Plan B Advice with Intention of Reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsmurray

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

This cycle I was wait-listed at 3 schools and am still waiting to hear back. However, I of course am trying to get a plan B prepared so that I can hopefully apply for a 3rd time and get in. I have been searching for potential jobs where will benefit my application, and will help me become a better health care provider. I have two interview's lined up this week one as a chiropractic assistant and another as a rehab therapist at a chiropractor's office. I am well aware that it is not a PT office, and well I've always been taught that chiro's are the enemy, but would these be better opportunities then to say work at a hospital at a PT Tech. I'd be getting benefit's, 15$ an hour, and get to use E-stim equipment/manual therapy/massage therapy doing either Chiro Job. As a PT tech, I would assist in patient transport and cleaning the patient's area, get benefits, but only get $9 an hour. Any advice would be terrific.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey there,

This cycle I was wait-listed at 3 schools and am still waiting to hear back. However, I of course am trying to get a plan B prepared so that I can hopefully apply for a 3rd time and get in. I have been searching for potential jobs where will benefit my application, and will help me become a better health care provider. I have two interview's lined up this week one as a chiropractic assistant and another as a rehab therapist at a chiropractor's office. I am well aware that it is not a PT office, and well I've always been taught that chiro's are the enemy, but would these be better opportunities then to say work at a hospital at a PT Tech. I'd be getting benefit's, 15$ an hour, and get to use E-stim equipment/manual therapy/massage therapy doing either Chiro Job. As a PT tech, I would assist in patient transport and cleaning the patient's area, get benefits, but only get $9 an hour. Any advice would be terrific.

Thanks.

I would certainly take the $15 job over the $9 one. If your ultimate goal is getting in, maybe you should try to re-take a class or two? If you have been out of school for awhile or something I know this might seem like a tough option, but really, retaking 2 pre-reqs and boosting that GPA up could really help.

What are your stats? I think if we knew your stats we could pretty much point out what you need to do/change to get accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there,

Thanks.

What are your stats? Anything else that you can improve on that will hold more weight on an application than a chiro aide job? The thing with a pt aide job is that you hit two birds with one stone: experience and observation hours. But I can definitely understand the extra money part.

I have already retaken pretty much everything I can afford. I currently have a 3.15-3.2 Pre-req GPA depending on the pre-req's required, and my GRE is a 149 V/154 Q/ 4 Writing. I plan on retaking the GRE and know I can definitely do better on the Verbal. I didn't study at all for the GRE last time, as I was already working full time and going to class full time when I was briefly preparing for it. I already have too many Extracurricular hours so that's not a problem (College Lax Athlete, SGA, REACH Program Mentor, Intramural Sports, the list goes on). I also own my own personal training company (ACSM certified) and am a head basketball coach at a local private school. I just don't know how PT schools rank Chiro office experience, even if it is PT related. Also, I live in Charleston, SC.

Edit: I also have 200 hours shadowed in 4 different settings.

Last edited:
People always talk about retaking classes, but you can also consider just taking more classes to boost your GPA. A lot of schools have recommended class lists that look good, you just have to make sure you will do well in them. I ended up taking a lot pf psych classes because different schools wanted different classes such as abnormal vs developmental. I thought they were the easiest classes to ace and they definitely improved my over GPA

People always talk about retaking classes, but you can also consider just taking more classes to boost your GPA. A lot of schools have recommended class lists that look good, you just have to make sure you will do well in them. I ended up taking a lot pf psych classes because different schools wanted different classes such as abnormal vs developmental. I thought they were the easiest classes to ace and they definitely improved my over GPA

I just don't think it is worth any more debt. I'm already about 25-30k in debt, can only imagine what grad school is gonna be.

I see that you're going to school at CoC. I was accepted there, but opted for USC Columbia because it was cheaper.

I assume you're gonna either be applying to MUSC or going out of state, which are basically your only choices for us SC residents.

MUSC is very expensive, even for in state, at about 80k for all three years. Then you have the cost of living in the Charleston area, which you already know is expensive. You would be about 150k+ by the time you finish PT school, including your current debt.

Believe it or not, not getting in the first time can sometimes be a good thing.

I was actually thinking about it and realized that if I don't get in and have to wait another year, I will have about 75% of my tuition saved up by the time I reapply.

It depends on your age though. If you're young and have all the time in the world, then getting a job and saving more money actually benefits you. If you're 30+, then you probably need to get in and get out as fast as possible to maximize your time.

