Planning to withdrawal from school: What options would I have left?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

full

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

So I absolutely hate my school. Just started 2nd year yesterday. I'm sick to my stomach every day here. I have poor grades (academic probation).

I want to withdrawal but before doing so I wanna double check the ramifications and future consequences of it with you guys.

(You could check my stats on my predents link in my profile.)

Would I realistically be able to re-apply to other schools down the road (2-3 years)? Like even if I re-took the DAT and got 25s or something like that?

Would I be able to at least attempt to transfer (I know it's laughable given that I'm on academic probation) but I'm curious still what you have to say about this?

(like will withdrawal status void my ability to transfer since I would no longer be affiliated with a school?)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

So I absolutely hate my school. Just started 2nd year yesterday. I'm sick to my stomach every day here. I have poor grades (academic probation).

I want to withdrawal but before doing so I wanna double check the ramifications and future consequences of it with you guys.

Would I realistically be able to re-apply to other schools down the road (2-3 years)? Like even if I re-took the DAT and got 25s or something like that?

Would I be able to at least attempt to transfer (I know it's laughable given that I'm on academic probation) but I'm curious still what you have to say about this?

(like will withdrawal status void my ability to transfer since I would no longer be affiliated with a school?)

Thanks

Why do you hate it so much? Would it really be better at any other dental school? You're already half way through the didactics...

I think if you withdrew, no other dental school would take you. Assuming you took loans for your first year, that's a lot of money that was wasted.

Why do you hate it so much? .

miserable, stomach hurts everyday, faculty treats us like we're 2 yrs. old constantly, everything is confusing, hate every minute of being here, "harder/confusing is better for you" mindset, quanitity over quality mindset, domineering/dictator/ultra authoritative faculty, aim of faculty appears more to be that of asserting their dominence and control rather than getting knowledge across, more rote memorization than your failing inner city public school, in fact feels like how failing inner city public schools are portrayed, lectures confusing, pride taken in lectures being confusing because it'll "make us think," fear of asking questions to faculty, tooled if ask faculty questions (i.e "I want over this in lecture all ready" whether or not they actually did), if you ask a question you're scolded and told "look it up" or "it's the student's responsbility...," never really knows what's gonna be on the test, you can easily study for the most of everyone and do the worst because you don't know what the hell is gonna be on the test, too much material being distribted "underground" between that I never get, actual instruction is virtually non-existence what's more common is just telling us to practice and look at the notes, feels like we're paying to self-study, self study isn't so bad if you actually knew what you were studying would be on the test--you don't, massive unorganization--most unorganized instiution I've ever been a part of--at least it feels that way, things go wrong all the time, just to name a few.... if I wrote a diary everyday I'd have a 50-page book of things issues that I have with the school

Would it really be better at any other dental school? You're already half way through the didactics...

I don't know. I'm curious. But I'd at least like to keep that option open. But if not "it's all good."

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

Thanks

Sounds like the school is not the issue. are you attributing your academic status to your distaste for your school?

everyone hates their dental school at one point. there is bull**** we all have to deal with, whether it be academic, administrative, social, etc. sometimes you wonder how certain faculty tie their shoes in the morning. look at this as an opportunity for personal growth.

you likely took out a ****load of student loans too. you're too far to quit at this point in my opinion. suck it up and stick it out.

Let me guess USC or Detroit?

Just get through it man. Like was said before everyone hates school at some point. If you drop out now there isn't much choice to go back. It would be better to hate 3 more years of life and love it after than drop out now and hate the rest of life for not sticking to your goals and wishing you had.

Pick it up and get through it.

Hey,

Thanks

miserable, stomach hurts everyday, faculty treats us like we're 2 yrs. old constantly, everything is confusing, hate every minute of being here, "harder/confusing is better for you" mindset, quanitity over quality mindset, domineering/dictator/ultra authoritative faculty, aim of faculty appears more to be that of asserting their dominence and control rather than getting knowledge across, more rote memorization than your failing inner city public school, in fact feels like how failing inner city public schools are portrayed, lectures confusing, pride taken in lectures being confusing because it'll "make us think," fear of asking questions to faculty, tooled if ask faculty questions (i.e "I want over this in lecture all ready" whether or not they actually did), if you ask a question you're scolded and told "look it up" or "it's the student's responsbility...," never really knows what's gonna be on the test, you can easily study for the most of everyone and do the worst because you don't know what the hell is gonna be on the test, too much material being distribted "underground" between that I never get, actual instruction is virtually non-existence what's more common is just telling us to practice and look at the notes, feels like we're paying to self-study, self study isn't so bad if you actually knew what you were studying would be on the test--you don't, massive unorganization--most unorganized instiution I've ever been a part of--at least it feels that way, things go wrong all the time, just to name a few.... if I wrote a diary everyday I'd have a 50-page book of things issues that I have with the school

