PLEASE Check My School List!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
California resident (white male)

3.3-3.4 GPA
31 MCAT (11/9/11)

Attended community college and then transferred to UCLA and received BS in neuroscience.

-400 hours clinical volunteer in surgery center
-50 hours clinical volunteer in Children's hospital in program for disadvantaged children
-50 hours clinical volunteer in radiology/ER department of hospital
-750 hours/ 5 quarters of Alzheimer research performing immunohistochemistry stainings
-other small non-medical volunteer (nothing crazy)
-lots of shadowing (pediatric pathologist, surgical pathology, radiology, anesthesia, orthopedic surgery, family medicine)
-mostly decent LOR and one great LOR from P.I. at UCLA

Here is my list so far. If any of you brilliant SDNers know of any schools that I should add or take away, PLEASE comment! Thank you so much!

UC Riverside, California
UC Irvine, California
UC Davis, California
University of Arizona, Arizona
University of Arizona (Phoenix), Arizona
Oakland University William Beaumont, Michigan
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University, New Jersey
Frank H. Netter at Quinnipiac University, Connecticut
New York Medical College, New York
Albany, New York
The Commonwealth Medical College, Pennsylvania
Drexel, Pennsylvania
Temple, Pennsylvania
Tulane, Louisiana
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University, Illinois
Rush Med College, Illinois
University of Missouri-Kansas City, Missouri
Virginia Commonwealth University, Virginia
Eastern Virginia, Virginia
Virginia Tech Carilion, Virginia

I made some changes. Any schools I should add that have good OOS or low GPA/MCAT? Also, should I even apply to any more CA schools? Loma Linda?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wrong forum, but check some of the missions of the schools on your list and see if you want to keep them. (hint the historically black ones - unless you're URM or have some major connection to serving those populations).

Reactions: 1 user
Wrong forum, but check some of the missions of the schools on your list and see if you want to keep them. (hint the historically black ones - unless you're URM or have some major connection to serving those populations).
Where do I post this? I know they are URM schools, but they fit my stats. Haha. I am a white male.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you're an URM, ditch the HBC's.

Of course, and with your stats, you're within reach of them for sure.

Because like I said, unless you're an urm, your chances are very slim. Delve into their published demographics and you'll see why. You can apply since it's your money. Others will chime in for further recommendations.

Unless you're Native American or a former long term resident of ND, you have a 0% chance at UND.

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk about the Cali state schools bc they're so competitive, but id add Some DO programs.

What other schools do you have that i can add? I only have 29
Schools

I wouldn't add that many more, considering how many secondaries you'll have to do. Have you started working on secondaries?

Also marshall's secondary emphasizes ties to west virginia in its secondary and I've been digging through its threads here for a while
"Why did you decide to apply to the Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine? If you have strong ties to West Virginia, please describe in detail. "

It also postpones reviewing OOS secondaries until later because it has a very specific mission and they really favor IS students. Up to you though. most OOSes have really strong stats or ties to the state, or are in neighboring states.

California resident (SUCKS!)
Stats: GPA 3.3-3.4
MCAT: 31 (11/9/11)
Went to community college, then transferred and graduated from UCLA with a degree in neuroscience.
-400 Hours clinical volunteer hours in surgery center
-50 hours clinical in hospital
-80 hours clinical in children's hospital assisting in a program for disadvantaged children
-750 hours research in Alzheimer's Lab performing immunohistochemistry stains on brain tissue
-other small non-medical volunteering such as helping with races, volunteer day at UCLA
-member of Neuroscience Undergraduate Society at UCLA

Here is my list so far. If any of you brilliant SDNers know of any schools that I should add or take away, PLEASE comment! Thank you so much!

UC Riverside, California
UC Davis, California
Hofstra North Shore-LIJ, New York
Morehouse, Georgia
Howard University, Washington DC
Meharry, Tennessee
Medical College of Wisconsin, Wisconsin
George Washington SOM, Washington DC
Creighton University SOM, Nebraska
Wake Forest SOM, North Carolina
Drexel, Pennsylvania
Albany, New York
Jefferson Medical College, Pennsylvania
Temple, Pennsylvania
Tulane, Louisiana
Virginia Tech Carilion SOM, Virginia
Loyola University Chicago Stritch SOM, Illinois
Medical University of South Carolina COM, South Carolina
Marshall University Joan C. Edwards SOM, West Virginia
University of North Dakota SOM and HS, North Dakota
University of Missouri-Kansas City SOM, Missouri

Thanks!

