Pitting schools against each other for more scholarship money, good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klinkne5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently applying to podiatry schools and have already been accepted at NYCPM and Temple. I've been offered an $11K for the first year at Temple, and $40K at NYCPM ($10K per year guaranteed if I maintain a 3.2 GPA which hopefully shouldn't be an issue), as well as both schools saying that I have a chance to earn other normal scholarships for students during my second-fourth years. From what I understood during their interview days this might be the maximum amount that the schools offer, but I didn't know if they were just saying that. I would consider myself a good applicant: 31S, 3.85 GPA, biomechanics research on foot/ankle, and lots of direct patient contact clinical experience. I was wondering whether anyone has ever tried to contact the schools and ask whether they would like to try and match or beat the scholarship offer from another school. I don't want to offend the schools, but obviously I would like to try and get the most scholarship money as possible. I figure I'd be polite in asking, and they can obviously always just decline to match if they don't want to. I know the process of "matching" scholarship money happens at some allopathic schools, but I didn't know if this is heard of at podiatry schools. If anyone has a suggestion on whether I should try and go for more, and if so, how I should go about it, I'd love to hear back.

Members don't see this ad.

klinkne5,

I received that same scholarship from Temple, and you pose a very important question. I've also thought about calling, but I do remember Temple explaining why I was able to receive that scholarship--it being that my GPA and MCAT scores were calculated together to equal a scholarship amount (something about a computerized logarithm, I'm not to sure). So that makes it sound less negotiable.

Others can correct me if I am wrong as this has been something I was interested in doing as well. It just seems to me that some schools have more scholarship money than others.