Pilot Vs. Doctor

AmazingMan101

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I've always wanted to become a Doctor and an Airline Pilot. I can double major in Medicinal Biochemistry (Pre-Med) and Aeronautical Science (Professional Piloting) and see which one works out if the other one does not. If med school doesn't work out, I'll be able to fly because the program will grant me a Private, Commercial, and Instructors piloting license. And if med school does work out, then I will be able to continue with medicine and when I am all done, I would be able to fly for fun which I've always dreamed of. Would double majoring in Pre-Med and Aeronautical Science be toooo much? Has anyone done it before? Will it allow for me to get the Highest GPA possibly for med school? Please let me know, I have time to decide but I want to be 100% clear before I graduate hs. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Come guys! I need all the help/viewpoints I can get!

I don't think you could be both an airline pilot and a doctor. Either one is going to take so much time that you would have to give up on the other. Medical school pretty much eclipses everything else. Getting your ATP and the thousands of hours of flight time it takes to be a viable candidate for an airline job would be similarly exclusive. Even then you'd have to be willing to take some less attractive jobs with smaller operations and you still would not really be competative with the military guys. It might be a possibility to go into school and work toward both with the plan that you will make a decision to go one way or the other once you see where your talents are.

It is possible to be a doctor and be a private pilot although doctors are notoriously bad pilots and other pilots make fun of them. The bad doctor pilot reputation was strong enough that back in the day V tailed Bonanzas had the nickname "Fork tailed doctor killers."

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol^ Thanks man! Well the program that I want to complete said they will guarantee a "interview" with a airline company. Do you know if the Co-pilot of a airplane has to have a ATP? Or only the captain?

Newsflash, you can't drink and then come to work. You're not airline pilots.

Okay, so I've always wanted to become a Doctor and an Airline Pilot. I can double major in Medicinal Biochemistry (Pre-Med) and Aeronautical Science (Professional Piloting) and see which one works out if the other one does not. If med school doesn't work out, I'll be able to fly because the program will grant me a Private, Commercial, and Instructors piloting license. And if med school does work out, then I will be able to continue with medicine and when I am all done, I would be able to fly for fun which I've always dreamed of. Would double majoring in Pre-Med and Aeronautical Science be toooo much? Has anyone done it before? Will it allow for me to get the Highest GPA possibly for med school? Please let me know, I have time to decide but I want to be 100% clear before I graduate hs. Thanks :)

You could look into military medicine. I was planning on joining the navy for that and they have an option to work as flight surgeon (primary care doc for the pilots) after a year of internship and before your residency. they send you to like a 7 months flight school and you actually have to fly several hours per month. there are some people who have dual designation of both doctor and aviator, but from what i have heard, it is rare. but since you will already have the education and lisence, i don't think it will be very difficult to get dual designation.

Typically those big commercial airplanes are headed by pilots with years and years of military experience and aerodynamics training. If you would just get a college degree, if you would be hired to be a pilot you would most likely be bound to small transport planes (still very unlikely) or small freight planes. Aeronautical science degrees that I've seen have become more tailored for those wishing to become air traffic controllers.

docB hit it just right.

I wanted to be a pilot in high school. I took pilot lessons. Didn't take me long to figure out how nasty the field was being around pilots. I would NEVER want to work in the civilian sector of aviation. The only job I would say worth having is being a pilot in the military. Good luck getting into one of the academies (harder than the ivy league).

Multiple family members of mine are doctors or dentists and have their licenses/planes. Which is the best thing to do.

Thank you guys, I need more opinions! please. And just an update, I'm not saying I want to be both a Doctor AND an Airline Pilot, I'm saying would it be a good idea to double major in (Professional Piloting) and Medicinal BIochem and work harder towards med school and if that works out, I will still have the license to fly, but if I cannot get into medschool I will be able to start working if the "guaranteed" interview goes well?

I am a former Navy F/A-18 pilot and am now in med school. I am also a CFI and have my ATP. I have plenty of friends who are now airline or cargo (FedEx and UPS) pilots. I will say this about being an airline pilot: it beats a desk job. In fact it isn't a bad job at all. However, it is a pretty crappy career. At the higher end it is all unionized. You don't promote based on skill, you promote based on time and people above you retiring. If you get in with the right company things are okay, but the wrong one and things blow. Even guys in the right company worry because Pan Am was the best ... Until they disappeared. Same for Braniff and United had the best contract in history that was signed in 1998 or 1999. Everyone wanted United and guys who couldn't get in and went to Southwest were laughed at. Guess who's laughing now? Not the United guys.