I just saw more info on marshall that i'd thought i'd share. when you try and apply to it in amcas it says "regular M.D. (As a state-assisted medical school, Marshall gives preference to state residents. Approximately 25 positions will be available for highly qualified nonresidents who live in states adjoining West Virginia, who have strong ties to WV or those who are introduced to our school through our out-of-state recruitment pipeline and outreach programs. Other nonresidents are not considered. Applicants must be US citizens or have a permanent resident visa.) (Restricted)"

Where do I post this? I know they are URM schools, but they fit my stats. Haha. I am a white male.
Mission-based schools have this connotation because a validated commitment to service in their community is the reason for their existence. Many of them have more than a century long history of dedication to their mission. If you do not fit this mission, your secondary fee will be devoted to it nonetheless.

Another mission-based school on your list is just a year old but without validated evidence of a commitment to serve the inland empire you will also be out of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw more info on marshall that i'd thought i'd share. when you try and apply to it in amcas it says "regular M.D. (As a state-assisted medical school, Marshall gives preference to state residents. Approximately 25 positions will be available for highly qualified nonresidents who live in states adjoining West Virginia, who have strong ties to WV or those who are introduced to our school through our out-of-state recruitment pipeline and outreach programs. Other nonresidents are not considered. Applicants must be US citizens or have a permanent resident visa.) (Restricted)"

I wonder if PA is considered one of those "adjoining states". Granted, in order to be qualified, I'd likely have to totally beast my mcat.

I wonder if PA is considered one of those "adjoining states". Granted, in order to be qualified, I'd likely have to totally beast my mcat.

I was going to try using PA in my secondaries for that school because I have family there. It's way more worth it for you than any of us CA students, honestly. If I were in your situation i'd apply to that school no questions asked even with a lower mcat.

I was going to try using PA in my secondaries for that school because I have family there. It's way more worth it for you than any of us CA students, honestly. If I were in your situation i'd apply to that school no questions asked even with a lower mcat.

I'm also wondering if growing up in an extremely rural area would at all be beneficial for some schools. I'd really love to go back to a place like home (not a huge fan of the suburbs). I've heard that TCMC values rural ties (could be wrong), I'm also from about an hour away from there.

So many questions. And I'm not even applying this year.

I'm also wondering if growing up in an extremely rural area would at all be beneficial for some schools. I'd really love to go back to a place like home (not a huge fan of the suburbs). I've heard that TCMC values rural ties (could be wrong), I'm also from about an hour away from there.

So many questions. And I'm not even applying this year.

Anything can work if you back it up well enough, I think that'll definitely do well. Just don't make your personal statement about the Isla Vista shooting or anything like that (just no).

Thanks I'll
Remove that

Okay, so I made some changes to my list. Does anyone have any schools I should add/remove from the list? Preferably with good OOS (Im a CA resident), low GPA/MCAT, etc that I may have a chance at? I would love to have an MD, but I am also applying to some DO programs as well.

Okay, so I made some changes to my list. Does anyone have any schools I should add/remove from the list? Preferably with good OOS (Im a CA resident), low GPA/MCAT, etc that I may have a chance at? I would love to have an MD, but I am also applying to some DO programs as well.
Personally I really wouldn't apply to the HBC's unless you have shown very strong commitment to their missions throughout school/your life, and if you are trying to save as much money as possible, I might not include some of the schools that are the highest applied to each year. Also unless you have IE connection, I would ditch UCR as well. Other than that, I would probably fill some of those slots with DO schools if you're open/interested in them.

Personally I really wouldn't apply to the HBC's unless you have shown very strong commitment to their missions throughout school/your life, and if you are trying to save as much money as possible, I might not include some of the schools that are the highest applied to each year. Also unless you have IE connection, I would ditch UCR as well. Other than that, I would probably fill some of those slots with DO schools if you're open/interested in them.

IE? I am applying to a 15 DOs as well. Which schools are the "most applied to?" And what schools In your opinion should I add?

