Please help! Advice on research opportunities.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leenkh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from medical school overseas and I have started studying for the USMLE exams. However, in order to avoid having a gap year on my CV, I've been thinking about doing some research in the meantime. My questions are:
* What are my chances of getting a paid job if I have no previous experience in research? ( I have a greencard so this shouldn't be a problem)
* Since I am an MD but not licensed in the US, should I be applying for the position of a research assistant, research associate or postdoc fellow?
* Does a paid job have a clear advantage over a research volunteer (when I apply for my residency that is)?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was just offered a volunteer job at a really good project at a good hospital. Is it advisable that I take it or should I wait to get a paid job?

HI ! I'm in a similar situation as you where back in 2013. I've applied to so many RA positions, with no luck.
Or let me rephrase it's not lack of luck, but lack of experience. I've also tried emailing Principal Investigators and hasn't worked either.
So, what's the end of your story??
I still have 2 yrs left and I'm still pretty desperate but hopeful..

-Zero.Experienced.Research.Enthisiast