Plastic Surgeon's Memoirs (Book)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boomski

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was looking for a couple books recently too. I haven't read these but they looked interesting enough that I might get around to them at some point. If someone has read either I would interested to know what they thought.

"In Stitches" by Dr. Anthony Youn (he's on tv a lot but I didn't know he needed surgery as a kid)

"Face to Face, my quest to perform the first face transplant" by Maria Siemionow

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably the best book about Plastics out there is "Surgery of the Soul" by Joseph Murray. Plastic surgeon, first kidney transplant, Nobel Laureate.

Reactions: 1 users
Bumping this for additional opinions, as well as hopefully a review/summary on Murray's Surgery of the Soul

One of my favorites which is also pretty informative and just an all around great coffee table book is "Aesthetic Surgery" by Taschen. Takes you through the entire spectrum (US and international) of beginning to current in plastic surgery.

I second Surgery of the Soul by J. Murray. There's also "Truth, lies, and the OR (the good, the bad, and the realities)" by FW Ernst, "Are those Real" by Norman Leaf, Complications by Gawande, "Osler" by Bryan, "The Doctors Mayo" by Clapesattle,

I'd also recommend these for surgeons to read:
1. Crucial Conversations (Tools for talking when the stakes are high) by Patterson et al, author of the 7 habits of highly effective people
2. Slicing Pie (Funding your company without funds) by Moyer (for the entrepreneurs)
3. Top Knife (the art and craft of trauma surgery) by Mattox
4. The verbal judo way of leadership by Thompson (helpful for all areas of medicine but esp surgeons who need to lead a team)
5. A chance to cut is a chance to cure by Rip Pfeiffer Jr (usually can only find on Amazon every now and then, great anecdotal stories etc for surgical residents to relate to and laugh at, great stocking stuffer to give to practicing surgeons who have everything)
6. Flash Boys by Lewis to ground you and show how ridiculous we think we are to be able to "beat the stock market" (For the gamblers, stock market players, etc)
7. Better and Faster: The Proven Path to Unstoppable Ideas, by Jeremy Gutsche, CEO of Trend Hunter (For those entrepreneurs in the crowd)
8. Straight to Hell: True Tales of Deviance, Debauchery, and Billion-Dollar Deals, by John Lefevre, the author of the highly followed and hilariously written Twitter feed GS Elevator (go ahead, Google GS Elevator and see if you can stop reading after 10 minutes)

Cheers and happy reading