plan fluor vs plan apochromat objectives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

footbasket

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For people who have used both, can you tell a marked difference between plan fluor and plan apochromat objectives?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you are taking high resolution, multi-color digital images, you can probably see a difference, as the color corrections for chromatic aberration might not quite be the same. When doing three color fluorescent imaging, and combining three monochrome pics into a false color single image (for research purposes), I could see minor differences based on the objective. Using your eyes under usual light microscopy conditions (H & E, or immunostaining), it would be challenging to distinguish between the two, IMO.

For people who have used both, can you tell a marked difference between plan fluor and plan apochromat objectives?

Thanks
I have plan apo lenses with my scope. They are awesome. Way better than what I had in residency. Optics are great.

I use fluorites on my scope including the dry 60x with correction ring. They're clearly an upgrade from achromat objectives. One of my senior partners got apochromat lenses for his scope and he loves them. Interesting fact though for whoever has the dough to spend: apparently Olympus no longer manufactures dry 60x apochromat objectives. Nikon, maybe Zeiss and Leica...don't know, are the only one(s) who still do.