Plastics and ENT research - impression to residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cranio

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the general view on having plastics (facial reconstructive) research is for applying to ENT? I have ENT research done (but it's weak - case study), but a plastics attending (not sure how well known, don't think he's involved in residency selection) offered up a project that he thinks will generate a couple pubs. My ENT mentor has a project as well, but will require a large time commitment and may not get pubs out by application time (I'm a MS3). Anyone have insight on which would be better?

Members don't see this ad.

Facial reconstruction is very applicable. The publication would be a nice feather in tour cap. You need to be able to stay focused on honoring your rotations, too, so time consuming research may end up biting you.

Facial reconstruction is very applicable. The publication would be a nice feather in tour cap. You need to be able to stay focused on honoring your rotations, too, so time consuming research may end up biting you.

Thanks for the response. I will be doing the plastics research. Follow up question:

I have finished medicine and surgery and honored both. Would it be worth kind of "sacrificing" my other rotations, which everyone seems to indicate are less important to program directors, to try and also do the ENT project? What is more valuable - all honors across the board, or some HP/P in peds/psych/FM/obgyn and ENT pubs? I'll be getting a letter from the ENT attending either way so we're just talking "on paper".

Members don't see this ad :)
I am wondering the same thing as Cranio. How much weight does research have these days in the match process since ENT is becoming more and more competitive? Would appreciate the input of the attendings on this forum.

To OP - AOA status would probably be more helpful IMO than additional research (assuming you already have other research you can talk about). It seems like honoring out 3rd year would be good towards that at most schools. The extra research will be helpful if you have time, but I wouldn't try to skip out on rotations /leave early even if it's just psych.

Thanks. I guess I'll focus on my 3rd year rotations then. I'm on the cusp for AOA - it would be really disappointing to bust my butt and not make it which is why I was considering just doing the ENT research.

Thanks. I guess I'll focus on my 3rd year rotations then. I'm on the cusp for AOA - it would be really disappointing to bust my butt and not make it which is why I was considering just doing the ENT research.

It would be more disappointing IMO to not even try and then always wonder what you might have been capable of doing. The AOA label is ultimately irrelevant, but you should always put in the best effort that you can. And with the state of ENT applications these days, there will undoubtably be others with AOA and lots of research.