Please advise! UNMC, NAU, UW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovePT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I need advice of possibly the best pt program to consider. I have went to university of nebraska medical center (UNMC), northern Arizona University (NAU), and University of Washington (UW) to check it out. I like different things about these three schools.

University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) omaha, ne
pros
-have patient simulation program where students get to use it in their second semester of their first year and it will be used through out the three years.
-Sharing clinic= a clinic in unmc where students in the program get to work with underserved ppl in nebraska.
-new facilities
-get to work with other health professions as well since it is right next to nebraska medical center
-cheaper cost of living (about 500-600 dollars for 1 bedroom)
-receive non-resident tuition scholarship (pay almost as NE resident in my first year)
cons
-the weather in the midwest
-being far from family and friends
-haven't heard much about their reputation from where i live. The only thing i know is the information that i received when i went for interview and the US news ranking.
-can't establish residency unless i married someone from nebraska (according to the school)

Northern Arizona University (NAU), Flagstaff, AZ
Pros
-Great Reputation of preparing their graduates for the profession
-might have patient simulation program that use with the nursing program (their students didn't know much about it, so i'm guessing it is a new thing in their program)
-Seems like a great place to live in Flagstaff, AZ.
-Tons of outdoor activities
-easy to get residency
-cheaper tuition
Cons
-the building seems really old
-don't have that many cadavers (their students said they have 6)
-didn't feel very comfortable at the place compared to other one (maybe due to how the interview process went with one of the professors
-expensive cost of living (about 700-900 dollars for 1 bedroom)

University of Washington (UW), Seattle, WA
Pros
-Great reputation
-have seen how their graduates work in the profession. (they truly know their stuff)
-will have a newer classroom for this fall
-right next to the University of washington Medical Center (rank 3rd as best rehab hospital)
-will pay as instate resident (same cost as NAU)
-get to work with other health professions like OT, prothetics and orthotics program)
-used to live in seattle and attended 1 year at UW.. so know the area really well
Cons
-expensive cost of living
-don't have the patient simulation (at least not that i know of )
-quarter system (i know how intense that will get especially changing from semester to quarter)
-the tuition might increase for the next few years because of the budget cut in WA state.

Sorry for such a long message.

any advices for which one i choose would truly be appreciated.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm planning to attend NAU in the fall, and I've been living in Flagstaff for the past several years. I don't know much about the other programs you listed, but overall I would say NAU is a great choice. From what I hear, you can gain residency after one year here, and as a resident the program tuition is only about $8,000 a year(depending on the tuition changes). That is a ton cheaper than most programs. The program is highly regarded by many PT's I know who have gone there as well. Yes, 1 bedroom apartments are pretty expensive, but if you look around you can rent a room in a house for around $500 with utilities. I currently pay that amount for a room in a nice neighborhood with other students. The outdoor life here is great I think. Many places to hike, bike, just relax in the outdoors. Although the facilities aren't the most up-to-date, I don't consider that a huge deal in my education.

Overall I chose the program because I work with a lot of the PT school's alumni, and they are great therapists. If I chose to go to A.T. Still University here in Arizona, I would be paying about $50,000 more overall. To me, that would just be throwing money down the drain.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have anymore questions!