I don't know. I'm curious. But I'd at least like to keep that option open. But if not "it's all good."

sounds like USC to me. Tough it out bro! just graduate! whether you graduate last or graduate 1st you are a doctor! Dental school is a crazy ride, all schools are disorganized, some more than others. But in the end, we all are doctors.
Hang in there

I'm pretty sure most dental school faculty out there look at dental students as being "2 year olds" as you put it until the last few months of 4th year haha.

Hang in there... it gets better. Eventually. A few months before graduation.

Today: " I want you guys to remember where you are sitting today (big lecture hall) because these are gonna be your permanent seats for this trimester. We're gonna pass around an attendance sheet with the seat number and if you are not in it, you will not get credit for that day."

I'm pretty sure most dental school faculty out there look at dental students as being "2 year olds" as you put it until the last few months of 4th year haha.

This is true. And then when they hood you at graduation, they finally treat you like colleagues.

Today: " I want you guys to remember where you are sitting today (big lecture hall) because these are gonna be your permanent seats for this trimester. We're gonna pass around an attendance sheet with the seat number and if you are not in it, you will not get credit for that day."

if you accept federal loans, you are technically obligated to attend all of your lectures anyway. and with the hefty price tag at USC, i'm sure that's nearly all of you. so no biggie :cool:

I agree. Don't quit. Tough it out and start paying off your loans sooner rather than later.

Sounds like a personal problem rather than a problem with the school. If there are people in your class that are still doing well despite everything you mentioned then the school must not be the issue. Im sure alot of us hate the school we go to. Every school has problems and some of us have it worse than what you are describing, trust me.
Figure out whatever "underground" information you missing out on and study harder. Thats your only option you are in too much debt already.

School sucks. Dentistry doesnt. Study harder, get out on time, pay off loans. It is only 48 months of your life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

Thanks

Greetings,

Let me ask you this. Do you want, I mean truly want to become a dentist? If you do, talk with your academic advisor about your feelings. DS don't dismiss student(s) unless all hope is lost. If you don't like dentistry, then turn in your withdrawal letter TODAY! This needs to be taken in all seriousness. Once you leave the DS, your chances of becoming a dentist is pretty much nil. If you think of withdrawal to "take some time off " then study hard to get good GPA and "rock the DAT" to get back to DS, I can tell you it is a wishful thinking because once you leave it, it will be over. Think about it and let me know through PM should you need to. DP

I think if you withdraw you can kiss your chances of every getting a DDS from another school good bye. If you hate dentistry then quit. If you are getting hassled by a few teachers then suck it up and move forward.

I think if you withdraw you can kiss your chances of every getting a DDS from another school good bye. If you hate dentistry then quit. If you are getting hassled by a few teachers then suck it up and move forward.

They never said dental school was going to be easy. OP, you're going through exactly what every one of us is going through or have been through. It's nothing special with your circumstance.

I sould never recommend withdrawl unless you hate dentistry. School is hard if you are at USC I know your pain but it is not that bad just suck i up for another year ans things get better once you are in clinic. Well you will have different stresses then anyway.

Hang in there and do your best. I would do anything to switch places with you and be IN dental school already. They can include daily floggings for bad margins and poor anesthesia and I would stay because in the end I get to be a dentist.
You worked very hard to get accepted and chose that school, don't shoot yourself in the foot! Just know that they are just testing you and maybe throwing their weight around or on a power trip. It's all part of the program and the boot camp that is dental school.

Let me be more specific...they treat us like delinquents. And if you have bad hand skills like me you are stepped on and picked on EVERY DAY EVERY HOUR. And if you stand up for yourself you are sent to the ethics committee.

