Pikeville Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed on Saturday March 9th and I didn't hear anything today. I was curious too, if anyone had heard anything... or when the last time someone did was.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone from 3/8 or 9 heard anything?

I interviewed on 3/8, haven’t heard anything yet. The 2017 facebook group only shows one new member this week. Makes me wonder if anyone has been called yet. I am going to contact Mrs. Hamilton tomorrow if I don’t hear anything today.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also looked at the facebook group and thought I saw about 4 people added this week. I really would like to hear back today! What about waitlisted..do they email, call or mail you?

I also looked at the facebook group and thought I saw about 4 people added this week. I really would like to hear back today! What about waitlisted..do they email, call or mail you?
I heard back yesterday. Dr. Betz called and said I was accepted for this upcoming semester. woo! I don't think it has hit me just yet. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to send out the email for what to do next (deposit, housing, etc.)? Also, how long do I have to make the deposit? 30 days?

Congrats! Good luck in med school! I am guessing that means I did not get in. Wonder how they notify of waitlist spots or on hold for the next year spots?

Hey Yall, I interviewed on March 8th and was accepted on the 12th. Does anyone know how to join the facebook group or have info on housing? Thank you! Good luck to all.

For people who've decided on attending KYCOM, can you please share what made you choose this school? I think a lot of us can use this input to guide us. Thanks

What is the link to the FB group?

I heard back yesterday. Dr. Betz called and said I was accepted for this upcoming semester. woo! I don't think it has hit me just yet. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to send out the email for what to do next (deposit, housing, etc.)? Also, how long do I have to make the deposit? 30 days?
took mine about a week and a half to come in and the 1,000 dollar deposit was due like 3 days later. so be aware of that!

For people who've decided on attending KYCOM, can you please share what made you choose this school? I think a lot of us can use this input to guide us. Thanks
I liked that they paid for books, boards, scrubs, etc. Loved the small class size that promoted a family atmosphere. All of the students seemed to enjoy their time there. Liked the small town. Liked the curriculum. Liked the opportunity to do 3rd and 4th year rotations in a variety of places. They also have a good residency match list. While their primary focus is primary care, they match a good number of students to other specialties.

Members don't see this ad :)
I liked that they paid for books, boards, scrubs, etc. Loved the small class size that promoted a family atmosphere. All of the students seemed to enjoy their time there. Liked the small town. Liked the curriculum. Liked the opportunity to do 3rd and 4th year rotations in a variety of places. They also have a good residency match list. While their primary focus is primary care, they match a good number of students to other specialties.
thanks for your input. It would be great if more people can chime in on why they chose KYCOM

KYCOM VS. LMU-DCOM

which one should I chose?

Hard to say without you giving us any criteria for what you want... So elaborate on what you're looking for/like/want

I chose to attend KYCOM out of 4 for several reasons.
1) Closest to my family (albeit 5 hours)
2) Kycom Advantage- seemed like a great deal to me
3)SAA- I'm married and really liked the idea of her having a support system (especially now that we are expecting :0)
4) The family atmosphere really seemed to exist amongst the prof and students on my interview day.
5) I have spoken to several ppl who are attending/have attended and all had good things to say about the school.
6) The EM Cheif Resident at my hospital is a boss and a former graduate from KYCOM.
7) The mountains and small town are my thing.
8) The new facilities seemed pretty dang awesome.
9) They have been around since 1997 so despite the unfounded crap floating around here on SDN, I think that definitely counts for something.

I believe that was most of my reasoning.

I am pretty excited about starting here in July. I had an absolute great interview day with them. I have been to ~7 medical school interviews (MD&DO) and KYCOM beat the competition for me. I really felt like it was a great choice for me because it just seemed to fit.Hope that helps

Waitlisted. :( Wonder how much movement they have on their waitlist.

Is there a Pikeville student Health Insurance? Or do people generally get their own individual plans?

Is there a Pikeville student Health Insurance? Or do people generally get their own individual plans?

We don't have a Pikeville insurance but they recommend student insurance through SOMA I believe. I have it, it's $250/mo and I've only used it once to get my teeth cleaned. I'd recommend finding something cheaper online.

For Pikeville I turned my application in January. I know the chances of getting in are slim...but either way they are suppose to email if you got an interview or not right?!

I declined my acceptance today. Hopefully someone can take my spot who is on the wait list. Best of luck everyone...

Is it worth it for an Illinois resident to apply here?

I assume you are asking for applying for next years cycle? And the answer is yes! My class has a wide variety of students. Several from the Chicago area, some from as far as Washington state and Cali.

got an interview invite this morning for pikeville for next friday 4/12 one of the last interview days which is my birthday so hopefully it goes decent. spots are very limited, idk how many are left, but at least interviewing will be a good experience. i am nervous and wonder what exactly they are gonna ask.

got an interview invite this morning for pikeville for next friday 4/12 one of the last interview days which is my birthday so hopefully it goes decent. spots are very limited, idk how many are left, but at least interviewing will be a good experience. i am nervous and wonder what exactly they are gonna ask.

KYCOM interviews are very laid back. Traditional med school questions...why do you want to be a doctor, why a DO? May ask about grades or MCAT if a legit issue (I had a low MCAT but wasn't even asked about it in my interview last year). Main thing is to be yourself and let the, know why you want to be here.

As far as spots, I heard there were still a few spots, but they have a wait list as well as people who have been accepted for the class of 2018.

Good luck!

Yeah applying this summer. And that's good news! I thought pikeville was extremely biased towards their region.

I think they traditionally accepted mostly ky residents, but they increased the class size this year so my class has a wide variety of students.

