pKa pI values on test day (thread for april, may, june test takers)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCATforsale1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have completed the 2015 MCAT, were you provided pKA and pI values, or did you have to memorize them?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say it's more important to know trends than to memorize exact numbers.

Reactions: 1 user
Would that mean that you weren't provided the numbers in the passages but still asked questions regarding them? I would also mention that this isn't breaking AAMC policies because we're not discussing exam content, just what to study.

It depends on the question. I think probably if you needed an exact number, they would give one. Memorize everything about amino acids, but just know trends for other stuff.

no. you don't need to know specific numbers. just know acidic AAs have lower pI..neutral have around 6..and basic have around 9-10. They wont ask you to explicitly give the pI of an AA...they may ask you to determine the charge on an AA at a certain pH. But you should be able to do that assuming u know the structure..and u know the approx pkas of the side chains..and carboxy/amino terminals. (2 & 9)