Please evaluate my plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

customx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from UW with a business degree in '04 and a 3.29 GPA. I have been doing an informal postbacc during the last 1.5 years at a community college and have taken:
Chem 1,2,3 (My school is on the quarter system)
Bio 1,2,3
Ochem 1
Physics 1,2
Microbiology
A&P 1

My science GPA is 3.6, but I've only been able to raise my accumulated GPA from UW to a 3.37. Even if I get an A in my last two quarters of ochem, it will only go up to a 3.39, but my science GPA would move up to 3.65.

I've been working full-time while taking classes, so my ECs and shadowing have suffered. I really need to add more hours to both of these categories before I apply in June. I'm registered for Ochem 2 and A&P 2 for winter quarter, though I noticed only 6 schools actually require A&P2. I'm starting to think that I shouldn't take it this quarter so that I can focus on volunteering, shadowing, and preparing for the DAT. I would like to apply as early as possible, but applying in July is also an option. I just don't want to be weighed down by work and studying to earn an A where I don't leave myself enough time to study for the DAT, volunteer/shadow. I could always take A&P 2 in the fall of '12 if I need to finish it as a prereq.

My plan is to take biochem in the winter and spring quarter of '13, along with physics 3. I can also take immunology and genetics in the fall of '12 if need be.

Do you think it's better to take A&P 2 later and allow myself more time to shadow/volunteer and prep for the DAT, or should I just finish it asap and apply in July? Is there anything else that you would recommend? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from UW with a business degree in '04 and a 3.29 GPA. I have been doing an informal postbacc during the last 1.5 years at a community college and have taken:
Chem 1,2,3 (My school is on the quarter system)
Bio 1,2,3
Ochem 1
Physics 1,2
Microbiology
A&P 1

My science GPA is 3.6, but I've only been able to raise my accumulated GPA from UW to a 3.37. Even if I get an A in my last two quarters of ochem, it will only go up to a 3.39, but my science GPA would move up to 3.65.

I've been working full-time while taking classes, so my ECs and shadowing have suffered. I really need to add more hours to both of these categories before I apply in June. I'm registered for Ochem 2 and A&P 2 for winter quarter, though I noticed only 6 schools actually require A&P2. I'm starting to think that I shouldn't take it this quarter so that I can focus on volunteering, shadowing, and preparing for the DAT. I would like to apply as early as possible, but applying in July is also an option. I just don't want to be weighed down by work and studying to earn an A where I don't leave myself enough time to study for the DAT, volunteer/shadow. I could always take A&P 2 in the fall of '12 if I need to finish it as a prereq.

My plan is to take biochem in the winter and spring quarter of '13, along with physics 3. I can also take immunology and genetics in the fall of '12 if need be.

Do you think it's better to take A&P 2 later and allow myself more time to shadow/volunteer and prep for the DAT, or should I just finish it asap and apply in July? Is there anything else that you would recommend? Thanks

I would suggest putting A&P off and do dat prep early. The earlier you submit your app, the better. That is very important.
It sounds like you have a solid plan except for taking all these courses at a community college.
It is well known that cc coursework is not as rigorous as coursework at the University level. Therefore, many dental schools put limits on the amount of cc coursework they will accept and some schools will not accept a single cc prereq.
You have already come pretty far already and I am not saying that it is impossible, but it is definitely going to work against you and you should begin looking into this and talk with the dental schools your interested in as soon as you can.
Goodluck

Do you think it's better to take A&P 2 later and allow myself more time to shadow/volunteer and prep for the DAT

Yeah, I'd do that. Also, apply in July to give yourself more time to do all of that stuff. The difference between June and July isn't much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'd do that. Also, apply in July to give yourself more time to do all of that stuff. The difference between June and July isn't much.

I've been reading these forums for the last two years and I always come across people saying to apply early. The longer you wait, the lower your chances are of receiving interviews in the fall. Is July considered to be late? Is August?

