Please Help! Choosing between BS/MD or BS Dual Major (Ivy/Top Undergrad) then MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which route if you had my interests would you choose?

• Total voters

The Eclectic Pioneer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It will soon be time for me to apply to universities/programs and I'm having trouble with choosing my path.

This is not for stats/chances, etc. I purely just need advice/opinions/experiences.

I've always been eclectic by nature(hence the username) which makes me more drawn to interdisciplinary studies or subjects that involve aspects outside of the immediate subject. (i.e the connection between Science and Medicine)

I want to pursue a STEMmb'd career path (STEM (specifically BioMe*, Cheme, ElecE or a dual program that involves them all with a minor in CompS) (m=Med, I know I want to be a doctor (Anesthesiology or Neuroscience), (b=Business/Administration/Leadership (Physician Executive/C.O.O at a hospital), and Research (why I am also drawn to MD/PhD programs). All parts of my interests are inclined/related to Health Care which is what I'm most passionate about.

The BS/MD path is really attractive to me but since its followed by residences and isn't focused on research as much I'm not sure if I want to jeopardize possible research opportunities(Note: I'm not dreading residencies I just want to make sure I'm able to do impactful or fulfilling research during the 6 year(or so) track). The dual program(multiple majors) for undergrad(at top school for the field I'm interested in or ivy) followed by the MD/PhD program is attractive because of the emphasis on research but if I know I want to be a doctor I'm not sure if I want to spend the traditional amount of time in undergrad. It would be perfect if their was a BS/MD program that also allowed for a PhD Pursuit or tied it in concurrently somehow but I haven't found such a program. All I've found are BS/MD or MD/PhD programs which is unfortunate because I actually wouldn't mind a BS/MS/PhD program if it excited (I'm the lifelong learner type but I want to be able to apply my schooling to the health care force before having done 15 years of school). Also I would need to make a plan to finance either pursuits and any advice on that would be appreciated as well.

Any and all advice would be appreciated especially from those in either the BS/MD or MD/PhD programs currently or who have completed it.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I won't comment on which is the right choice for you, but you should be aware that the Bachelor's --> MD/PhD option is more like 12-14 years in total, not 8-10. Since you're still (apparently) in high school, the timeline shouldn't make a huge difference to you if you do what you want, but you need to at least have a vague idea of what you're getting yourself into.

I had an idea that I might want to do MD/PhD as early as junior year in high school. I went the normal undergrad->MD/PhD route rather than a combined BS/MD route and I wouldn't give up my undergrad experience for the world.

Members don't see this ad :)
you may and likely will change your mind in college, but if you don't, I would encourage you to go to the most prestigious undergrad possible, unless you are taking out massive loans for that vs. free ride for state school. If your parents are covering the cost, IMO it is worth the cost of a top 10 undergrad. The problem with most BS/MD programs (the only exception I can think of is Northwestern) is that they are typically associated with mediocre undergrads, and if you change your mind about med school, MSTP, whatever, it will be much harder to get where you want to go.

Why would you want to do an MD/PhD if you want to do hospital administration? I do not understand. Be careful you're not chasing degrees and titles because they sound cool, it's tempting.

From how it sounds -- a BS/MD if you can get in, do research, pretend you're a "normal" pre-med, and then apply for something else if you think it's a better fit for you. Do research in college so you actually know what it means, that will help.

BS/MDs are bad deals all around IMHO except for Northwestern like was said above. Don't worry about MD vs. MD/PHD yet. Get clinical experience ASAP. Get research experience ASAP. They are very different career pathways and you need to figure out what matters to you and what you really want to do. Visit the physician scientist forum here on SDN and use the search function to learn more about the different pathways and what they expect in an applicant.

do not try to plan every step right out of high school, you will crash and burn. The most important thing is to be self-aware enough to understand what it is you want out of a career.

you may and likely will change your mind in college, but if you don't, I would encourage you to go to the most prestigious undergrad possible, unless you are taking out massive loans for that vs. free ride for state school. If your parents are covering the cost, IMO it is worth the cost of a top 10 undergrad. The problem with most BS/MD programs (the only exception I can think of is Northwestern) is that they are typically associated with mediocre undergrads, and if you change your mind about med school, MSTP, whatever, it will be much harder to get where you want to go.
Maybe Case too? They aren't really well known for their undergraduate schooling though...