Plan B?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTW

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been rejected or waitlisted by all schools at this point and am beginning to wonder what I should do with my year before re-applying. I have talked to clinics and hospitals in my town and all want more than that year from an aide. Is anyone else in this position? What are your plans if you don't get in anywhere?

Members don't see this ad.

"There is no reason to have a plan B because it distracts from plan A" – Will Smith

Maybe not the best answer, but I know if I wasn't accepted to any of the 8 schools I applied, you better beleive it that I would improve myself and reapply. We're all going to get knocked down from time to time; it's a test of your character. I promise you, no one on this site is better than you.

Perhaps my favorite video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLN2k0b3g70&feature=player_embedded#

I have been rejected or waitlisted by all schools at this point and am beginning to wonder what I should do with my year before re-applying. I have talked to clinics and hospitals in my town and all want more than that year from an aide. Is anyone else in this position? What are your plans if you don't get in anywhere?
yeah, try to figure out what it is that prevented you from being accepted and try to fix that problem. take a GRE course, retake classes you didnt do well in, get more experience, etc. as far as working goes...im sure you can find a job as an aide somewhere, although you may have to look harder

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a lot of PT observation/aide experience (like if you have 200 hours in a variety of settings, etc.), I wouldn't necessarily only look for aide positions, because they generally don't pay well.

If I didn't get into school this time around, I would be looking for the highest paying jobs I could find to start saving for grad school. That said, if you don't have a lot of observation experience, then getting an aide job would definitely be beneficial.

But like others said, look at your stats, and the schools you applied to, and see what needs work. If you need to take the GRE again to get a better score, then spend time prepping for that. If you didn't do too well in a course, try retaking it a community college. I don't know where you applied, but maybe you only applied to really competitive schools, so maybe apply to some other lower-ranked/less competitive schools next year in addition to your dream schools (where you go to school doesn't make a whole lot of difference in your starting salary anyway).

Personally, if I hadn't been accepted this year I was going to go do a one year master's program in biology education, so I would be able to get a job as a high school bio teacher if I wasn't accepted the next time around. My biggest fear was spending two years applying to school, working a minimum wage job and not getting into grad school, and then not knowing what to do, so I was going to cover my basis by getting a teaching certificate (which I'd enjoy doing. I work at a high school now as a TA and I enjoy it, and I do want to teach someday down the road after I retire from PT). But that's just me.

You could also look into getting your personal training certification - a nice way to make extra money, something still related to the PT world, and something to add to your application.

If you keep at it, I'm sure you'll make it work :) (To quote Tim Gunn).

"There is no reason to have a plan B because it distracts from plan A" – Will Smith

Maybe not the best answer, but I know if I wasn't accepted to any of the 8 schools I applied, you better beleive it that I would improve myself and reapply. We're all going to get knocked down from time to time; it's a test of your character. I promise you, no one on this site is better than you.

Perhaps my favorite video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLN2k0b3g70&feature=player_embedded#

Thanks for such a great link. Smith is one of my favorite actors.

If I didn't get in to the two schools I plan on applying to, I would probably just continue on and eithe become a high school biology teacher, or pursue a masters/PhD to become a professor.

Either that or I wll go sell lawnmowers at Lowe's vroom vroom :D

Don't give up on this year yet. I was admitted off a waitlist at #15 for a class of 28. Wait a few months more before making any final decisions about the next year.

Thanks for the replies....I am planning on re-applying if I don't get in and yes that is an IF. I do want to do PT and nothing else. I just need to do something this year and working in a clinic seems to be not going to be happening, but I am looking.