyone who has interviewed, out of the 4 hotels: hampton, holiday inn, landmark inn, and brookshire inn...which do you guys suggest and why? Thanks :)

I stayed at the Holiday Inn, but the Hampton Inn is practically across the street from the college (I think) so that is really nice. So either one of those would be good I'm sure!

Yeah I think I'm about to submit it pretty soon. Housing isn't too bad, I just got the rental application from the main realtor and probably going to go through them. They said for 1 bedroom its 600 for 2 its 700 so it's pretty decent. But finding available rooms is going to be a challenge once it gets closer to march cause they fill up quick!

What realtor did you use? I haven't been able to find much online. I have called and talked to a few people in Admissions and even emailed Angel Hamilton, but haven't gotten a response. If you have any info, I would really appreciate it!

For anyone outside of KY, how did you get to the school? Airpline? Is the closest national airport seriously ~2hrs away from the school? And if so, is our only option a taxi/car rentalfrom the airport 2 hours to a hotel near the school? Please help with this transportation issue :) Thank you

For anyone outside of KY, how did you get to the school? Airpline? Is the closest national airport seriously ~2hrs away from the school? And if so, is our only option a taxi/car rentalfrom the airport 2 hours to a hotel near the school? Please help with this transportation issue :) Thank you

from what I know, the nearest airport is 2 hours away. Driving from there is your best bet =/

I flew my family in a small plane to pike county airport which is only a few miles from KYCOM. When we landed I met another pilot that flies charter planes in the area. His company was based in Louisville I think. If you didn't want to make the drive in a rental from Lexington you may be able to charter a small plane to Pike county airport.

Just declined my II and withdrew my application from here. Good luck everyone!

I flew my family in a small plane to pike county airport which is only a few miles from KYCOM. When we landed I met another pilot that flies charter planes in the area. His company was based in Louisville I think. If you didn't want to make the drive in a rental from Lexington you may be able to charter a small plane to Pike county airport.
Thanks. Anyone who has interviewed, what should we bring with us to the interview? What is the typical interview day like? Experience? Suggestions? Thanks :)

Thanks. Anyone who has interviewed, what should we bring with us to the interview? What is the typical interview day like? Experience? Suggestions? Thanks :)

It's pretty chill. You split up into two groups after an initial introduction. One group goes to the interviews and the other group goes to a tour of the campus. All the interviews were really conversational and they really just want to see what type of person you are and what brings you to apply to their school. It's really just about getting to know you and see if you fit.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's pretty chill. You split up into two groups after an initial introduction. One group goes to the interviews and the other group goes to a tour of the campus. All the interviews were really conversational and they really just want to see what type of person you are and what brings you to apply to their school. It's really just about getting to know you and see if you fit.
Thank you. Should we bring anything with us? And I thought it was an individual interview, not a group?--can you please clarify this. And, how long is the actual interview itself?

Thank you. Should we bring anything with us? And I thought it was an individual interview, not a group?--can you please clarify this. And, how long is the actual interview itself?

You interview individually, they just split you into two groups after the introduction. My interview lasted around 30 minutes I think.

I literally just brought my keys and ID.

If you like to take notes, a pen and pad of paper isn't a bad idea.

I emailed them declining my II and to withdraw my application...Today I received another email offering me an interview haha.

Anyone who interviewed this saturday (12/8/12), post when you hear ANY news back from Admissions. Good luck :)

You guys probably should hear back wednesday or thursday. I know I interviewed on a friday and heard back thursday morning. Those that interviewed the saturday after me got the call thursday afternoon.

Good luck everyone :) Make sure you join the group when you get in xD

Congrats to those that got good news! Good luck to those still waiting.

When I interviewed, the adcom member said that the most recent test yielded 4 failures out of 70 students taking it. That's 94%.

When I interviewed, the adcom member said that the most recent test yielded 4 failures out of 70 students taking it. That's 94%.
Is this reliable data? If the stats are so good, then why not post them on the website rather than hiding that info? I'm just a bit wary of this because all the other forums say stay away from KYCOM and that it's pass rate even in 2010 was ~65%. Any insight is appreciated, especially from current KYCOM students

I had heard that as well but after talking to some of the students it seems that it's not the case. They have pretty good scores and prepare you well.

From what I can tell the school puts a lot of resources into ensuring their students are passing and I dont have any reason to believe that I am being deceived. They provide a prep course and pay for the exams. The schools curriculum is similar to many others and Im sure their professors are hit and miss just like anywhere else. No matter where you go you will have to put in loads of effort in order to be a physician. If you want good data on board pass rates then you have to go to the source. SDN will always be second hand for that sort of data. Having said that, I picked KYCOM over other schools because they had a good support system for families and they tend to graduate rural primary care physicians. I think board pass rates are important too, but I was satisfied with the answers I was provided.

