Please give me some advice! Thank you!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oneway

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a recent graduate from the class of 2010. Summer of my junior year I applied to medical schools but did not get in after receiving one interview, and was wait-listed until the very last minute. I have a cumulative GPA of 3.8, science GPA of 3.7. The main problem with my application was my MCAT. I took my first MCAT in May of 2009 and scored poorly (23). It was the worst choice to take the MCAT a day right after I flew in to California from Boston and was severely car-sicked after my over an hour drive to the test center. So after my results came out I was shocked and studied for an entire month before I took the exam again. This time, a fire drill happened during the test and when I came back all the highlights and answers I have put in the section was gone and we did not get any make up time. I still managed to improve my score by 6 points and got a 29P this time. But when the score of 29P came out it was already Aug 31st... pretty late in the application process. I have 2 summers of clinical research experience and have written a case report that was published electronically at the Annuals of Thoracic Surgery, and have presented the abstract of my paper at an all surgeons meeting. Currently, I am working as a full time volunteer research assistant, as well as a assistant research coordinator. I was wondering if you guys could any advice as to whether or not I should retake my MCAT? I usually work 12 hours a day and usually is extremely exhausted after work. I also don't know if I would be able to improve my score drastically above a 29. Please give me any advice on to what I could do and what other things I could do to improve my candidacy. All help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you working 12 hours a day in a volunteer position? The advantage of volunteering is that you get some control over when you show up.

Most would put in 2-3 months of dedicated study time before the MCAT. It's hard to imagine that your score wouldn't go up if you had the full test time to complete the questions. Sure, you'd have a chance with a 29 (55-60ish%), but a higher score would broaden your horizens.

I think there must be a lot you haven't mentioned. To improve your candidacy, you need clinical experience, average is 1,5 years/150 hours; surely you have more than two summers worth toward that expectation?. Most have 50 hours of shadowing. Most have some nonmedical, noncampus community service. Teaching and leadership also improve your application. Your research experience will be fine.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I wasn't too clear about my EC.
But during college, I have had experience working in a Biology Lab part time during the school year and full time during one summer. The two summers that I spent shadowing my uncle, I saw multiple surgeries in the OR and also served as a research assistance at the same time. That is how I was able to get a case report published as a first author. Currently, I am devoting a lot of time in my volunteer research because technically it is a job. The only thing is that the hospital does not have enough funding to pay me but since I think it is a very valuable experience, I decided to go for it. Also, during the last semester of my senior year I also got the chance to do an internship at the otolarynology department at a local hospital. This summer I also attended a surgeon conference and presented the abstract of my paper there along with other doctors who were presenting. I guess currently I am just stressed out as to whether or not a 3rd MCAT is a necessity. I do realize a score improvement would greatly broaden my horizon yet it means that I really need a substantial improvement from the last one to have things for my advantage. Do you have any suggestions on how you would allocate time to study for the MCAT if you have a work schedule 6am-6pm? Thank you so much for your feedback and help.

Do you have any suggestions on how you would allocate time to study for the MCAT if you have a work schedule 6am-6pm?
If you have down time during the day (meal breaks) consistently working on study materials for two extra hours per day will help. Or try to take off regular dedicated study time between tasks in mid day while at "work.".