I just don't think it is worth any more debt. I'm already about 25-30k in debt, can only imagine what grad school is gonna be.
1. Ask the schools that reject you to give you their feedback on your aplication and stats, some schools give it.
2. Consider retaking classes in community colleges!!! They are inexpensive there. When you become a PT, you will be able to pay off that "extra debt" after one month of work.
3. You may want to consider PT schools that have less applicants, therefore, their requirements will be a little bit lower and they will be a little bit less competative. Maybe in a different location?
4. Definitely improve your GRE score if you can. It looks like schools do look at numbers first and only then on the context of your situation. For the same reason, you often hear the advice to retake classes and get as many observation hours as you can.
Finally, if you were waitlisted, it does mean that schools saw potential in you!!! So good luck!

1. Ask the schools that reject you to give you their feedback on your aplication and stats, some schools give it.
2. Consider retaking classes in community colleges!!! They are inexpensive there. When you become a PT, you will be able to pay off that "extra debt" after one month of work.
3. You may want to consider PT schools that have less applicants, therefore, their requirements will be a little bit lower and they will be a little bit less competative. Maybe in a different location?
4. Definitely improve your GRE score if you can. It looks like schools do look at numbers first and only then on the context of your situation. For the same reason, you often hear the advice to retake classes and get as many observation hours as you can.
Finally, if you were waitlisted, it does mean that schools saw potential in you!!! So good luck!

I was really upset to find out that extracurricular activities truly mean nothing. I was so involved at the college, and yes my GPA suffered a bit. Then I see friends apply and get into schools who have a 3.4 or 3.5 who make up/lie about their extracurricular's on their application. I was an incredibly well-rounded student, but it's all about numbers. Anyways, back to my original question about my Plan B, Does it look bad to work at a Chiropractic office as opposed to a PT office? And for others I am only 23, so I suppose I have some time. I'm just tired of my life being in stand still.

I was really upset to find out that extracurricular activities truly mean nothing. I was so involved at the college, and yes my GPA suffered a bit. Then I see friends apply and get into schools who have a 3.4 or 3.5 who make up/lie about their extracurricular's on their application. I was an incredibly well-rounded student, but it's all about numbers. Anyways, back to my original question about my Plan B, Does it look bad to work at a Chiropractic office as opposed to a PT office? And for others I am only 23, so I suppose I have some time. I'm just tired of my life being in stand still.

No, working at a chiro office will not look bad. You're still getting experience working with patients, and that is good. No one is going to be offended or anything because you work at a chiro office. At all. Stop worrying about that.

After looking at your stats, I think you are right on the bubble of getting in. I think if you could raise your pre-req GPA to 3.4 ish, you could get in somewhere. If you have any C's in pre-reqs, retake those classes and get A's. Raising your pre-req GPA will probably mean retaking 2-3 classes. If you want to get in, I really think this is what you need to do.

Your GRE is decent, definitely not bad. I think you could retake it and do better, but I think raising your pre-req GPA is what you need to do.

just my 2 cents

I would request similar advice. I applied to 9 schools and have been rejected from 7. Still waiting on the last two. So, I need to rethink my approach if I ulitimately have to reapply next year. I started all the pre-reqs from scratch over the past two years at a combo of community college and 4 year college.

I am an older student (40s), so I feel while I really have enjoyed my observation time, and the people, my time to apply is limited.

University: Bentley University
Major: B.S. Marketing
Overall GPA: 3.22 (PTCAS calculation)
Science GPA: 3.79 (PTCAS calculation)
Pre Req GPA: 3.74 self reported - still working on two.
GRE: 1st time: V: 157, Q:145 A: 4.0. 2nd time: V: 158, Q: 143 A: 4.0

Observation: 22 hours Outpatient, 38 Inpatient acute rehab

I was working full time, while taking my pre-reqs and doing observation time when I could. However, I was recently laid off and need to find a new job. I read on another thread that getting a job as a PT aide may not be necessary. What about trying to get work as an office assistant at a PT office or admin assistant in some sort of medical setting. Would that look favorable or should it really be in PT?

I am sure I may want to add onto my observation time. I have something set up at the end of the month that will also give me some time in pediatrics (schools) and have been trying to get into an SNF, but with little luck.

Should I work on improving my GRE score? Timed math tests are my enemy, but I would be willing to try again, if it seemed like it might improve my chances.

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Well, you can't count chiro hours as PT observation hours on your PTCAS. I worked at a chiro office that also had a PT work part time, so I was able to gain PT observation hours while making more $ than a PT aide job ($17.50/hr vs $12-13/hr). I'm assuming the chiro job you're interested in doesn't have a PT work there, since you haven't mentioned it. You might want to think about what your school schedule will be like if you are going to retake pre-reqs. I liked working at the chiro office because it was very flexible w/my school schedule. I was able to take time off from 12pm-3:30pm twice a week for A&P, and I know most PT clinics wouldn't allow that. The chiro clinic had a lunch break from 1-3pm everyday, so I was fortunate to find that job.

If you took the chiro job, would you still have time to do PT observation hours and possibly retake courses or study for the GRE if you need to?

