Places to Observe/Shadow in Chicago?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aczerniak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any good places they can recommend in the city?

Members don't see this ad.

Any hospital you shadow at will be fine, I did some shadowing at RIC ( i knew someone who knew someone) and at Swedish Covenant hospital on the north side. However what is most important is to do WAAAYYY more than 40 hours and to do it in multiple settings, Outpatient, Acute care, pedis, geriatrics, neuro, psych/ mental health (if you can), ect.

I recently moved to Chicago from the west coast and I am trying to find an OT to observe in a hospital or assisted living facility. It's been very difficult as I am still figuring out my way around the city and I do not have any connections. I already have a ton of hours in peds. I have called a few major hospitals and they have either not gotten back to me or there is a waitlist. I cannot say I am shocked because the hospitals in this city are so awesome. Obviously, I will keep pursing those hospitals but if anyone knows of any smaller clinics or nursing homes open to having people observe, I would really appreciate the insight. Thank you!

I don't live in Chicago, but you can try looking for smaller OT centers, maybe hand therapy and stuff. It's usually less competitive than hospitals anyway