Plan advice and suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkennedy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does this plan sound good?

Starting Chem 1 and bio 1 next week at local cc. I am excited and nervous. It has been over 10 years since I had these classes.

Spring 17 Chem 2 and bio 2 at CC

Remainder of classes at university

Summer 17 physics 1 and 2

Fall 17 Org 1

Spring 18 Org 2 and Biochem

Summer 18 study MCAT

Fall 18 take MCAT

Spring/summer/fall 19 apply and interview

Fall 20 start med school

I know this is if everything goes perfectly and I get in. Does this plan seem reasonable? Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Your plan is pretty similar to how I planned my classes. I found Physics to be difficult so I took Physics 2 in the fall with Orgo 1 to give me a bit more time to learn it.

I took the MCAT at the end of the spring semester I took Orgo 2. I would consider studying for the MCAT to take it in your summer of 18 (only if your practice scores are good). That might allow you to apply a cycle earlier. Of course, taking a year longer to apply is worth it if it means getting As in your prereqs and getting a better MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 user
It's possible... The only potential rub might be CC if you want to go for MD. Some MD schools are anti-CC for any core science requirements, so check with the specific schools you're interested in if you want MD. DO's are good with such, but you do need to do well on the MCAT to show your good grades in CC were earned vs. easy A's.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
It's possible... The only potential rub might be CC if you want to go for MD. Some MD schools are anti-CC for any core science requirements, so check with the specific schools you're interested in if you want MD. DO's are good with such, but you do need to do well on the MCAT to show your good grades in CC were earned vs. easy A's.

Good luck
My state schools accept CC but of course prefer the bulk be completed at a unversity. Technically, I have already completed Chem 1 and 2 and Bio 1 and 2 at a university but that was 13 years ago. Plus my grades were not great. I think if I only take those classes at CC and the rest at a university I should be fine. At least I hope.

My state schools accept CC but of course prefer the bulk be completed at a unversity. Technically, I have already completed Chem 1 and 2 and Bio 1 and 2 at a university but that was 13 years ago. Plus my grades were not great. I think if I only take those classes at CC and the rest at a university I should be fine. At least I hope.

Contact them and ask! A brief email could save you quite a bit of pain and rejection.