Please don't look down upon a osteopathic medical education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What about the other students?

Bottom of the barrel American and Canadian students. Also a lot of African and some European students. Most spent their time partying and dropped out midway.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Bottom of the barrel American and Canadian students. Also a lot of African and some European students. Most spent their time partying and dropped out midway.

Bro, that sucks. At least the dropouts didn't waste too much money though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn't I have to to do 2 more years of schooling then? Plus, I like to have complete autonomy while making clinical decisions. Are you a PA?
Big deal. You want to practice, right? It's not like a doctor is peering over your shoulder while you're doing an H&P. No, I am not a PA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Big deal? You want to practice, right? It's not like a doctor is peering over your shoulder while you're doing an H&P. No, I am not a PA.

You seem to have a strong opinion that the PA/NP lifestyle is far superior to a physician lifestyle. Why aren't you a PA then?

You seem to have a strong opinion that the PA/NP lifestyle is far superior to a physician lifestyle. Why aren't you a PA then?
I wouldn't start a fight over this. I think he's legitimately asking if you'd considered it since being a doctor seems less and less likely. You can just say you have zero interest in becoming one. I wouldn't want to be one either - nor a DO, and that's okay too.

Reactions: 1 users
Um, what other options do you have? Depending on specialty, physician will have worse lifestyle.

I wouldn't start a fight over this. I think he's legitimately asking if you'd considered it since being a doctor seems less and less likely. You can just say you have zero interest in becoming one. I wouldn't want to be one either - nor a DO, and that's okay too.

You seem to be unacquainted with dermviser. He has posted in other threads strongly pushing for PA while putting down physicians.....yet mysteriously dermviser is a physician and not a PA. He is a rabble rouser.

Ah, I just got your name. Skip, as in Skip, the SDN member who really helps out in the caribbean forums, and is now an anesthesiologist or something?

Ah, I just got your name. Skip, as in Skip, the SDN member who really helps out in the caribbean forums, and is now an anesthesiologist or something?
no that's another Skip

You seem to be unacquainted with dermviser. He has posted in other threads strongly pushing for PA while putting down physicians.....yet mysteriously dermviser is a physician and not a PA. He is a rabble rouser.
Wow, you post this:
I would like to convey my personal experiences. In the Fall of 2009, I joined Windsor medical school. I had a 34 MCAT but a 2.8 GPA (3.1 after considering retakes). I could have joined DO school but I was a fool. I looked down and sneered at osteopathic medical school. I also didn't want to waste time and money on a post-bacc. So, I joined a cheap Carib MD school so I can have the letters M.D behind my name.

Long story short. Due to poor clinical rotations and the poor reputation of Carib schools, especially one that's not part of the Big 4, I didn't match last year or this year. Now I manage a blood bank stateside and I've given up on my dreams of becoming a physician. But hey, I'm a M.D right? better than those lowly D.Os who are living the good life and earning quadruple what I'm earning.

Please, learn from my mistakes. I'm not putting Windsor down. I'm putting myself down. People from Windsor did match in 2014. But it's so much harder to match from a place like Windsor, just stay stateside.

and when given a viable solution to still practice medicine since medical school in the United States is effectively closed to you (MD or DO), you attack me? You can't see why NP/PA are also viable pathways to practicing medicine in this country? Good luck to you.

Thank you @type12. Exactly what I was getting at.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, you post this:

and when given a viable solution to still practice medicine since medical school in the United States is effectively closed to you (MD or DO), you attack me? You can't see why NP/PA are also viable pathways to practicing medicine in this country? Good luck to you.

thank you

I would like to convey my personal experiences. In the Fall of 2009, I joined Windsor medical school. I had a 34 MCAT but a 2.8 GPA (3.1 after considering retakes). I could have joined DO school but I was a fool. I looked down and sneered at osteopathic medical school. I also didn't want to waste time and money on a post-bacc. So, I joined a cheap Carib MD school so I can have the letters M.D behind my name.

Long story short. Due to poor clinical rotations and the poor reputation of Carib schools, especially one that's not part of the Big 4, I didn't match last year or this year. Now I manage a blood bank stateside and I've given up on my dreams of becoming a physician. But hey, I'm a M.D right? better than those lowly D.Os who are living the good life and earning quadruple what I'm earning.

Please, learn from my mistakes. I'm not putting Windsor down. I'm putting myself down. People from Windsor did match in 2014. But it's so much harder to match from a place like Windsor, just stay stateside.
SkipJunior, I want to send you my condolences! You've been through a rough life and I hope you will find new opportunities soon.