If you dont hear from KYCOM the week after your interview, does that mean you will be rejected/waitlisted? Or is there still a chance?

Got an interview today, verified 11/28.

This would be my first pick school, glad my foot is in the door!

You still have a chance. Depending on the Dean's schedule, it may take a while before you hear back. I think I heard back a couple weeks after my interview

So I had my interview, and I have a few concerns. Mostly about the faculty. One of the current students mentioned they have a lot of new faculty and had a lot leave last year. Nobody seemed to know why they left. And the ones that were there...none seem active in research at all. One of the interviewers looked as if he barely made it out of bed and couldn't be bothered to shave or cut his hair to look good for interviews. Overall, I was very disappointed in that aspect. But I've had friends go here that liked it, so I'm torn. I'm also a bit concerned about the community, it seems very backwater.

Thoughts? Am I making a mistake by going elsewhere? This was my top choice before having seen any of the schools, but now seems to be a distant third.

So I had my interview, and I have a few concerns. Mostly about the faculty. One of the current students mentioned they have a lot of new faculty and had a lot leave last year. Nobody seemed to know why they left. And the ones that were there...none seem active in research at all. One of the interviewers looked as if he barely made it out of bed and couldn't be bothered to shave or cut his hair to look good for interviews. Overall, I was very disappointed in that aspect. But I've had friends go here that liked it, so I'm torn. I'm also a bit concerned about the community, it seems very backwater.

Thoughts? Am I making a mistake by going elsewhere? This was my top choice before having seen any of the schools, but now seems to be a distant third.

Of the faculty who left last year (3 professors total), two took positions at institutions closer to their home states / families and the other was working full-time as a KYCOM professor and full-time as an instructor for Falcon and just couldn't pull off both gigs at the same time. You were probably just speaking with current first year students who never knew these professors - no reason for concern there.

As for the research aspect, I know of at least two basic sciences faculty that are currently active in research, but you're right - KYCOM is not a research-heavy institution. If you want to become the world's most renowned researcher in neonatal psychiatric dermatology then you'd probably be better served elsewhere. There is absolutely no pressure on the faculty at KYCOM to get published, which is good from a student's perspective because the instructors are there to TEACH (as opposed to being consumed in their research and not giving a crap about who you are, where you're from, how you're doing in class, etc.). Many of our faculty are practicing clinicans and not just PhDs who have never actually worked up a patient (again - you probably spent most of your interview day with first years who haven't had many of our clinical courses yet). Even if you aren't being taught about celiac disease by the country's top researchers in gastroenterology, you're being taught by their colleagues who are putting the most up to date standards of care into practice on a daily basis.

The most important thing to think about when picking a medical school (if you have the luxury of picking) is "Where will I be most able to succeed?" If you think a professor with a scruffy beard will hinder your development into a competent physician, then you need to go somewhere where that's not an issue. Same thing with living in a rural community during your pre-clinical years or only having a couple of your professors actively involved in research - if you think you'd be better off in the long run by going somewhere else, go somewhere else. At the end of the day, your's is the only opinion that matters. Go with your gut, and take any information from an anonymous online forum with a grain of salt.

I got waitlisted. Anyone here have any idea about how many get in off the waitlist? And when we can expect to hear anything?

Im not sure whether to be hopeful or not. Im wondering if maybe the waitlist is just there to fill 1-2 seats in case of last-minute withdraws from those who were accepted.

No you're not making a mistake. My experience was very similar to yours. Going into the interview I had high hopes for this school. But my interviewers seemed disorganized and did not present themselves well. I got the feeling the faculty is just there to be paid, not really involved or passionate. A current student also mentioned the faculty problem. The community, well.... I just was not impressed at all. Very strange school. Waste of time money and effort all together.

It was my first interview and acceptance, but I withdrew because I got acceptances at other schools, thank god.

The bottom line is, this is a low tier DO school (possibly at the very bottom of the list) and so this is to be expected. I feel as though the students that end up attending here did so because they couldn't get in anywhere else. If you have the option to go elsewhere, do so...

No you're not making a mistake. My experience was very similar to yours. Going into the interview I had high hopes for this school. But my interviewers seemed disorganized and did not present themselves well. I got the feeling the faculty is just there to be paid, not really involved or passionate. A current student also mentioned the faculty problem. The community, well.... I just was not impressed at all. Very strange school. Waste of time money and effort all together.

It was my first interview and acceptance, but I withdrew because I got acceptances at other schools, thank god.

The bottom line is, this is a low tier DO school (possibly at the very bottom of the list) and so this is to be expected. I feel as though the students that end up attending here did so because they couldn't get in anywhere else. If you have the option to go elsewhere, do so...
In all honesty, isn't attending this established school better than attending a new school where you're the experimental class and there will be many kinks in the system?

In all honesty, isn't attending this established school better than attending a new school where you're the experimental class and there will be many kinks in the system?