I interviewed back on March 9th. I was waitlisted. Anyone have any info about their waitlist? Typically how many move off it? Is it ranked, how?

does anybody know how full the class is? i have an interview next friday at pikeville and heard they expanded the class. i was wondering if anybody knew how many seats will be in the class and how many are left. so far this is the only school i have received an interview for and am kinda suprised. stats not so great with a cgpa of 3.36 sci gpa of 3.15 from a good undergrad and took mcat few times with 25 the highest.

Hey guys! I was accepted to KYCOM for this upcoming fall but chose to defer for a year. So I hope one of you gets my spot! See you guys next fall!

What are the specifics on the resources provided to students...brand of laptop, etc.? Thanks!

just got the call and was accepted. probably going to be for next fall but could be for this fall if spots open up. 1st acceptance. i'm excited and shocked also. didn't think it was gonna happen.

thanks. i think my interview went very well which is what put me over the top. i am from ohio. would really like to know soon if i will be starting this fall or next fall, but i'm so psyched i got in.

Default Clinical roataion for 3rd and 4th year
It would be great if someone can answer this question:

I have questions about clinical rotations 3rd and 4th year for KYCOM

I know there are both selective and elective rotations. Is the 3rd year filled with selective rotations and most of the 4th is filled with Elective rotations. Is that an Correct??

Also, What is the difference between selective and elective rotations??
For elective rotations what are guidelines ? Can we choose any hospital?

Thanks.

Have any of the accepted students discovered any information on housing?

I normally wouldn't worry, except I did not get the impression there was on-campus housing for medical students, and the town is small.

I would expect the quite a few students to be called off the wait list. I know a few individuals with multiple acceptances that they are considering.
Good luck!

I was wondering if the current students at KYCOM can answer this. How do you like your experience at KYCOM? The curriculum? the staff and professors? the best and worst about KYCOM?

thanks

I was wondering if the current students at KYCOM can answer this. How do you like your experience at KYCOM? The curriculum? the staff and professors? the best and worst about KYCOM?

thanks

My experience at KYCOM has been great. It has its ups and downs, such as the new building. We love the new facilities compared to the old one, but being the first year they're using it, we're going through some growing pains. Secondly, we hired a couple of new teachers this year and its been a little bit of a learning curve for them as well. Overall I think there are some things that could be better here, but at the same time every school has something to complain about.

Hi

I was wondering if any current students could comment on the housing situation, it is late to start looking now? Also, for the laptop and iPad provided by KYCOM, do we keep those or are we borrowing them for the 4 years of med school?

Thanks in advance

Sam,
See my post on the KYCOM Facebook page, also all the gadgets are for keeps. Can you imagine the school having to deal with 4 yr old iPads every year? Ain't nobody got time for that!

Sam,
See my post on the KYCOM Facebook page, also all the gadgets are for keeps. Can you imagine the school having to deal with 4 yr old iPads every year? Ain't nobody got time for that!

Pretty cool it is all for keeps. I know we actually end up probably paying for it all ultimately but its nice not having to come up with extra $ for the books, tech, and other crap we need in the beginning.

Anyone know how many have been accepted so far? Been waitlisted for awhile now with no word.

Out of the 83 students in the class of 2015, 49 are Kentucky residents (~59%). Ohio and Indiana residents make up the majority of our OOS students, but we also have students from Virginia, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Michigan, Illinois, and Pennsylvania.

Hey guys,

I'm interested in applying here but I'm a WA resident and it looks like they don't really like us out here on the west coast :(. My stats are: sGPA and cGPA about 3.5ish (I'm taking three science classes this year though, so those should go up), 26O MCAT, lots of experience shadowing physicians and working in an ER but not much rural hospital experience, but I've participated in a lot of non-medical mission trips that help underserved populations (building houses in middle-of-nowhere Mexico, helping migrant workers, etc.)

Anyone think I should still apply? I'm not particularly attached to the school but it looks really good...

Talk to Ronnie Collins. He's the admissions director. We have 5 people from the west coast in the 2016 class including 2 from Wa, 2 from CA, and 1 from AZ.

was accepted into the class of 2018 in april, but just got the call today that spots have opened up in the class of 2017 and i am most likely thinking of taking it. didn't expect at all for this to happen as i was told the chances were very slim. any advice on how to prepare myself mentally and find a place to live and a roomate in 5 weeks? i am panicking and need to make the decision by tomorrow, but i think i want to move up into the class of 2017. i just need to know if it is realistic to find a place and get a roomate that soon and any more advice.

Hey guys I also have an OOS question. I was born and raised in western rural KY till I was thirteen. I am in Utah now and am applying this year. I already applied my stats are cGPA 3.55 and sGPA 3.37 and 31M MCAT. I would really like to at least get an interview here because I am super interested in the school since I am thinking heavily about rural primary care. Would my history with KY help me land an interview? I still have two brothers living in Murray KY now so thats a plus too.

Mjkobe, just take the 2017 acceptance, join the KYCOM 2017 group and you will find housing, there's no point in adding a year and losing a year if you know you want to come to Pikeville.

yeah i accepted the offer to join the class of 2017. am in the process of looking for housing and stuff. hopefully i can get a decent place to live and things taken care of soon.

Got accepted here today!!! First accpetance, after trying 3 rounds! Looking around at places to live with my family and there is nothing! Where do people live?

is anyone looking for a roommate or person to live with? i am looking for a roommate and was wondering if anybody wants to live together?

Dad of four,
Make sure you join the facebook page for the class of 2017. Also pick up a Mountain Trader Classified ad and the Appalachian express classifieds. Both of which you can get at the Express news office.