There is a massive wave of mandatory retirements approaching and it will continue for several years and not nearly enough qualified applicants to fill the void. You will have to work some seriously crappy jobs to build your hours as even regionals require copilots to have an ATP, which itself requires 1500 hours. You also have to go where the job is because there aren't always open jobs where you want to live. Having said all that, it still beats a desk job and is way easier than med school and residency.

Some of my friends are happy with airline life, but the ones who were most like me are not happy with that life. For me, during my first solo multi-leg cross country flight in a Hornet I was bored out of my mind with about 2 hours at 36,000 ft and nothing to do before my next turn or decent. That is airline flying: take off, auto pilot, land. Repeat as necessary. If you are okay with that, you can see some cool places if you are on a good route and schedule. I was not okay with that after the stuff I was used to flying Hornets.

Flying is awesome and I will continue to fly on my own. The forked tail doctor killer thing comes from the fact that many doctors had enough money to skip simpler airplanes and buy right into a fancier one that was higher performance. Add to it that doctors tend to be a bit arrogant, though definitely not all, and they didn't train as much as they should have - it isn't like driving a car or riding a bike. That was the cause for that reputation. The new doctor killers are the high performance singles like the Cirrus SR-22 and the Cessna Corvalis.

DocB is right that you will generally be less competitive than the military guys, but with the impending pilot shortage that won't much of an issue. He is also right that you can pursue the double major and see what happens. Let's face it, if you can't get good grades or get a decent score on the MCAT, the doctor route is off, but no one cares about your traditional classroom scores in aviation. Then again I had a guy come to meas a student last year. He wanted to be a doc or a pilot and decided that he would try pilot first since it was cheaper and easier to get into. He puked for three straight flights and quit.

Overall there is a lot of similarity in that both require physical and mental aptitude and take years of training. Both also are relatively independent forms of work where you make most or all of the decisions, but are responsible for those decisions at all times. You can PM me if you have specific questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I am a former Navy F/A-18 pilot and am now in med school. I am also a CFI and have my ATP. I have plenty of friends who are now airline or cargo (FedEx and UPS) pilots. I will say this about being an airline pilot: it beats a desk job. In fact it isn't a bad job at all. However, it is a pretty crappy career. At the higher end it is all unionized. You don't promote based on skill, you promote based on time and people above you retiring. If you get in with the right company things are okay, but the wrong one and things blow. Even guys in the right company worry because Pan Am was the best ... Until they disappeared. Same for Braniff and United had the best contract in history that was signed in 1998 or 1999. Everyone wanted United and guys who couldn't get in and went to Southwest were laughed at. Guess who's laughing now? Not the United guys.

There is a massive wave of mandatory retirements approaching and it will continue for several years and not nearly enough qualified applicants to fill the void. You will have to work some seriously crappy jobs to build your hours as even regionals require copilots to have an ATP, which itself requires 1500 hours. You also have to go where the job is because there aren't always open jobs where you want to live. Having said all that, it still beats a desk job and is way easier than med school and residency.

Some of my friends are happy with airline life, but the ones who were most like me are not happy with that life. For me, during my first solo multi-leg cross country flight in a Hornet I was bored out of my mind with about 2 hours at 36,000 ft and nothing to do before my next turn or decent. That is airline flying: take off, auto pilot, land. Repeat as necessary. If you are okay with that, you can see some cool places if you are on a good route and schedule. I was not okay with that after the stuff I was used to flying Hornets.

Flying is awesome and I will continue to fly on my own. The forked tail doctor killer thing comes from the fact that many doctors had enough money to skip simpler airplanes and buy right into a fancier one that was higher performance. Add to it that doctors tend to be a bit arrogant, though definitely not all, and they didn't train as much as they should have - it isn't like driving a car or riding a bike. That was the cause for that reputation. The new doctor killers are the high performance singles like the Cirrus SR-22 and the Cessna Corvalis.

DocB is right that you will generally be less competitive than the military guys, but with the impending pilot shortage that won't much of an issue. He is also right that you can pursue the double major and see what happens. Let's face it, if you can't get good grades or get a decent score on the MCAT, the doctor route is off, but no one cares about your traditional classroom scores in aviation. Then again I had a guy come to meas a student last year. He wanted to be a doc or a pilot and decided that he would try pilot first since it was cheaper and easier to get into. He puked for three straight flights and quit.