I found out what IE means. I live in San Diego, and went to UCLA. Hopefully, if in my secondary I can share that I would love to live in Los Angeles as a physician.
Providing physicians to Los Angeles is exactly contrary to the mission for which the benefactor provided funds to open UCR.

Reactions: 2 users
Providing physicians to Los Angeles is exactly contrary to the mission for which the benefactor provided funds to open UCR.

I don't mean Los Angeles city specifically. I meant the Greater Los Angeles Area. I have grown up in San Diego, but have always wanted to live in Riverside/Temecula area because of the cost of living.

I don't mean Los Angeles city specifically. I meant the Greater Los Angeles Area. I have grown up in San Diego, but have always wanted to live in Riverside/Temecula area because of the cost of living.
Make this the centerpiece of your secondary (if you can support it) and you are in business.

Good luck, schools are used to applicants trying to say everything they think the schools want to hear. You can tell them you love everything about the IE area, but what have you done to ever show your commitment to that area? If you haven't even grown up there/have close family ties there why should they possibly believe you'll want to come back there when you can have more opportunities, that are better paying, in more desirable areas?

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck, schools are used to applicants trying to say everything they think the schools want to hear. You can tell them you love everything about the IE area, but what have you done to ever show your commitment to that area? If you haven't even grown up there/have close family ties there why should they possibly believe you'll want to come back there when you can have more opportunities, that are better paying, in more desirable areas?

I'm not going to make up stuff for my secondaries. My wife and I have always talked about moving to that area. She has family that lives in Riverside and would love to live closer to them. I just like the area much better than crowded San Diego. I don't know how to "support" this though...any ideas?

I'm not going to make up stuff for my secondaries. My wife and I have always talked about moving to that area. She has family that lives in Riverside and would love to live closer to them. I just like the area much better than crowded San Diego. I don't know how to "support" this though...any ideas?
Not saying you will, but unfortunately many do and it will be hard to convince them you aren't doing the same. As far as ideas, I would maybe ask some people who were accepted or interviewed at UCR about what they used as ties and see if anyone had a situation similar to yours and see how they presented it.

Reactions: 1 users
Be honest, did you do any research on the schools you are applying to? It sure looks like you didn't. I'd say why you should eliminate the following schools in red, but that would take too long. Most of it is due to your low mcat/gpa, having no ties to area, low OOS rates%, too many applicants applying, being incompatible to mission statements. etc.

UC Riverside, California (If you've never lived in IE, don't even bother)
UC Davis, California
Morehouse, Georgia
Meharry, Tennessee

Drexel, Pennsylvania
Albany, New York
Temple, Pennsylvania
Tulane, Louisiana

Be honest, did you do any research on the schools you are applying to? It sure looks like you didn't. I'd say why you should eliminate the following schools in red, but that would take too long. Most of it is due to your low mcat/gpa, having no ties to area, low OOS rates%, too many applicants applying, being incompatible to mission statements. etc.

UC Riverside, California (If you've never lived in IE, don't even bother)
UC Davis, California
Morehouse, Georgia
Meharry, Tennessee

Drexel, Pennsylvania
Albany, New York
Temple, Pennsylvania
Tulane, Louisiana

Yes, I used the MSAR to look up information. I know that the HBC on my list are reaches because I am not URM, however since I am above the averages I am thinking MAYBE Ill still have a small chance?

Whats wrong with Cooper, WF, and GW?

As you can see, I am just trying to get as many schools as possible since my GPA is low. My MCAT isn't low.

Yes, I used the MSAR to look up information. I know that the HBC on my list are reaches because I am not URM, however since I am above the averages I am thinking MAYBE Ill still have a small chance?

Whats wrong with Cooper, WF, and GW?

As you can see, I am just trying to get as many schools as possible since my GPA is low. My MCAT isn't low.

GW- Go check how many applications they receive a year.

Cooper- Go see how many students they admit per year, and also their class demographic.

WF- Go read their mission statement.

GW- Go check how many applications they receive a year.

Cooper- Go see how many students they admit per year, and also their class demographic.

WF- Go read their mission statement.

GW- I see they have about 13,000 OOS applications. REMOVED

Cooper- I see how many they accept, but that doesn't mean I don't have any chance. Also, the demographics are fine. Most are white.

WF-Im not sure why you think I should remove it.

Are there any schools that I should add?