Please chance me. Low MCAt, High GPA (3.9 cGPA, 3.9 sGPA, 29 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fakedoctor123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pending the advice of some of the SDN experts... my opinion is that you would have a good chance at mid/lower tier private MD schools but perhaps a difficult time with California schools.

Think about schools like Quinnipiac, EVMS, Temple, Drexel, Jefferson, Albany, or certainly any DO program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Upon reconsideration, if I were to retake my mcat and get at least 1 or 2 points higher (a 30 or a 31) either on the old MCAT or an equivalent score for the new MCAT, would my chances increase high enough so that it is worth it to take it again? Or should I just apply with a 29?

Honestly, an extra 1 or 2 points wouldn't help all that much.

A 3.9/29 from UCI gives you a good shot at acceptance provided you apply early and broadly. Focus on private schools and OOS friendly publics.

Chances are though, you'll have to leave CA for med school.

100% concur. invest in MSAR Online and target schools whose median numbers are closest to yours. Forget the UCs...they don't need the donations. Loma Linda is possible, but read their list of don'ts.

Pending the advice of some of the SDN experts... my opinion is that you would have a good chance at mid/lower tier private MD schools but perhaps a difficult time with California schools.

Think about schools like Quinnipiac, EVMS, Temple, Drexel, Jefferson, Albany, or certainly any DO program.

Upon reconsideration, if I were to retake my mcat and get at least 1 or 2 points higher (a 30 or a 31) either on the old MCAT or an equivalent score for the new MCAT, would my chances increase high enough so that it is worth it to take it again? Or should I just apply with a 29?
A re-take of 1-2 points is expected, just based on having seen a version of the test and having the advantage of the previous experience. It is no help (at least in CA).