There's a thread titled "don't go to USC." I should have taken the info. in it more seriously when choosing schools.

Everything that guy says is SPOT ON. In fact it's being too NICE to USC.

Last edited:
Hey,

This is a really big decision you are about to make, do not make it alone. Here are some suggestions of people you should talk with.

1. Dead of academics
2. School Counselor
3. Peer or Faculty advisers
4. Family and friends

It could just be that you are passing through a rough moment in life. I know someone that struggled with depression in dental school. The deans let him take a year off, recover, and then continue with the next class.

Maybe there is a drug that could help your performance and improve your grades.

What ever you do, don't make this decision alone, talk it out. Let everyone know what is going on in your life.

Let me be more specific...they treat us like delinquents. And if you have bad hand skills like me you are stepped on and picked on EVERY DAY EVERY HOUR. And if you stand up for yourself you are sent to the ethics committee.

There's a thread titled "don't go to USC." I should have taken the info. in it more seriously when choosing schools.

Everything that guy says is SPOT ON. In fact it's being too NICE to USC.

students have done it before you, and will do it after you. mind over matter, let them yell all they want. make sure you have a big smile on your face when they hand you the diploma YOU earned.

if you have bad hand skills like me you are stepped on and picked on EVERY DAY EVERY HOUR

Did you ever think that the reason they are picking on you is because they care and they want you to succeed? Think about it. If they stop picking on you, they have given up on you and are letting you twist in the wind.

I would never drop out of dental school (PERIOD). I don't care if I get treated like ****, called a ***** infront of the whole student body, or if they make me do presentations while wearing nothing but diapers. I am paying about $70,000 per year to earn my degree, do you actually think I would let them get my money and not receive my degree? sighhhhhhh

Do you have any idea how much we (ex-predents) suffer to get in? (financially, physically, and emotionally taxing process). the only way I would EVER leave a dental school is if
a) they drag my ass out and throw me to the curb (but they better lock the doors)
b) I graduate

You got 3 years left, suffer, endure, and pass as much as you can and move on with your life. 3 years from today, chances are, you will never see those faculty members ever again.

and IMO, dropping out of dental school will shut the future doors into any other dental school..... they'll ALWAYS wonder how committed you are to this path considering you dropped a seat AFTER matriculation without a strong reason (sickness, family trouble, accident etc)

life is tough. you have to go through hell someway or somehow in life to get to where you want to get. trust me, there have been times in my first year where I was like Im so stupid and I suck with my hands when I see others breezing through or when a professor treats me like crap. But everything happens for a reason. This could be a gift where you are put through so much that when you get out you'll be a better/stronger person and an amazing dentist. d school makes every student sick to their stomach, just dont give up cause there are people in the world that go through so much adversity to just get water and food on their tables

Hey,

Thanks

This sounds like USC all over. i hated USC; I even have nightmares when I was a student there. i remember Dr. Vo from fixed prost seemed that had a personal vendetta against me. I hated and despised the man; I still do! Most of the memories I have of USC are horrible. However, as bad as it was, I simply took care of business. Just finish and leave; it will be worth it at the end. I never went back to SC after graduation, just driving around Jefferson Ave gave me the creeps. Needless to say they will never get a penny from me; that's going to my state school.

Hey,

Thanks

I can comment on this in a manner that no one else on this site can. I was in your shoes 14 years ago with the exception of being on academic probation. I was in my 2nd year of dental school. My heart was not in d-school at all. I was wanting to be out playing rather than sitting through lectures. I was passing my classes, but as long as I was passing I didn't care how I did. I partied at night and slept through lectures during the day. Luckily, we had all the lecture materials given to us at the beginnning of the semester, so I could cram for the exams and learn enough to get by the night before an exam. I was placing myself in a very bad place where if I had stayed in school, I really don't think I would have passed my boards part 1. Later in the fall of my 2nd yr, I ended up withrawing from d-school. For ME, it really was the best decision of my life. I would not have done my patients any good had I stayed in school the first time. My heart wasn't there. Being a dentist at that point in my life wasn't important to me. It was a very hard decision to make especially knowing I had a huge amount of student loans to pay back without a job to pay it back with. I ended up having to live off my credit card for quite some time and racked up a lot of debt until I moved back in with my parents. I found two full time jobs at $8/hr to pay back my loans and credit card bill. I did this for a year until I joined the Navy.

