Please Clear this up for me!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

williestyle81

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to med school now...but I'm a little confused about rotations and what not. is it 2 years of class work (lectures and labs) then your third year you do rotations and no class work? or both? how often are rotations? do you choose what hospital/area you can do them in? does the same apply to your fourth year??? thanx :)

Members don't see this ad.

It may vary slightly at some med schools, but in general you do 2 years of all classroom learning, then your 3rd and 4th year are spent in the hospital (on the wards). You generally don't have any classes your 3rd and 4th year, but you take exams at the end of each rotation. You do core rotations in Medicine (adults), Pediatrics, Psych, OB/GYN, and Surgery for 6-12 weeks each, plus you can do electives in other things like ER, Ophthomology, whatever. At my school you do core rotations at hospital's affiliated with the school, then electives wherever you want to (mostly in your 4th year).
Good luck