Platelet Rich Plasma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pacman27

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in learning more about plt rich plasma

Is anyone doing this in practice
Does insurance pay for it
Whats the best training course to take to learn more about it

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks

If you do it how are results and what do you normally charge for these
I did my first one about 2 weeks ago. 40 year old male, fit. Owns his own personal training/high end conditioning business. Had a high ankle sprain 3 weeks prior. Significant edema, some residual bruising noted. Very painful over ATFL and other surrounding lateral ligaments up to syndesmosis. Used ultrasound guidance, injected 6ml total solution. He called me after 3 days will no swelling, nearly full ROM, 90% pain reduction. He has sent me a couple ballet dancers for Achilles issues for PRP. Will keep you updated.

Kit costs $250. I charged him $750. But if I keep getting that results im going to charge $10,000 and wait for Kobe.

LOL.... $750-$1500 is what I have seen most for cash pay. Im just new at it so I started at $750.

In the US, currently this practice is frequently a cash practice with insurers balking at paying for something that is clearly experimental. There are numerous studies that show marginal improvement, and the higher quality studies show virtually no difference than placebo. eg http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24060428 Therefore, the ethical use of such therapies is predicated on appropriate information given to the patient in advance that the technique is highly questionable, may provide short term relief if any at all, and that it is considered investigational/experimental. If the patient is willing to pay cash after such disclosure, then go for it....since if it doesn't work, the fool is the patient for desiring to have and pay a huge amount of money for an experimental treatment. The question of whether this constitutes substandard medical practice will probably not arise unless there is litigation due to a complication.

I did my first one about 2 weeks ago. 40 year old male, fit. Owns his own personal training/high end conditioning business. Had a high ankle sprain 3 weeks prior. Significant edema, some residual bruising noted. Very painful over ATFL and other surrounding lateral ligaments up to syndesmosis. Used ultrasound guidance, injected 6ml total solution. He called me after 3 days will no swelling, nearly full ROM, 90% pain reduction. He has sent me a couple ballet dancers for Achilles issues for PRP. Will keep you updated.

Kit costs $250. I charged him $750. But if I keep getting that results im going to charge $10,000 and wait for Kobe.

LOL.... $750-$1500 is what I have seen most for cash pay. Im just new at it so I started at $750.

The real question is if you did the same injection with perhaps 2cc dex and 4cc marcaine would you got the same result. You will.

That's awesome that it worked, but what was rationale for doing this 3 weeks post injury? I don't do PRP, but thought it was generally used in the more sub acute to chronic phase, ie when there is no longer as much inflammation

That's awesome that it worked, but what was rationale for doing this 3 weeks post injury? I don't do PRP, but thought it was generally used in the more sub acute to chronic phase, ie when there is no longer as much inflammation
Literature shows the best results in the acute phase. Worse in subacute, chronic.

The real question is if you did the same injection with perhaps 2cc dex and 4cc marcaine would you got the same result. You will.
I am not too sure that you would. I have used dex/marc for acute sprains of ligamentous structures before with some short term benefit. Never a result like this. It was my first one, but man, what a difference. I'm not sure there is enough literature on it yet to truly know. My N=1 showed a helluva great result.

Not sure if I agree with best results in acute phase, but don't see harm either. I've taken Marcaine out of my office due to more harmful effects on myocytes and chondrocytes......only use diluted lidocaine now.

Could you give us citations for that literature

+1

As much as I would like to believe in PRP, so far there's almost no real, statistically valid, studies demonstrating significant improvement with PRP, so your claim that it "works best in acute injuires" needs literature support.

Most acute injuries get better anyway.