If I had not withdrawn when I did, I really don't know where my life would be right now. But, I am sure I would not be as happy with my life and my career as I am now. I matured a lot. With the coaxing of some friends who were dentists, I decided to give dentistry a shot again. I volunteered for a year and developed a love for it. I re-applied to d-school and was accepted to every school I applied to. Not one school I applied to held my decision to withdraw from school the first time against me. This time in d-school has been a long journey. There have been many reasons for me where I could have given up. This time in d-school, I have dealt with the murder of my classmate and good friend who I sat with in class every day. I've dealt with my own medical issues where it looked like I had a severe case of Parkinson's disease (and still have to deal with it on occassions). I've dealt with my having mother-in-law pass away in her house and wasn't found for 15 days - so I had to deal with the cleanup and everything with her house. I have had to deal with my house receiveing around $85,000 in damage due to hurricane Ike and not being able to live in it for 14 months. I have had to deal with the birth of my twins where one of the babies had a severe cardiac arrythmia which led to having to take her to the ER at 1 1/2 weeks of age while administering rescue breaths at 2 in the morning because she was in agonal respirations. Three weeks after their birth, my wife developed a cardiac condition. Then I had to basically suck it up and bite the bullet raising my children while my wife worked and went to school full time as well. Then I had to deal with finding out my grandfather had terminal cancer and was sent home one day saying they cannot do anything more for him and that he enjoy the rest of his time with his family (still ongoing). Then, the first day of school this year, my wife has a miscarriage. And, to top things off, my wife has an appointment with an oncologist this coming Wed because of lesion that was found on an MRI that was taken because she was having severe knee pain. My point to all this is that this time in d-school, I have dealt with a lot of crap. But, because I have been in the right mindset and really want d-school this time, nothing is keeping me away even though it will have taken me 6 years to finish d-school this time. Had I gone through these things the first time in d-school, I would have laughed and just said "eff you school, I am out of here."

For the OP, I know this is a very hard decision for you. Been there. Really look things over before you withdraw from school. Talk to a counselor. Talk to a few professors you trust. Do not take this decision lightly. Do I think your chances of getting into d-school will be over if you quit d-school? Not necessarily, but then again you are on probation right now. If you really want to be a dentist right now, then tough it out. Life sucks at times. School stinks at times. Believe me, there is an end to this all. If you love dentistry, sticking with it will be worth it in the end. But, if you really don't care for dentistry, then maybe dentistry is not for you at this stage in your life. If this is the case, do some serious soul searching before you withdraw. Talk to the admin at the school. Find out what your options are. NO ONE here on SDN can tell you what your options are. If you do withdraw, you will need to make sure you can sell yourself if you re-apply to d-school or any other professional school. They will want evidence you are ready for the committment it will take to make it through their program.

No matter what you choose, I don't envy you right now. I know this is a very hard decision for you. Think it through hard because you want to make sure you do not regret your decision in the end. I thought my decision through fo months before I made my decision. Fortuneately, for me, I know I made the right decision. I hope, in the end, you do too. Good luck. If you want to run things past me, feel free to PM me!

Reactions: 1 user
I can comment on this in a manner that no one else on this site can. I was in your shoes 14 years ago with the exception of being on academic probation. I was in my 2nd year of dental school. My heart was not in d-school at all. I was wanting to be out playing rather than sitting through lectures. I was passing my classes, but as long as I was passing I didn't care how I did. I partied at night and slept through lectures during the day. Luckily, we had all the lecture materials given to us at the beginnning of the semester, so I could cram for the exams and learn enough to get by the night before an exam. I was placing myself in a very bad place where if I had stayed in school, I really don't think I would have passed my boards part 1. Later in the fall of my 2nd yr, I ended up withrawing from d-school. For ME, it really was the best decision of my life. I would not have done my patients any good had I stayed in school the first time. My heart wasn't there. Being a dentist at that point in my life wasn't important to me. It was a very hard decision to make especially knowing I had a huge amount of student loans to pay back without a job to pay it back with. I ended up having to live off my credit card for quite some time and racked up a lot of debt until I moved back in with my parents. I found two full time jobs at $8/hr to pay back my loans and credit card bill. I did this for a year until I joined the Navy.

