Please Help Me - Five Main Concerns about Entering Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

childofthesacredheart

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN,

I was hoping that you could please help me with an issue that I am facing right now. In June 2013, I applied to fifteen different dental schools and received six interviews. I was so excited and thankful for this opportunity.

Do you have any tips on how to do well in dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No time to reply to everything. Basically, go with what your brother says. If you want to be a dentist, you just go. You'll get whiners at every school, likely bitter enough to put in the effort to whine online. It's not exactly a party at other schools. It's 4 years; it'll fly by and you'll be a dentist. Curriculum? I suppose some of this could have been avoided had you researched before you applied, but I guess you deal with it. Lots of students all over the country have survived PBL. It can' t be so grossly designed that you will learn nothing. They wouldn't have been given the thumbs up to open. As for boards, you will never go back to slides. Everyone uses the same materials...just like people flock to Destroyer, Cliffs, Chad, Crack DAT PAT, etc. I'll tell you this though, I hate the name of that school. Trivial. But it's so...long. But I believe down the road, no one is going to care. Living alone: you'll survive. Bullying and whatever shouldn't happen. It's part of the adventure. Maybe one of your other five schools will come around. If not, I'd pack your bags and go in with a good attitude. I do think it's ridiculous what the dean says about specializing, but it's in your hands. Letters are important. At least they'll work with you there.

You said you're very average and never thought you would ever get accepted into any dental school. Now that you got into just one, what are your other choices? And why do you think you will specialize if you're a 'very average' student? Just go and everything else will take care of itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would choose ECU before LECOM. Facilities are way better, so far all students have gotten full tuition scholarships, there is less faculty sharing with other programs (hence, getting fewer medical school lectures in dental school), and the rotations are better. The only problem is that you have to be an NC student to apply.

Reactions: 1 user
I would choose ECU before LECOM. Facilities are way better, so far all students have gotten full tuition scholarships, there is less faculty sharing with other programs (hence, getting fewer medical school lectures in dental school), and the rotations are better. The only problem is that you have to be an NC student to apply.

Just as a note... the OP MAJORLY edited her original post, so my response isn't as totally out-of-the-blue as it appears to be now. LOL!

Of course, ECU is a WAY better choice... but the OP isn't a NC resident.

Also, I didn't know everyone had gotten a full-tuition scholarship! That's awesome!

Last edited:
Cheer up woman/man. This is like your 2nd posts about having concerns about starting dental school.

We all are feeling the same crap to some degrees with 400k on our shoulders.

The formula to nail the dental school is stick to the schedule and work your butt off. There are always some good folks that will land you a hand. Don't wait until the last min to reach out for help.

Dude it's so obvious you're a Kaplan representative...We can all see your past posts and I vividly recall one thread where I called you out because of the BS you were feeding everyone...

Reactions: 1 users
Just as a note... the OP MAJORLY edited her original post, so my response isn't as totally out-of-the-blue as it appears to be now. LOL!

Of course, ECU is a WAY better choice... but the OP isn't a NC resident.

Also, I didn't know everyone had gotten a full-tuition scholarship! That's awesome!
Lecom students do not take any classes with the med or pharm students like you seem to imply. Also, I have no idea what ECU's facilities are like, but can they really be WAY better than school's that was built 3 years ago?

Lecom students do not take any classes with the med or pharm students like you seem to imply. Also, I have no idea what ECU's facilities are like, but can they really be WAY better than school's that was built 3 years ago?

Hi, beezey! I think you are attributing comments that Veritas_et_Visus said to me. I didn't imply anything about the courses or the facilities at LECOM. :)

ECU is also a brand new school, and I'm sure both schools have very nice facilities. I don't know anything concrete about the courses at LECOM. However, can you really beat a school that has given full-tuition scholarships to all students thus far? IMO, that alone makes ECU the clear winner between the two schools! That's the only thing I was saying/implying in that post.

Hi, beezey! I think you are attributing comments that Veritas_et_Visus said to me. I didn't imply anything about the courses or the facilities at LECOM. :)

ECU is also a brand new school, and I'm sure both schools have very nice facilities. I don't know anything concrete about the courses at LECOM. However, can you really beat a school that has given full-tuition scholarships to all students thus far? IMO, that alone makes ECU the clear winner between the two schools! That's the only thing I was saying/implying in that post.
Yeah I totally quoted the wrong person. Wow though! That's awesome about the scholarships, no one can beat that

Dear SDN,

I was hoping that you could please help me with an issue that I am facing right now. In June 2013, I applied to fifteen different dental schools and received six interviews. I was so excited and thankful for this opportunity.

Hi! How did I
Dear SDN,

Hi! How did I