Please chance me for DO/PhD at MSU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted614224

I am interested in DO/PhD program with MSUCOM. I don't know whether my numbers are competitive enough for it. GPA: 3.734 (Honour Biochemistry with 7 months research) and MCAT: 32. Do you think that will be enough for the program?

Oh! I am Canadian, so MSU might not like me.

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in DO/PhD program with MSUCOM. I don't know whether my numbers are competitive enough for it. GPA: 3.734 (Honour Biochemistry with 7 months research) and MCAT: 32. Do you think that will be enough for the program?

Oh! I am Canadian, so MSU might not like me.
Have you contacted them regarding your interest? You should certainly do so. It mentions the process on the following page:
http://com.msu.edu/DO-PhD-Program/Admissions.htm

They have accepted Canadians in the past, and MSUCOM, in general, is quite receptive of Canadian applicants (and explicitly state that Canadians are eligible to apply for DO/PhD). Your numbers seem pretty good. Regardless, contact the program to determine your eligibility!

They mention 9 months of research is required. I expect you would, hopefully, have that by matriculation.

7 months research is pretty weak for PhD though, should do a masters first.

Members don't see this ad :)
7 months research is pretty weak for PhD though, should do a masters first.
Not only weak but doesn't meet the minimum of 9 months that the website states are required. I think a PhD is generally a bad idea unless you have substantial experience to know you're into research that much.

Not only weak but doesn't meet the minimum of 9 months that the website states are required. I think a PhD is generally a bad idea unless you have substantial experience to know you're into research that much.
Having done 7 years of research (5 of which it took me to realize a PhD was not what I wanted), I agree that's important. Jumping into nearly a decade of education is a lot to swallow for something you may end up not loving.

However, that's not to say the OP should not at least look into it by contacting the school. Plus, the people in admissions are all very nice, so the OP will at least get some good information to make an informed decision.

To address all the OP's questions explicitly:
1) Your MCAT/GPA numbers are competitive.
2) Your research will be on the low end. Considering only around 4-6 students are admitted per year, chances are that your experience may not be enough without stellar recommendations.
3) Being Canadian is not a real issue.

I wouldn't apply PhD route without a published paper at best or more research experience at least. There are schools that discriminate against Canadians, especially the ones that are funded by the state government.

Thanks for your insight, everyone. I heard about the option from a friend of mine who got accepted into MD/PhD in UofToronto and become interested in it. But, he has more research experience than me. Personally, I don't mind a decade with eduation. I think I would rather enjoy it. But, like you all said, maybe I should just try to get into DO school first. However, it is hard to know whether you would love to do research or not after undergrad. We get too little exposure to research. The 7 months were difficult for me to acquire [I have to do unimaginable things (all perfectly legal, suck up included) to get even that much]. Going into master is just plain strange since I am dead set on med school.

One option at MSUCOM is to apply at the beginning of your second year and enter the joint program after finishing your pre-clerkship curriculum... so that's also something to consider if you're unsure right now.

This is interesting. I might do just that. Though, it seems easier said than done. Could you please give some guidance as to how to do such a thing (assuming I can get into MSUCOM, which is rather nerve wracking).

Here's the relevant (and a bit of extra) information for you:

Are Canadian citizens are other International students eligible?
Yes.

Can I take a tour of campus and meet other current students?
Yes. Please contact the DO-PhD Program Office at 517-353-7785 to make an arrangement for this.

Can I enter the DO-PhD Program after I have already started medical school?
Yes, after MSUCOM students complete all the medical coursework (year one & two) and take the COMLEX Level 1 Board exam they can enter the DO-PhD Program. Students who wish to do this should apply to a graduate program at the beginning of the second year of medical school. Students must be competitive with other DO-PhD applicants.

Can I transfer from another College of Osteopathic Medicine to MSUCOM and enter the DO-PhD Program?
Yes. Students must make a request to the COM they are attending for such a transfer. The optimal time to enter the program is after the second year of medical school and after passing the COMLEX Level 1. Students must apply to a graduate program at MSU and be accepted. Special requirements for transfer can be found athttp://www.com.msu.edu/admissions/transfers.html. Students must be competitive with other DO-PhD applicants.

Can I complete one degree before beginning the other?
No. Students are admitted to the DO-PhD Program only if they will be working on both a PhD and a medical degree simultaneously. Students may complete both degrees one after the other, but they would not be considered part of the DO-PhD Program.

Pardon me if I am obtuse, but what is the implication in there?

Honor... spelt as Honour. Just messing with you, I grew up spelling that way myself.

For a more helpful response, I had very similar stats to you and received interviews for some dual programs I applied to but ultimately decided not to take them. However, I had 4-5 years of research experience at the time with a couple publications and a ton of posters. Stats-wise you're very solid but I would be concerned about lack of research exp.

Is there a strong reason why you want to do the joint program? It's a potential big commitment without having a lot of first hand experience.

I see... To answer your question, I don't really have any compelling reasons to choose a DO/PhD (I know it sounds horrible). I just want to to go medical school. In Canada, it is really difficult to go to Med school, much less one with PhD program so I have never really thought about it. During my last year in University, I enjoyed the act of doing research but not the subject matter. However, when I was looking at MSUCOM, I saw a couple of Prof's projects that I am rather interested in. Hence, this entire thread.

I supposed I got my answers now. I should just try to get myself in Med school. After a while, try to see whether I still want research.