If I had not withdrawn when I did, I really don't know where my life would be right now. But, I am sure I would not be as happy with my life and my career as I am now. I matured a lot. With the coaxing of some friends who were dentists, I decided to give dentistry a shot again. I volunteered for a year and developed a love for it. I re-applied to d-school and was accepted to every school I applied to. Not one school I applied to held my decision to withdraw from school the first time against me. This time in d-school has been a long journey. There have been many reasons for me where I could have given up. This time in d-school, I have dealt with the murder of my classmate and good friend who I sat with in class every day. I've dealt with my own medical issues where it looked like I had a severe case of Parkinson's disease (and still have to deal with it on occassions). I've dealt with my having mother-in-law pass away in her house and wasn't found for 15 days - so I had to deal with the cleanup and everything with her house. I have had to deal with my house receiveing around $85,000 in damage due to hurricane Ike and not being able to live in it for 14 months. I have had to deal with the birth of my twins where one of the babies had a severe cardiac arrythmia which led to having to take her to the ER at 1 1/2 weeks of age while administering rescue breaths at 2 in the morning because she was in agonal respirations. Three weeks after their birth, my wife developed a cardiac condition. Then I had to basically suck it up and bite the bullet raising my children while my wife worked and went to school full time as well. Then I had to deal with finding out my grandfather had terminal cancer and was sent home one day saying they cannot do anything more for him and that he enjoy the rest of his time with his family (still ongoing). Then, the first day of school this year, my wife has a miscarriage. And, to top things off, my wife has an appointment with an oncologist this coming Wed because of lesion that was found on an MRI that was taken because she was having severe knee pain. My point to all this is that this time in d-school, I have dealt with a lot of crap. But, because I have been in the right mindset and really want d-school this time, nothing is keeping me away even though it will have taken me 6 years to finish d-school this time. Had I gone through these things the first time in d-school, I would have laughed and just said "eff you school, I am out of here."

For the OP, I know this is a very hard decision for you. Been there. Really look things over before you withdraw from school. Talk to a counselor. Talk to a few professors you trust. Do not take this decision lightly. Do I think your chances of getting into d-school will be over if you quit d-school? Not necessarily, but then again you are on probation right now. If you really want to be a dentist right now, then tough it out. Life sucks at times. School stinks at times. Believe me, there is an end to this all. If you love dentistry, sticking with it will be worth it in the end. But, if you really don't care for dentistry, then maybe dentistry is not for you at this stage in your life. If this is the case, do some serious soul searching before you withdraw. Talk to the admin at the school. Find out what your options are. NO ONE here on SDN can tell you what your options are. If you do withdraw, you will need to make sure you can sell yourself if you re-apply to d-school or any other professional school. They will want evidence you are ready for the committment it will take to make it through their program.

No matter what you choose, I don't envy you right now. I know this is a very hard decision for you. Think it through hard because you want to make sure you do not regret your decision in the end. I thought my decision through fo months before I made my decision. Fortuneately, for me, I know I made the right decision. I hope, in the end, you do too. Good luck. If you want to run things past me, feel free to PM me!

WOW. I am a podiatry student who somehow stumbled upon this thread. Your story is incredibly inspiring my friend.... If I ever met you I would buy you a beer in a second.

This doesn't sound out of line for dental school. Neither does every thing else you wrote. As awful as you may think your dental school is, you get the benefit of nice weather when you leave at the end of the day. Some of us put up with the crap from dental school and crappy weather on top of that. No one is going to hold your hand in dental school and it's not going to be any better if you start over somewhere else. Stop getting so offended by the BS you have to put up with and start thinking that there are only 36 months left.

I agree, I'm not a dental student either but thank you Navy DDS for sharing your story with us, that was extremely inspiring!

Full, as others have said, it's 3 more years to have 25+ more years of a good job, a stable life, luxurious things...trust me, many others in other parts of the world would be soooooooo grateful to have to deal with even 2x or 3x what you're going through in order to have a well paying job and a stable life where they are not ravaged by violence and poverty everyday of their lives.

As others have mentioned, no one likes school, whether it's medical, dental, or pharmacy, and people get downright suicidal during it, but it's a necessary evil we all have to go through to get to the better parts of life.