Overall there is a lot of similarity in that both require physical and mental aptitude and take years of training. Both also are relatively independent forms of work where you make most or all of the decisions, but are responsible for those decisions at all times. You can PM me if you have specific questions.

What? No L39 or alpha jet? :)

Okay, thanks Cooperdog! That was some helpful info. I want info from past students who have majored in something Aeronautical Science and Pre-Med related? Has anyone done that? Is it manageable? Because I ultimately want to go into med school, but I also want something I can do if med school doesn't work out that I love. Flying is my backup plan, is that a good idea? Having piloting as a back up plan?

BUMP
BUMP
BUMP
BUMP

Thank you guys, I need more opinions! please. And just an update, I'm not saying I want to be both a Doctor AND an Airline Pilot, I'm saying would it be a good idea to double major in (Professional Piloting) and Medicinal BIochem and work harder towards med school and if that works out, I will still have the license to fly, but if I cannot get into medschool I will be able to start working if the "guaranteed" interview goes well?

Alright, the problem with doing this is that you are essentially scattering your efforts in every direction. In order to get into med school, you are going to need to focus on doing that, otherwise it will not happen. You really need to think about whether you want to be a doctor OR a pilot rather than postponing the decision. If you decide that you want to be a pilot and that is where your passion lies, then awesome--go for it! However, if you want to be a doc, then focus on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, thanks Cooperdog! That was some helpful info. I want info from past students who have majored in something Aeronautical Science and Pre-Med related? Has anyone done that? Is it manageable? Because I ultimately want to go into med school, but I also want something I can do if med school doesn't work out that I love. Flying is my backup plan, is that a good idea? Having piloting as a back up plan?

BUMP
BUMP
BUMP
BUMP

The chances of someone having done that are incredibly small. The chances of anyone ever seeing this that has done that are probably incomprehensible.

Brutally honest...
It is a horrible plan. Find out which one you actually want to do and pursue that one 100%.

So that basically means its one or the other? I ultimately want to go to med school and I will put in the 110% effort required. But wouldn't it be a good fall back career? And I would still be statisfied if I got into med school and when I am done with all training, I can fly for fun which would practically complete my dreams. I just have a bad feeling that I am going to regret not flying because I used to travel a bunch when I was small and I loved it. I don't want to regret later on in life that I did not fly.

How bout just Majoring in Aeronautical Science but doing a Biochem minor and putting in all the Pre med requirements? Aeronautical Science covers Physics, English and Calc, so I'd only need Chem, ochem and bio. Would that be better? Would majoring in Aeronautical science make me a less competitive applicant to med school?

How bout just Majoring in Aeronautical Science but doing a Biochem minor and putting in all the Pre med requirements? Aeronautical Science covers Physics, English and Calc, so I'd only need Chem, ochem and bio. Would that be better? Would majoring in Aeronautical science make me a less competitive applicant to med school?

I actually think your plan is really good. Don't listen to these naysayers. Major in Aeronautical Science and you don't really even need to minor in anything. Just make sure you get all of the prereqs in. If med school doesn't work out you are already primed for the back up plan. Who knows, you may love flying so much that you don't care about the stuff I mentioned and just blow off med school. Remember, you won't have my experiences to compare it to.

Thank you so much, I realized that you don't have to have a full degree in "Biochem" to apply to med school, it sounds like a good plan to me to just work on Aeronautical Science while getting pre-req's for med school, and if either or doesn't fit my choice, I can always change!

I would love some more opinions! Thanks

Thank you so much, I realized that you don't have to have a full degree in "Biochem" to apply to med school, it sounds like a good plan to me to just work on Aeronautical Science while getting pre-req's for med school, and if either or doesn't fit my choice, I can always change!

I would love some more opinions! Thanks

This is much more sensible than trying to double major.

A double degree is hard enough even with some overlapping classes like bio and chem. Those 2 are completely unrelated and it would be really hard.

There is nothing wrong with majoring in something that isn't a typical premed thing. However I have friends in the aviation programs and it is a completely different beast than a normal major.

Also a reason I am such a 'naysayer' is the op sounds like he is basically planning on not getting into med school so he is going to go to great extents to prepare for a complete polar opposite career...which will distract massively from plan A.

Neither aviation nor medicine require you to have a specific major. The major airlines require a university degree and a certain amount of hours/licences. Similarly, medical schools require a university degree and a certain number of extracurricular activities. In both cases, it doesn't matter what you major in as long as you get a degree. Getting into medical school is tough and requires you to put all of your efforts into it. If I were you (110% set on medicine) I would major in something YOU enjoy, complete the pre-medical requirements and extracurricular activities. You can fly on the side-this can be a hobby of yours that can make you stand out from other applicants.

