Pikeville Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview Invite today for 2/22/13! Any advice for interviews?
See you there =D

Members don't see this ad.

Still waiting on a phone call........ :confused: Anyone have any luck?

Members don't see this ad :)
Roommate signed up for it when he interviewed. Had an open room he put on fb and I took it

I live there. What do you want to know?
How do you like it? What don't you like? Do you walk or drive to the school? Are the Branch Apartments mostly full of KYCOM students? Is it a loud and dirty place? Thanks :)

Has anyone received a phone call from the 2/8 interview..... I'm starting to feel like I may have a silent rejection coming my way.... or just one in an email. :(

How do you like it? What don't you like? Do you walk or drive to the school? Are the Branch Apartments mostly full of KYCOM students? Is it a loud and dirty place? Thanks :)

It's a place to live. It was built fast and there are some things wrong with it but its a roof over your head. I'm not a fan of the small space I have. I drive to school, sometimes we carpool. It's mostly students with a few hospital employees tossed in. It's pretty nice.

Has anyone received a phone call from the 2/8 interview..... I'm starting to feel like I may have a silent rejection coming my way.... or just one in an email. :(

You'll get notification either way

You'll get notification either way

Thanks, tenndoc. I guess at this point I'm waiting to see if I've been waitlisted or rejected. I see ppl in my interview that are on the KYCOM c/o 2017 FB page so I guess I didn't get in.

Hello everyone. Need some advice. Its been about 4 months since my supplement has been submitted and I have yet to hear anything back. Is this typical? I have not received a rejection letter or anything.

Thanks, tenndoc. I guess at this point I'm waiting to see if I've been waitlisted or rejected. I see ppl in my interview that are on the KYCOM c/o 2017 FB page so I guess I didn't get in.

You nvr know. You're still alive until you get the rejection so don't get down

Hello everyone. Need some advice. Its been about 4 months since my supplement has been submitted and I have yet to hear anything back. Is this typical? I have not received a rejection letter or anything.

Check your spam folder maybe

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a place to live. It was built fast and there are some things wrong with it but its a roof over your head. I'm not a fan of the small space I have. I drive to school, sometimes we carpool. It's mostly students with a few hospital employees tossed in. It's pretty nice.
Thanks, what are some things you dislike about it and what would you say is "wrong" about the place?

Talked to angel today after class. 78 spots have been filled. There are about 15 waitlist spots taken now (out of how many idk). And the last round of interviews have been called or mailed notifications

Talked to angel today after class. 78 spots have been filled. There are about 15 waitlist spots taken now (out of how many idk). And the last round of interviews have been called or mailed notifications

Interesting. Their class size will increase to ~115 for fall 2013 if I'm not mistaken? So 78 seems a bit low at this point in the cycle. How common is it for KYCOM to pull from their waitlist? Even if all 15 waitlist spots are accepted, they'd still have to do another 1-3 interview days so fill the rest of their spots with quality applicants. and I'd imagine by now most applicants have already been accepted somewhere and are making the arrangements for fall already.

Now if KYCOM's class size is still ~83..then it seems about right at this point.

Class expanded to 135 last yr (my yr).

135 wow...So they only admitted just over half of their entering class so far, and we're approaching KYCOM's deadline for secondary applications. Lot of spots to fill in a short time.

Wow I feel crazy honored now. I never thought I was going to get in, went into the interview still feeling like I wasn't going to get in, then got the call and was just in awe for a solid week. Nice to meet everyone, Class of 2017. I can't wait to bust my ass! Anyway, this whole housing thing is confusing the hell out of me. I have a fulltime job now and haven't had the luxury to search constantly for a place. I have been doing a lot of the paperwork for school. Anyone heading down to check out all of the apartments? Any ideas if people will be living by themselves? My girlfriend wouldn't be living with me but we have talked about it sometime down the line. I hate that it is just 6 months away. SO MUCH TO DO! Congrats everyone.

Oh and if anyone has ideas of the best places to look for a place, I think my budget is 500-600 right now.

Wow I feel crazy honored now. I never thought I was going to get in, went into the interview still feeling like I wasn't going to get in, then got the call and was just in awe for a solid week. Nice to meet everyone, Class of 2017. I can't wait to bust my ass! Anyway, this whole housing thing is confusing the hell out of me. I have a fulltime job now and haven't had the luxury to search constantly for a place. I have been doing a lot of the paperwork for school. Anyone heading down to check out all of the apartments? Any ideas if people will be living by themselves? My girlfriend wouldn't be living with me but we have talked about it sometime down the line. I hate that it is just 6 months away. SO MUCH TO DO! Congrats everyone.

Oh and if anyone has ideas of the best places to look for a place, I think my budget is 500-600 right now.

You aren't going to find much for that budget. Find a roommate.

Congratulations on getting in! I found a place for $650 a month 1 bed room so it is possible but as tenndoc said, it's definitely difficult. Especially since a lot of people are looking right now. Go check out the fb page, people are posting stuff on there all the time for housing.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/447810261942769/

Just checked in to the holiday inn! about to go check out the school. Any advice for my interview tomorrow? Anything I should specifically know?

Just checked in to the holiday inn! about to go check out the school. Any advice for my interview tomorrow? Anything I should specifically know?

I am at the holiday inn too and am interviewing tomorrow! see you there and good luck! =)

I can't speak from experience because I'm a first year, but our rotations are set up with hub sites, where we select the site via a rotation lottery and we spend the entire third year at that site. This is really helpful for one because we won't be searching for housing every 6-8 weeks because of moving to different locations, but also because we don't have to set anything up with each rotation. We know going into it where we will be and what we will be doing.

I have heard from students at other schools that they had to do all of the planning and that many people who do not have connections with physicians in that area struggle. We don't have to do that at KYCOM.

I just missed a call from Dean Buser =[ The ONE time I dont have my phone glued to me!

I got in =D Congrats to everyone else who got a phone call today, too!

Congrats!!! Which person were you at the interview!? I was the girl from texas in the gray suit

Congrats!!! Which person were you at the interview!? I was the girl from texas in the gray suit

Congratulations! It's good to know there will be at least 2 Texans in our class.

Hello everyone! I just received an interview invite. I am scheduled for next friday and wanted to know whats the best way of getting there? What airport is closest to fly into and where is the best place to stay at? Thanks!

Hello everyone! I just received an interview invite. I am scheduled for next friday and wanted to know whats the best way of getting there? What airport is closest to fly into and where is the best place to stay at? Thanks!
I flew in to the airport in Bristol Tennessee and rented a car. It's about a two hour drive. Holiday in is like a mile away

I interviewed at KYCOM last Friday, February 22. I haven't received a call from Dean Buser yet. I called Angel Hamilton, the admissions coordinator, on the following Wednesday and Thursday, and she said that Dean Buser is still sending out calls. She said that it would take a few weeks before all the calls were sent out. Is that true? Has anyone received calls after Wednesday or Thursday? Thanks.

Last edited:
I interviewed at KYCOM last Saturday, February 23. I haven't received a call from Dean Buser yet. I called Angel Hamilton, the admissions coordinator, on the following Wednesday and Thursday, and she said that Dean Buser is still sending out calls. She said that it would take a few weeks before all the calls were sent out. Is that true? Has anyone received calls after Wednesday or Thursday? Thanks.
i interviewed the 22nd and got called that Tuesday

Hey

Did anyone else who interviewed on 3/8 or 3/9 hear back yet if they got in?