You can do it buddy, I know you can. Please stay in dental school
for me, even if not for yourself, you will thank yourself a million times later. Don't leave, just don't do it, don't even think about it....go to a club, go get drunk, go to a church/mosque/synagogue, do whatever it takes to surround yourself with positive people to get through this crappy but TEMPORARY part of your life.

You can do WHATEVER you want after you're done and I promise no one will treat like you a 2 year old, just you have to finish school.

Inspiring story indeed....
Unfortunately, the OP is different. He wants to drop out today and apply again in 2-3 years. Basically, he wants dentistry, just not current school.

Hey OP,
I am a classmate of yours and it wasn't too hard to figure out who you are from the information provided. The truth is that I feel like you would have a very hard time getting into any dental school ever again. You have burned so many bridges with the faculty that it's mind boggling and the academic dental community is very small.

I personally have seen you explode on several faculty members in public in a way that no other student even approaches, some of the most fair and kindest members too.

You are a very smart academic student, but your social skills need major improvement, and your lack of understanding of how important hand skills are as characterized by your earlier post is flat out frightening. You are dealing with people's heath. When we have to work on each other in classes such as perio and anesthesia your own classmates are flat out terrified that they may get the unlucky card to be your partner. I cannot say this about anyone else in the class.

I am not saying any of this to make fun of you but to give you a chance to see if you can turn yourself around. To do so, you'd have to change your whole attitude. The way you have been approaching your time here makes you a danger to any patient you will ever work on, and an unfit person to represent our profession. Dentistry is not a joke, you can seriously screw somebody up. You have been given several chances to remediate courses and improve yourself but yet you are not coming close to making that mark.

You really have to turn the mirror on yourself and examine the way you conduct yourself. At this point I think a research, academic role is much more suited toward your temperament. Do you really think you'll be able to deal with patients every day questioning you at every turn? Or will you blow up on them too? That my friend is the recipe for a failed dentist. If you don't change your ways you will never be a dentist. Not at USC, not anywhere because it would be unethical to allow you into the practice of dentistry. The most important thing in dentistry is the patient, and right now you're on the course to be the worst thing for them.

Realize your responsibilities and hopefully figure out some ways to turn your social conduct around, most likely with the assistance of specialists and you'll be doing yourself a huge favor.

Pretty sure that everyone would agree in this case, that it will be extremely difficult for you to ever get accepted again to another program. Good strong applicants take some times 2-3 times applying today due to the large number of applicants. Further it is never greener on the other side. Every school has its problems and frustrations. If you are this unhappy at this school, you will be no happier at another school. It is an attitude problem. I am sure most everyone in your class is just fine and dealing.

Lastly, I guess you don't remember there are two questions that almost every school asks when you apply: Have you ever been on academic probation? Have you ever attended another dental program? Quitting is a huge black mark on your academic record and you will never get in again. If it were health reasons or something beyond your control that is a different story. If it is simply distain, dislike, or attitude, you best choose a different professional course.

Something a friend mentioned to me a few years ago is that pride will only hurt you. Dental school is terrible (I'm also a D2 and I hear it's going to be hell) but like everyone said, just try and suck it up and try and focus on just getting through each day and keeping your cool. It sounds like you want to be a dentist but hate having them dangle that carrot in front of you... I feel the same way. Think in this perspective, you're 25% done and it's starting to get more relevant to patient care. You're over 50% done with didactics and even the didactics are becoming more pertinent (pathology, oral disease, pharm) and less intense :):shudder:: biochem). I'd try and focus on what you do like instead of what you don't because it's easy to let yourself get mired in negative feelings. I just got out of a recent slump myself and realize it wanes just like the rest of the roller coaster ride from hell that DS can be.

Hey OP,
I am a classmate of yours and it wasn't too hard to figure out who you are from the information provided. The truth is that I feel like you would have a very hard time getting into any dental school ever again. You have burned so many bridges with the faculty that it's mind boggling and the academic dental community is very small.

I personally have seen you explode on several faculty members in public in a way that no other student even approaches, some of the most fair and kindest members too.