Also, another advantage to working a chiro job is that you'll have more to write about for your PTCAS essay. If the prompt will be the same next cycle (describe your decision making process in choosing PT over other health care careers, or something along those lines), then you can describe in the essay & in interviews how chiro made you realize PT was for you. That's what I did in my essay & interview and all my interviewers were interested to listen to me when I told them I worked at a chiro/PT/MD office. You can describe the pros/cons of each and I always said that I learned that each has their place in the health care field and the job definitely made me consider other professions too.

You just have to think about how much the chiro job will benefit you & your future schedule.

So my first venture into healthcare was working at a chiro office as an assistant. I worked there for a year before moving onto another healthcare office. I thought it was really good experience and working in integrative settings is something I'm looking forward to as a future healthcare professional. I feel like working in a chiro office really helped me understand that profession and how they interact with PT. Unfortunatly in the past there has been a bit of a butting of heads between the two professions so I felt it was good to know the other side. However I will be honest about this: two years before I even applied to PT school I went on a random open house to gain info. about a program in my city and had an opportunity to sit down with the PT program director. I brought up this chiro job I was currently working, all excited, and she told me "I wouldn't bring attention to it on your resume." Now this is a pretty snooty school in my opinion....but I wouldn't let that deter you at all. I think having healthcare exposure in general looks good and in my case it led me to my next job which helped me get into PT school... the important thing is that you'll learn how to work in a healthcare setting, interact with patients, and get to know the logistical/beaurocratic side of healthcare. All of these will help you in your future career. I'd say go for the chiro job.

I think having healthcare exposure in general looks good and in my case it led me to my next job which helped me get into PT school... the important thing is that you'll learn how to work in a healthcare setting, interact with patients, and get to know the logistical/beaurocratic side of healthcare. All of these will help you in your future career. I'd say go for the chiro job.

I'd be remiss if I didn't chime in and remind the OP that chiropractic does not equal physical therapy. I'm not necessarily interested in chiro-bashing, but you need to stop and think about the differences between our profession, which stems from allopathic medicine, and an alternative medicine. Sure, you'll get to hook up some patients to IFC and stick some ice on them. Sure, you'll maybe get to run a patient through a scapular exercise progression. But you certainly won't be learning about evidence-based clinical decision-making from a physical therapist. It's like saying, "oh, I wanna beef up my resume to get into PT school, I'll work at a massage parlor." Yeah, you'll learn some general stuff about muscles and patient handling, but what are you really learning? I gotta say that I know that most of the folks in our department's admissions group wouldn't consider being a "chiro tech" a positive.

I was aware and that is why I questioned on here how schools an admissions group would perceive it. However, financially speaking, this seems like the more feasible route to take. I'm doing it first and foremost as a job because I have to pay bills. I was more concerned with the idea that if I put it on my resume would it hurt me or help me.

I have two interview's lined up this week one as a chiropractic assistant and another as a rehab therapist at a chiropractor's office. I am well aware that it is not a PT office, and well I've always been taught that chiro's are the enemy, but would these be better opportunities then to say work at a hospital at a PT Tech. I'd be getting benefit's, 15$ an hour, and get to use E-stim equipment/manual therapy/massage therapy doing either Chiro Job. As a PT tech, I would assist in patient transport and cleaning the patient's area, get benefits, but only get $9 an hour. Any advice would be terrific.

Do you have a massage therapy license? If not, then it's illegal to say that you are doing massage therapy at the chiro office, so make sure not to claim that on your PT applications. PTs are sensitive to this issue, because chiros sometimes claim to do "physical therapy", which is also illegal without a PT license (in most states anyway).

I have a massage license and worked at a chiro office for a few years. I put this on my PT application and wrote about the various things I learned from this clinical experience (patient interactions, dealing with insurance, etc). It came up at my interview in a very positive way, and I got into all the programs I applied to. I didn't get into the politics of the professions at all, and instead simply focused on how the experience enriched me and gave me skills that would help me as a PT student and future health professional. If you want to take the chiro job, I don't think it will look bad on your application as long as you are professional about the way you present it in your application.

I was aware and that is why I questioned on here how schools an admissions group would perceive it. However, financially speaking, this seems like the more feasible route to take. I'm doing it first and foremost as a job because I have to pay bills. I was more concerned with the idea that if I put it on my resume would it hurt me or help me.

As with all admissions questions: approach individual programs. This forum is nice because, oftentimes, the application process can be a lonely process and it's nice to see others reaching for the same goal. But it is populated by pre-PTs who haven't yet had the opportunity to talk informally with professors about admissions, so it's a lot of conjecture. Get a firm and legitimate answer straight from the horse's mouth. Good luck.

I think that your work in a chiro clinic will be considered by PT schools only as "your job" and will not add any significant value to your PT application, because PT and chiro are 2 completely different careers:(.