Please help! Confused about Anatomy and Physiology Courses with labs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future PT 12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior this year majoring Exercise Science. I plan on applying to PT school, when I graduate... but am really worried about my Anatomy and Physiology courses. My Anatomy and Physiology classes did not include labs. The way my major is set up is you take 1 semester of Anatomy and 1 semester of Physiology. Both of these courses DO NOT include labs. On my transcripts it is going to say "Anatomy in Kinesiology/Health" and "Physiology in Kinesiology and Health."

I am looking at some of the schools I plan on applying to and they all are asking for labs. I am really worried that If I apply to these schools they are going to see that my Anatomy and Physiology course did not include labs, and might not even consider looking at my application further.

I do not want to take other anatomy and physiology courses that include labs.

Has anyone else been in the same situation that I am in? Please help this is really bothering me..... and I am really worried :(

Members don't see this ad.

I went through the same thing with physiology. My school doesn't have a corresponding lab to the class. I contacted the schools I was interested in applying to, and these are the 2 responses I got:

1) Some schools are really understanding and they told me that I would just have to state somewhere on my application that my school did not offer a lab, and the requirement would be waived.

2) Other schools did not want any applicants without the lab experience. So, they told me to take the labs at the community college. More often than not though, you will have to take the lecture along with it.

Look into it and see what they say.

Most of the schools that I have looked at require labs with those courses. It can't hurt to check out all the schools and see if you can find one that doesn't have this requirement, but don't be surprised to find that you will need to take the classes with labs. It wouldn't be the end of the world. Two classes and a career you want versus not taking two classes and choosing another field.

Is there another school in your area where you can take the labs? Or is your university part of a consortium where students can take courses on another campus? That's what I had to do for my A&P and Medical Terminology courses. :)

I'm in the same boat as you regarding a Chem course-- I took Accelerated Chem where I did my undergrad, which is a year's worth of courses consolidated into a semester. Some of the schools said "OK, we're familiar with your school's curriculum so that counts as your year of gen chem", others asked for a syllabus, and others said I needed a second chem course. Chances are it will be a mixed response. I took O-Chem as my second chem semester and it worked out beautifully.

I would also suggest calling the admissions departments to inform them of your situation. That way you know what each of them require and you can plan accordingly.

Good luck!