You are a very smart academic student, but your social skills need major improvement, and your lack of understanding of how important hand skills are as characterized by your earlier post is flat out frightening. You are dealing with people's heath. When we have to work on each other in classes such as perio and anesthesia your own classmates are flat out terrified that they may get the unlucky card to be your partner. I cannot say this about anyone else in the class.

I am not saying any of this to make fun of you but to give you a chance to see if you can turn yourself around. To do so, you'd have to change your whole attitude. The way you have been approaching your time here makes you a danger to any patient you will ever work on, and an unfit person to represent our profession. Dentistry is not a joke, you can seriously screw somebody up. You have been given several chances to remediate courses and improve yourself but yet you are not coming close to making that mark.

You really have to turn the mirror on yourself and examine the way you conduct yourself. At this point I think a research, academic role is much more suited toward your temperament. Do you really think you'll be able to deal with patients every day questioning you at every turn? Or will you blow up on them too? That my friend is the recipe for a failed dentist. If you don't change your ways you will never be a dentist. Not at USC, not anywhere because it would be unethical to allow you into the practice of dentistry. The most important thing in dentistry is the patient, and right now you're on the course to be the worst thing for them.

Realize your responsibilities and hopefully figure out some ways to turn your social conduct around, most likely with the assistance of specialists and you'll be doing yourself a huge favor.
Ooh, the plot thickens...

popcorn-m.jpg

Wow! Navy DDS, your story is amazing! Props to you.

OP, I strongly encourage you to really do some soul searching. So many people would trade to be in your shoes in DS right now. I really believe that a change in attitude is what needs to take place. Yea we all hate DS at some point but suck it up, stick it through and you'll be out sooner than you think. Everyone deals with the bs life throws at you every day. You're not the only one. Not only everyone will love their school but hey once you finish you'll never have to back ever again.

Unbelievable.. sorry about all those tough times, I can't imagine what I would have done if any of that happened to me.

You're a tough guy, and with hardship comes success

Hey OP,

This is exactly what was concerning to me as I was reading through this thread...

OP, you are getting a lot of tough love from people on this board who have been where you have been. Everyone has said what they've said in as encouraging and positive a manner as they've been able, but the truth still needs to be said and the truth can be a big pill to swallow.

Similarly, your dental school wants you to graduate but they aren't going to make it easy for you. They don't want to be responsible for handing out professional DOCTORATE degrees to quacks. It's difficult to have to hang in that fine balanced area between helping you through while not coddling you and usually the balance shifts more towards demeaning.

Some faculty take on their responsibilities with huge heads and egos - it happens everywhere and is unavoidable. I had a faculty member (a dean) call me stupid (his word!) when I claimed he had said something (which he absolutely did) when it came back around to bite him. I swallowed my pride and let him have his, but I still think about how insulting, demeaning, and downright mean he was. Especially when dealing with me -- a professional student and future colleague! But sadly that's just the type of people (not all of them) that you run into in dental school. But I didn't let him get to me and I chugged ahead and graduated. Now he calls me "doctor".

My advice would be to worry about yourself and less about how everyone at the school is trying to screw you over. You have assigned seats? Big deal! Sit in them and thank the professor who assigned them for the opportunity! If you want to be a dentist you have to go through dental school. If not, there are plenty of predents who would LOVE to be in your seat - assigned or otherwise.

Find an adviser - faculty, dean, councilor, upperclassman, lunch-lady, WHOEVER - who you trust and let them know what you're feeling. Likely they'll tell you exactly what we're telling you and ultimately it's YOU who needs to change, but having someone who has a more intimate knowledge of your school and program may lend some benefits! Go to them with an open mind and leave your ego at home. You will not be able to transfer or reapply so staying is your only option if you really want that DDS. However, don't make the mistake of believing that you're the only person ever to have a tough time with dental school! Don't reinvent the wheel! Seek the advice of someone who has been through it or who has seen it before! A professor for your academics? An upperclassman to tutor you on handskills? A dean to develop a study plan? A councilor to work on your attitude towards the school? Together you can get through this, become a great dentist, and perhaps grow into a more mature and capable individual.

It'll be a tough road, likely made tougher now that you're on academic probation and have that sour taste in your mouth. But it can be done. PM if you have any questions. Good luck! Believe it or not, we're all cheering for you!

how do people with no people/self-management skills get through the gates?? i thought the old adcom mantra was "its more than what's on paper." man! i suppose never having seen the inside of a dental student's life would make me the least adequate person to comment but...posts like the OP's definitely give me that sinking feeling! hope you work it out...