Thanks to both of you

I've been reading these forums for the last two years and I always come across people saying to apply early. The longer you wait, the lower your chances are of receiving interviews in the fall. Is July considered to be late? Is August?

Thanks to both of you

June or July same diff.

Something like October is late. I would say August is still fine, but still yes earlier the better.

Applying early does not mean you have a better chance... I suggest you take anp bcuz some schools look at science biology as a big factor especially upper level. Get your gpa as high as it can be... Taking one class will not stop your dat prep. Shadowing is very overratted, "so it takes 1,000 for you to figure out that you love dentistry"... 100 hrs tops

Applying early does not mean you have a better chance... I suggest you take anp bcuz some schools look at science biology as a big factor especially upper level. Get your gpa as high as it can be... Taking one class will not stop your dat prep. Shadowing is very overratted, "so it takes 1,000 for you to figure out that you love dentistry"... 100 hrs tops

While taking 1 extra class will not stop my DAT prep, it will severely cut into the time that I have available. I've been going to class from 10-2 and working from 2:30-11. Where do you suggest I find time in that schedule to shadow (I suppose I could shadow a couple hours in the mornings at 7am), volunteer (weekend mornings before I go to work?), study for my two classes, and study for the DAT? With my current schedule, I don't know how I can fit all that in to the limited hours of each day.

I would say study for the DAT, do well on it, worry about A&P later. You'll have time to take it.

While taking 1 extra class will not stop my DAT prep, it will severely cut into the time that I have available. I've been going to class from 10-2 and working from 2:30-11. Where do you suggest I find time in that schedule to shadow (I suppose I could shadow a couple hours in the mornings at 7am), volunteer (weekend mornings before I go to work?), study for my two classes, and study for the DAT? With my current schedule, I don't know how I can fit all that in to the limited hours of each day.

If you could do that adcoms would love that, (I know this for a fact). From what you have mentioned, It seems to me that you have only the minimum science classes with little upper level experience (my school has micro and anp as lower level 2000) you are competing with students who have so many upper level hrs in bio, that plays a big role. 2 very good friends of mines haven't got a acceptance letter yet b/c they haven't taken enough upper level bio. They has stellar stats at well known schools and they applied early.I didn't have their type of stats, however, they loved my science background (science major). GoodLuck and choose wisely.

Also, don't worry about you CommC hrs, I took all my prereqs there except for Biochem... I don't recall any data stating that Universities are harder than community college. Im a strong believer in work ethic. I made all A's at community college and when I transferred to a well respected university I proved that I can make all A's. Heck, w/ rate my professor anybody can find an easy teacher at any college...lol

You're right, I haven't taken that many upper level bio classes, except for microbiology and a&p1, both of which I got an A- in. Yes, some schools look down on classes taken at community colleges, but I'm prepared to deal with that. I think I would rather devote more time to my DAT prep and volunteering/shadowing than take 1 more a&p class. Provided I score 20+ on the DAT and keep my science GPA above a 3.6, wouldn't I have a good shot at being accepted next year?

I still plan on taking immunology and genetics at UW next fall, with two quarters of biochem after that. I should do well in those classes, so the CC thing being too easy should be moot, especially if I can back up my GPA with solid DAT scores.

You're right, I haven't taken that many upper level bio classes, except for microbiology and a&p1, both of which I got an A- in. Yes, some schools look down on classes taken at community colleges, but I'm prepared to deal with that. I think I would rather devote more time to my DAT prep and volunteering/shadowing than take 1 more a&p class. Provided I score 20+ on the DAT and keep my science GPA above a 3.6, wouldn't I have a good shot at being accepted next year?

I still plan on taking immunology and genetics at UW next fall, with two quarters of biochem after that. I should do well in those classes, so the CC thing being too easy should be moot, especially if I can back up my GPA with solid DAT scores.
3.6 is great, That's a great plan. I would say now to start thinking about your personal statement. This is what gets you looked at, I believe this is what got me in. My interviewers always brought up my personal statement. I believe your GPA & DAT gets the interview and your PS and interaction during the interview gets you in. Goodluck with DAT study