Please help! How to approach Neuro??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalapple

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Some good advice I got from a rads friend was to try and think in 3-D. There are lots of cool resources online that model in 3-D, so you can get a better idea of where everything runs. I was really intimidated by neuro at the beginning too, and it felt like nothing was making much sense. For me at least, after continually studying, it just started to click. I think some classmates felt the same way. It does take time. Some friends drew pathways over and over. Those "locate the lesion" problems appear to suck, but can actually be helpful. It also helped to look at serial slices so you can see how/if tracts move. Just try to keep it in perspective and I am sure you will do fine. Nolte was by far the most useful text IMO, but look for other supplementary resources/websites. Good luck!

For me, it was just being able to re-draw imaging slices and sketch out where nerves and tracts should be travelling and knowing what they do. That's it really.

There's a youtube series I found helpful. I'll look for it later, I think it's Aziz or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've mentioned this book multiple times already, but "Neuroanatomy through clinical cases" by Hal Blumenfeld is absolutely amazing. Much better written and much more interesting (because of the clinical correlations and cases) than Nolte, IMO. It's a big book though, so if your neuro block is spread out over > 1 month (like ours was), getting through this book is doable.

If you're crunched for time though, I thought the USMLE Road Map Neuroscience book was very good too (thought it seemed slightly skewed toward neuroscience rather than neuroanatomy). And HY Neuro is great as well!

Hope this helps.

Sidman's neuroanatomy is a workbook for neuro, its helped me picture the brain in 3D and has given me tract practice.

I've mentioned this book multiple times already, but "Neuroanatomy through clinical cases" by Hal Blumenfeld is absolutely amazing. Much better written and much more interesting (because of the clinical correlations and cases) than Nolte, IMO. It's a big book though, so if your neuro block is spread out over > 1 month (like ours was), getting through this book is doable.
Hope this helps.

I don't how you guys use review books to study for class exams. Isn't all the material provided in lecture? There is so much to stuff to know in neuro that if you read from a book, it might make you forget what is going to be on test.

Next time after you finish an exam, go through your notes again and cross out what wasn't covered on the exam. You will be amazed at the irrelevant stuff you study.

I don't how you guys use review books to study for class exams. Isn't all the material provided in lecture? There is so much to stuff to know in neuro that if you read from a book, it might make you forget what is going to be on test.

Next time after you finish an exam, go through your notes again and cross out what wasn't covered on the exam. You will be amazed at the irrelevant stuff you study.
The Blumenfeld book isn't a review book. It's a textbook. I generally don't read textbooks, but this was actually very well-written and I enjoyed reading it.

Our lecture notes kind of suck, IMO. Especially for neuro, the notes mostly contained pictures/brainstem slides without much text. Plus, I don't go to class or watch recorded lectures. I generally read the books that come highly recommended on SDN and a few days before the exam, go through lecture notes (if they're decent) or a study guide made by a classmate/someone in a previous year.

This works really well (for me) and the books recommended on SDN have generally been awesome (and definitely much better than pretty much any book that my school has recommended) and are generally aimed at med students so I'm not learning too much "irrelevant" stuff. The benefit of using books to guide my learning rather than lecture notes is that the books are better organized. So, I end up learning the material better and in a more logical manner. Believe me, if my school's courses were better organized and we had detailed course syllabi like some schools have, I would probably be putting more emphasis on lecture material rather than teaching myself out of books.

Last edited:
Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple was a good book, nowhere near as detailed as you need for exam purposes, but I found that reading this book gave me a solid framework that I could build from later on (regarding lesion location, organization, etc.). use it as a primer and you may find that getting the basics down first makes studying the rest easier.

STOP READING NOLTE!!!!

Seriously, you might as well burn it, don't waste another second with it. And ignore anyone who tells you otherwise.

Couldn't agree more. IMO - your lectures are the way to go. Neuro is not something you'll get over night. But it'll happen.

Have you tried High-Yield Neuroanatomy? Extremely light and easy to read.

I thought Thieme Neuro Atlas was a good resource for seeing things from a different perspective from how they're presented in class.

Also, like everyone says, the best way for neuro to make sense it to do your best to picture it in 3-D.

Just curious, is your class neuroanatomy alone, or is it neuro anatomy and physiology together?

What are some good online 3D programs or sites?