OP, The terrible things that you point out about your school are trivial. I strongly suggest that you see a counselor before you withdraw and ruin your future in dentistry. It sounds like you are either immature or depressed. If you truly want to be a dentist don't do anything to jeopardize your goal. Have you thought about what you life will be like in 10 years if you don't stick with it? You'll probably be working for some a-hole boss making $40K a year. Three more years of hell is nothing compared to a lifetime of misery and regrets. Just think before you do anything that you'll regret for the rest of your life.

how do people with no people/self-management skills get through the gates?? i thought the old adcom mantra was "its more than what's on paper." man! i suppose never having seen the inside of a dental student's life would make me the least adequate person to comment but...posts like the OP's definitely give me that sinking feeling! hope you work it out...
Its next to impossible to detect anti-social behavior from a basic 30 minutes "hi how you doing" interview.

People dropping out of dental school / flunking / change of heart / etc are a "measured" loss. School's know that not 100% of their class ends up graduating in 4 years (maybe more like 90%+, and maybe even higher 95%s). Believe me, the LAST thing a school wants is someone dropping out, thats business loss.

you know what -- i am so damn tired of seeing people in here trying to be politically correct and on the side cheering on "tough it out", "keep at it" ect. ect.

everyone knows what dental school is all about -- so to the OP don't bore me with your whining tales -- heard it before and won't be the last. If you don't like it, get the F out. people here are too nice. and to all those that are whining the same--as the OP-- same for you. There are way too many threads saying how expensive DS is, how much worthless info they have to memorize, how demeaning the teachers are, how there's no chairs in the clinic, how there's no time for personal life, how how how,

Cry me a freakin river. everyone's going through the same thing. learn to enjoy DS for what it is. leave if you don't, can't or won't. And people need to just tell all these whinning, self entitled, premadonnas to drop out and leave if they can't hack it. quit all the sugary-politically correct, always trying to support-attitude,with these type of people. I'm sick of it.

Last edited:
you know what -- i am so damn tired of seeing people in here trying to be politically correct and on the side cheering on "tough it out", "keep at it" ect. ect.

everyone knows what dental school is all about -- so to the OP don't bore me with your whining tales -- heard it before and won't be the last. If you don't like it, get the F out. people here are too nice. and to all those that are whining the same--as the OP-- same for you. There are way too many threads saying how expensive DS is, how much worthless info they have to memorize, how demeaning the teachers are, how there's no chairs in the clinic, how there's no time for personal life, how how how,

Cry me a freakin river. everyone's going through the same thing. learn to enjoy DS for what it is. leave if you don't, can't or won't. And people need to just tell all these whinning, self entitled, premadonnas to drop out and leave if they can't hack it. quit all the sugary-politically correct, always trying to support-attitude,with these type of people. I'm sick of it.

That's the big man on campus right hurr.

I disagree with everyone. you should quit! (unless you take your attitude and do a complete 180 degrees).
If I think you are who you are (and I readily admit I could be wrong). you had worse than bad hand skills. your hand skills were so bad that you did more harm than good. You also had the audacity to argue with some of the nicest professors here (once over how to calculate your grade, as in you didn't know how to do basic math [yes you were that dumb], once because one of the professors was helping you and got a call from his wife...list goes on and on). I agree with you that ACADEMIC testing is a problem in the school, but clinically you are definitely going to one of the best in the country (we start learning to use handpieces first day of school). You knew USC was a clinically oriented school from day 1.

Last edited:
WOW. I am a podiatry student who somehow stumbled upon this thread. Your story is incredibly inspiring my friend.... If I ever met you I would buy you a beer in a second.

A lot of heartache to go through for a beer.

Please refer to PM.

Last edited:
Haha, sure is Tooth Doc. Really enjoyed dort-ort's post. People whining about being talked down to, exams are TOO hard, people are mean.... would've loved to have seen this kid in Army Basic Training. Would've been shark bait!

This is true. And then when they hood you at graduation, they finally treat you like colleagues.
Sounds like hazing in a frat, except for 4 years instead of a semester