So majoring in Aeronautical Science and doing a minor in let say Biochemistry should be plentiful to get me into med school knowing I maintain a high GPA and MCAT and ec's.

I am a lurker here because I also couldn't decide if I wanted to be an airline pilot or doctor. I look pretty young and believed that because of my age I would never gain the trust if I were to be a doctor. So I went the pilot route.

I majored in Aeronautics at Embry-Riddle. I have been flying since January 2004. I have been a flight instructor with multi, instrument, and airplane ratings since January 2008. I've been instructing since that time. I am in over $200,000 of debt from student loans. The first year I was a flight instructor, I worked an average of 80 hours a week. I made only $12,000 that year before taxes. The most I have made was about $24,000. I have about 2400 hours in total time and a little more than 200 hours of multi-engine time. There is also the expense of maintaining aircraft, instrument, multi, cfi, and emergency training. I have applied to roughly 50 aircraft operators with no success at employment in the last 2 years. At 28 years old I have no other choice but to remain single and live at home with mom and dad. Does that sound like a good career to you? Life does not get much better after flight instruction in the airlines.

What I would recommend is to stay away from any kind of aviation degree. They are not worth it and nobody cares if you have one- in and out of the aviation industry. A big problem with these degrees is that your classes conflict with your flight training schedule, instructor availability, etc which inevitably delays graduation.

If you are interested in medicine then major in some kind of science degree. You can always get these certificates from a guy like me at a local airport and you can volunteer at a hospital to see how you like health care.

As far as the rumored pilot shortage, I'll believe it when I see it. If you want to ask me anything please feel free to. Also, you might consider posting this same question at the forums on JetCareers.

Might be bumping into a really old "dead" thread of topic here but this debate of "who is better" and "what should I choose" is still a confusion among many young aspirants considering these two career options. I'm no pilot nor am I a doctor but I know of many who are.

You cannot really judge these two professions. They are really professional, prestigious, tough jobs and reward you good amount of money but at the same time requires skill and adds a great responsibility over your shoulders as it deals with life in hands. Firstly, please don't go into medicine or being a pilot for the glamour and money. Its not right.

Guess is that most people from the pilots point of view who have given the answer here on this topic are from the United States. Aviation is - will agree a crappy career path in terms of how you make progression and finally job security being the biggest issue. From a global aspect or point of view, other than the U.S there are places where commercial airline pilots are paid more than doctors, the training is high priced. The best jobs in aviation don't necessarily come from the U.S and on the other hand, the best place to practice and do medicine is the U.S. Please don't give aspiring pilots a bad view/image and ruin hopes of them getting into what they love. Aviation as a hobby and flying as a career are two different things. Students should be able to make choices depending on what they have a passion for, what they can picture themselves doing for a living and how they'd love their job. Peoples opinion vary. Both the professions worldwide have lost the glamour and fame unlike years back how they used to be. About being both a doctor and a commercial pilot is a stupid route to go and if you really want to become a doctor but fly for a hobby you can rent a plane and pick flying lessons later, but prices are to go up and planes will be more expensive in the coming years as airspace's get more congested. Stick to one firmly. Doctor OR Pilot - that depends on what you love more. Don't get misguided by people and over many other forums. Both are amazing professions and take years of experience and skill to reach heights. Doctors are better in a way that they have a fixed and assured job unlike the unbalance in the aviation industry. Responsibility wise, Jetliner pilots have more on their shoulders. Both make the 6 digits. People may compare and call pilots silly bus or cab drivers but you should keep in mind they are in charge of a multi-million dollar airplane and over 300+ lives even if its a short two hour flight. The same thing is seen on the pilot/aviation forums. Those guys talking crap about medicine and again further misleading. I know of pilots who have made a switch to medicine and doctors to aviation. It doesn't happen always and you'll have to work extra triple hard and topping it is luck. Just luck. Stick to one career!

About an aviation degree, it could be worthless is completely wrong. An aviation degree (4 yrs) with Aerospace Engineering or Avionics is holding allot of worth in it. As for aims to become a commercial airline pilot in the U.S talking about F.O could take anywhere between 6-10 years. Most U.S majors look for ex-military and air-force pilots. That's true. Talking about pilot shortage there, no not really.

Finally its all about where your passion lies. Go with your heart. :)

If you have questions please feel free to PM me but do not discourage young applicants or misguide them.