Please help me decide what materials I really need!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kef318

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read so many DAT breakdowns, so many study plans and strategies, but am overwhelmed by the amount of study materials that are available. Naturally, I want the best score possible, but want to know what I REALLY need!

Cliff's AP Biology - 3rd edition

DAT Destroyer - does it matter which version?

Math Destroyer

Crack DAT PAT

Crack DAT reading

Chad's videos

Topscore

Bootcamp

Quvault

Ferarri's bio notes

Achiever

Members don't see this ad.

I've read so many DAT breakdowns, so many study plans and strategies, but am overwhelmed by the amount of study materials that are available. Naturally, I want the best score possible, but want to know what I REALLY need!

Cliff's AP Biology - 3rd edition

DAT Destroyer - does it matter which version?

Math Destroyer

Crack DAT PAT

Crack DAT reading

Chad's videos

Topscore

Bootcamp

Quvault

Ferarri's bio notes

Achiever
In my opinion you need all of them to score high. It depends on you budget. How much time are you setting aside for preparation?

That looks like a pretty solid list to me. I used fewer things, though, and was still happy with my score--my breakdown is in the "ultimate collection" link in my signature. It's all in what makes you comfortable.

Members don't see this ad :)
My last final of the semester is April 26th. I'm scheduled to take the DAT on June 25th. That gives me two months to devote to studying. That will be my only job this summer!

Obviously, I want the highest score possible and am willing to spend whatever money it takes. Having said that, however, I don't want to be overwhelmed with too much study material.

Glimmer--why did you choose to use fewer things? I'm just wondering if you felt that it was overkill.

Hey, I took the DAT this morning.
I studied for 3.5 weeks and did decently on it (AA = 21).
I had everything you have written on the list, but if I were to do it again, I would only get:
Crack DAT PAT only
DATQvault (all subjects)
DAT Destroyer (2013)
Chad's Videos

I did not find Achiever to be a good resource. I got ****ed over on every single practice exam, lol. You could perhaps use Math Destroyer, but the real exam was not even close to the difficulty of practice exams on Math Destroyer (thank god).

Cliffs 3rd edition is great. Destrlyuer, Kaplan, Qvault and Feralis you better get newer versions. They add more questions and explanations that were likely seen on recent exams.

Glimmer--why did you choose to use fewer things? I'm just wondering if you felt that it was overkill.

I didn't do any practice tests--I have never found them to be the best usage of my time. Even in school, I only use them if a teacher is known to write tests that are quite similar to those of previous years. That cut down on my resources a lot!

I didn't do any practice tests--I have never found them to be the best usage of my time. Even in school, I only use them if a teacher is known to write tests that are quite similar to those of previous years. That cut down on my resources a lot!

Maybe you didn't but most people should take at least one or two full practice exams. They need to get use to sitting down for such a length of time without getting drained. I believe you even mentioned several times that you didn't even take a timed section exam. You're obviously the exception and not the rule. To suggest for people to follow similar methods is being a bit foolish.

Maybe you didn't but most people should take at least one or two full practice exams. They need to get use to sitting down for such a length of time without getting drained. I believe you even mentioned several times that you didn't even take a timed section exam. You're obviously the exception and not the rule. To suggest for people to follow similar methods is being a bit foolish.

Obviously, to each his own. :) However, I've seen a few others do very well who didn't time themselves or take practice tests. If time is the main issue, by this point in our academic career, we should have all sat through very long exams such as the SAT or ACT. Heck, even in college, some of the finals last 3 hours! I also sort of feel like we should inherently have figured out test-taking strategies and skills by this point--we are a smart bunch of folks. Pace yourself, skip questions you have no clue about or can tell will take a time (which we should be able to realize by now), and time shouldn't be an issue. If it is, timing yourself in practice just doesn't seem like it'll help that much--sure, it might really highlight to yourself that you're wasting time, but you should have already been able to figure that out beforehand! Haha.