I can't offer any more suggestions that others haven't already thought of. I am eager to hear what your next move is as I am sure there are tons of people out there with the same problem! (Example : IMG)

SkipJunior, I want to send you my condolences! You've been through a rough life and I hope you will find new opportunities soon.

I can't offer any more suggestions that others haven't already thought of. I am eager to hear what your next move is as I am sure there are tons of people out there with the same problem! (Example : IMG)

Thank you very much. My next move is to apply for prelim spots in the 2015 match while also looking into the Assistant Physician positions in Missouri. I would like to apply for a GP license in the long run.

I thought you had to go to an accredited medical school in the US to do military.
Ah, I stand corrected. You can work in the military as a Caribbean-trained student, but only after completing a residency. They won't take you on for GMO tours post-internship.

Thank you very much. My next move is to apply for prelim spots in the 2015 match while also looking into the Assistant Physician positions in Missouri. I would like to apply for a GP license in the long run.

Yeah let us know how it goes with those two. This info would be extremely helpful. Good luck!

Last edited:
This is incorrect. I have numerous Flight Surgeon students/candidates in my course that are GMO SGU grads. To be in the Army Medical Corps:

1) Meet the prescribed professional, physical and ethical standards for appointment as a commissioned officer in the Army Medical Corps.
2) Be a U.S. citizen.
3) Have a favorable security investigation completed.
4) Have a current, unrestricted license to practice medicine in a state of the United States, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico or a territory of the United States.

5) Foreign graduates may apply if they have an Educational Counsel for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certificate or 5th pathway.
From the U.S. Army's Medical Corps Officer page:

REQUIREMENTS
To qualify for an officer appointment in the U.S. Army Medical Corps, you must:

• Meet the prescribed medical and moral standards for appointment as a commissioned officer
  • Be a U.S. citizen
  • Be a graduate of an American Medical Association or American Osteopathic Association accredited medical school
  • Have a current unrestricted license to practice medicine in the United States, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico or a territory of the United States
  • Be 21 - 46 years of age (physicians 47 years of age or older may apply for an age waiver)
http://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-j...ical-and-emergency/medical-corps-officer.html

OP, that's a really rough situation. I wish you the best of luck with the future. I would suggest that you don't give up and apply to every FM/psych/prelim position you can afford (like 150+ programs). You have at least one thing going for you, US citizenship. It's a tough road, but you never know, you might get lucky in the match or SOAP.

That is probably a good idea for OP because he/she can be licensed as a general practitioner in most states after that one year...

Windsor is only recognized by 30-some state medical boards. He'd have to cross reference the GP requirements for the states that actually recognize his degree.

This is incorrect. I have numerous Flight Surgeon students/candidates in my course that are GMO SGU grads. To be in the Army Medical Corps:

1) Meet the prescribed professional, physical and ethical standards for appointment as a commissioned officer in the Army Medical Corps.
2) Be a U.S. citizen.
3) Have a favorable security investigation completed.
4) Have a current, unrestricted license to practice medicine in a state of the United States, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico or a territory of the United States.

5) Foreign graduates may apply if they have an Educational Counsel for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certificate or 5th pathway.

Wouldn't the bolded above be an issue? OP can't get licensed in any state without at least 1 yr (maybe 2-3) of GME. Plus there's the other thing Mad Jack posted.

Um, what other options do you have? Depending on specialty, physician will have worse lifestyle.
I think this is an urban myth. It might be true for some physicians in surgery to escape crapy lifestyle, but non surgical physicians can choose to have a 'normal' lifestyle...of course there is a tradeoff for that, which might be lower salary.

Last edited:
May I ask why you wouldn't want to be a DO?

I think this is an urban myth. It might be true for some physicians in surgery to escape crapy lifestyle, but non surgical physicians can choose to have a 'normal' lifestyle...of course there is a tradeoff for that, which might be lower salary.

I would be glad to receive a lower salary for more reasonable regular hours. I hear ER physician jobs are now in demand because they offer an attractive salary while offering a reasonable workload/lifestyle?

I would be glad to receive a lower salary for more reasonable regular hours. I hear ER physician jobs are now in demand because they offer an attractive salary while offering a reasonable workload/lifestyle?
The pay might good for ER (250K-300k), but I heard the job can be tough. I also heard burnout is high for ER... However, I spoke to ER doc 1 year ago that worked at a community hospital, he said the job was not that bad at all.

May I ask why you wouldn't want to be a DO?
This is not the thread for that, but very briefly, there are some doors that would be absolutely closed with a DO. They are not doors many people use, but I'm currently interested in those as an MS-1

This is not the thread for that, but very briefly, there are some doors that would be absolutely closed with a DO. They are not doors many people use, but I'm currently interested in those as an MS-1
What doors? Practicing internationally?