You would think. But I interviewed at 2 of the 3 new schools, and even though they're new, I felt like they were on top of everything. More importantly, I sensed they had ambition and the drive to make a name for themselves. That's important in any school as it benefits the students in many ways.

I didn't get that sense from KYCOM, I felt as though they are content with being the bottomdwellers of the medical school spectrum. The cheapish tuition and bonuses they throw in (that they were sure to mention at the interview in a very used car salesman-like fashion) help with their appeal im sure, but not enough for someone who wants the best preparation they can get for the important 50+ year long career of being a physician.

Well it is safe to say we had completely different experiences. I have interviewed at seven schools and have been accepted to four. Out of all my interviews, KYCOM was the most impressive. I interviewed on the first day of interviews so maybe that had something to do with EVERYONE'S eagerness to answer all my questions and be professional. One 2nd student annoyed me because he came off as an arrogant dbag, but besides him everyone from the admissions staff to SAA advocate was great!

I choose this school because of the family like atmosphere, great facilities, and proximity to home. The cheap tuition is also a big plus. In the end we are all going to be doctors so go where you'll be happy and end up with the least amount of debt.

Also not sure why you think it is at the bottom of list just because you had a bad day. I had a horrible interview day at Ga-PCOM but I didn't brand it as the bottom of the barrel and it was only founded in 2005. Either way don't contribute to the large amount of speculation regarding KYCOM's "ranking" unless you have something other than a bad day to go on. Between your bad day and my great day it would make them average in rank, but we don't really know do we. I have talked to plenty of KYCOM's students and have heard good things from all of them.

Also not sure why you think it is at the bottom of list just because you had a bad day. I had a horrible interview day at Ga-PCOM but I didn't brand it as the bottom of the barrel and it was only founded in 2005. Either way don't contribute to the large amount of speculation regarding KYCOM's "ranking" unless you have something other than a bad day to go on. Between your bad day and my great day it would make them average in rank, but we don't really know do we. I have talked to plenty of KYCOM's students and have heard good things from all of them.

I didn't brand KYCOM as a result of a bad day, its a fact they are a low tier DO school. Look at stats anywhere. Though I'm sure the bad day defense is easier to swallow.

People don't apply to KYCOM for its respected program, reputation for producing great physicians, etc. More like they apply because they have low GPA, MCAT, and want a safetly school they actually have a shot at.

People go to KYCOM because:
1 - It is close to their hometown/family
2 - They couldn't get in anywhere else.

I'm not posting here to argue with current students/future students that decided on KYCOM. If you love it then great, goodluck. I'm here to warn potential students who might be unaware and who I'm sure appreciate as much insight as they can get for a better idea of where to invest their time and hard earned money. I wish someone had done so before I interviewed at KYCOM.

Last edited:
I didn't brand KYCOM as a result of a bad day, its a fact they are a low tier DO school. Look at stats anywhere. Though I'm sure the bad day defense is easier to swallow.

Would you please post some links to reputable sources to validate this?

Is there an "accepted students" facebook group? Also, any suggestions on housing? I would appreciate inside and in-depth details, so if you prefer, please PM me.

People don't apply to KYCOM for its respected program, reputation for producing great physicians, etc. More like they apply because they have low GPA, MCAT, and want a safetly school they actually have a shot at.

People go to KYCOM because:
1 - It is close to their hometown/family
2 - They couldn't get in anywhere else.

I'm not posting here to argue with current students/future students that decided on KYCOM. If you love it then great, goodluck. I'm here to warn potential students who might be unaware and who I'm sure appreciate as much insight as they can get for a better idea of where to invest their time and hard earned money. I wish someone had done so before I interviewed at KYCOM.

I wish someone had done so before I interviewed at KYCOM..... Yeah this just sounds like you are a disgruntled interviewee. I would take what this kid has to say with a grain of salt. I could shoot holes in his statement but I have better things to do with my time

Research is going to get started up again in the spring. The lab is brand new and hasn't fully been completed yet (several machines haven't come in/been setup yet). .. That's why research isn't very visible as of now. I know this summer, there will be at least 3 projects going on and we'll be participating on them. (Maybe... I haven't decided if I really want to spend my last summer of freedom in a research lab and not out on the beach with a tall, cold beer.)

The interviewer you had, if it is who I think it is, is one of the researchers and is a phenomenal lecturer.

Is there an apartment/rental complexes where the renters are all just med students (not random people)? Also, does the school only use simulators instead of cadavers?

I have an interview on Saturday, 1/12/13. Has anyone interviewed for the class of 2017 who can shed some light on what to expect? KYCOM is my first choice among all schools applied for. Any help would be great... Thank You!!!

Congrats to those that got good news! Good luck to those still waiting.

What type of questions should I be prepared for? I interview this Saturday and am looking to be as prepared as possible. ANY insight would be greatly appreciated.