If material is the main issue, I just thought it was much more productive to review entire concepts in my study resources, rather than just tackling small tidbits of information in the form of individual questions from practice tests. We all work differently, without a doubt, but I don't think that I am totally different from everyone.

I feel like a lot of SDNers are afraid to step away from the "norm" and not focus so much on practice tests. Sure, taking practice tests may be one "tried and true method," but there are others that work. The mantra of "practice tests, practice tests, practice tests!!" is just really preached on here. That doesn't necessarily mean they're the only good way... but there is simply too small a population of people who don't use them (on SDN) to really make a solid comparison. I wonder if other folks who aren't on SDN use practice tests as much as people do who come to this site for advice. :) Who knows! However, when people ask for personal opinions on what is really needed, I'm going to say what I think is the honest truth. I hope it's pretty clear through my postings and threads that I want others on here to succeed--and that I'm not trying to give bad advice! My grades and DAT score, at least to me, do give some credence to the fact that my study methods aren't "foolish"... and if they work for me, why shouldn't they work for others? :) I don't have an Einstein-level IQ; rather, I'm just really good at preparing for tests and focusing in on what is most important.

Last edited:
Obviously, to each his own. :) However, I've seen a few others do very well who didn't time themselves or take practice tests. If time is the main issue, by this point in our academic career, we should have all sat through very long exams such as the SAT or ACT. Heck, even in college, some of the finals last 3 hours! I also sort of feel like we should inherently have figured out test-taking strategies and skills by this point--we are a smart bunch of folks. Pace yourself, skip questions you have no clue about or can tell will take a time (which we should be able to realize by now), and time shouldn't be an issue. If it is, timing yourself in practice just doesn't seem like it'll help that much--sure, it might really highlight to yourself that you're wasting time, but you should have already been able to figure that out beforehand! Haha.

If material is the main issue, I just thought it was much more productive to review entire concepts in my study resources, rather than just tackling small tidbits of information in the form of individual questions from practice tests. We all work differently, without a doubt, but I don't think that I am totally different from everyone.

I feel like a lot of SDNers are afraid to step away from the "norm" and not focus so much on practice tests. Sure, taking practice tests may be one "tried and true method," but there are others that work. The mantra of "practice tests, practice tests, practice tests!!" is just really preached on here. That doesn't necessarily mean they're the only good way... but there is simply too small a population of people who don't use them (on SDN) to really make a solid comparison. I wonder if other folks who aren't on SDN use practice tests as much as people do who come to this site for advice. :) Who knows! However, when people ask for personal opinions on what is really needed, I'm going to say what I think is the honest truth. I hope it's pretty clear through my postings and threads that I want others on here to succeed--and that I'm not trying to give bad advice! My grades and DAT score, at least to me, do give some credence to the fact that my study methods aren't "foolish"... and if they work for me, why shouldn't they work for others? :) I don't have an Einstein-level IQ; rather, I'm just really good at preparing for tests and focusing in on what is most important.

Exams such as the SAT/ACT were taken more than four years ago for many individuals. I don't personally see how that can be used as a fair comparison. Yes, our test taking skills should be set at this point during our academic career, but this exam is a particular kind of beast. For a lot of people, this exam can be a bit more nerve wracking than a typical 101 biology/physics exam. I've seen peers completely lose it during exams so I guess I'm a bit bias when it comes to this particular topic. I only took two topscore exams and only found one particular useful/enough, but I still stand by my point. If someone buys it and the only thing they realize is how fast the exam really goes, then thats worth the suggestion and price tag. I just can't personally recommend someone to not at least take one QR/RC/PAT exam, let alone one full exam. Half the troubling topics in this part of the SDN is how individuals are disappointed in their QR/RC scores and how they ran out of time. It isn't uncommon to see people with decent scores , wish they took an exam to to work on speed. But as you said, you're entitled to your opinion.

Last edited: