Please help me!! I need a list of 10 schools to apply to.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dan Dan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a new user on here and I am humbly asking everyone for their advice on which out of state schools to apply to. I am from Dallas, Texas and plan on applying to all my state schools. I need a list of about 8-10 out of state schools. I have no idea of which schools to apply to because of my lower than average GPA. Please take into account my background also. I don't have a preference for location. Cost is not really a priority either. I just need to get accepted. I'm pursuing a Family Practice MD or DO. Please list in ranking of what is best to you. Any explanation as to why any schools are recommended would be gladly welcomed. Thanks to everyone in advance! Info on me...

I work part-time 20 hours a week.
College background:
2 years community college
3.57 overall GPA in Nursing Major
Applied to Nursing school
Got accepted. Left after first semester because it wasn't for me
and I should of believed in myself and went straight for the MD.
2 years at Univ. of Dallas (Biology)
Will graduate in Fall 07' with expected GPA of around 3.4
Total GPA from both schools 3.45 maybe?
Science GPA probably 3.3
MCAT: not taken yet. (June 07')
I am estimating a 26-30 based on Kaplan
Volunteering: Church piano player for 10 years.
Volunteer at a hospital 100 hours plus total.
Shadowed 4 doctors. No research.

Members don't see this ad.

Take your time. You still got like 6-8 months before you'll be applying. Get the MSAR and look through. It does a lot of good. Then, check out the websites of the schools that stand out to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the quick replies. I'm really interested in giving the MD route a shot. If possible, a list of "lower requirement" MD schools that have a regional preference around Texas or a high out of state acceptance rate would be really helpful.

If you don't want to go DO and you're set on allopathic, try looking at Postbacc/SMP (Special Masters) forums too! That is a solid route and a lot of applicants from those programs have had success. It gives you a chance to not only boost your science GPA (postbacc only..SMP's count as a separate GPA) but to demonstrate more RECENT coursework. In your case, I'd suggest a SMP that involves medical school classes, only because it shows them that you didn't drop nursing school because you couldn't handle medical coursework, and because presuming you stick with it, it will show them that you DO have an interest in medicine as opposed to nursing.

I know the time needed to complete these programs (1-2 years) seems like a long time, especially in your mid-twenties, but in my case I viewed a 2 year investment as a drop in the bucket compared to the 30-40 so-odd years of career happiness I'd get as a physician, and the extra 1-2 years of pure agony I'd have with an unsuccessful app cycle.

Good luck!!

Thanks for all the quick replies. I'm really interested in giving the MD route a shot. If possible, a list of "lower requirement" MD schools that have a regional preference around Texas or a high out of state acceptance rate would be really helpful.

In all honesty, you would need to break a 30 on your MCAT to have a decent shot at an allopathic school. Your best shot would be to go DO, but if you are set on an MD then go for it. All I can say is to rock the MCAT and GL.

In all honesty, you would need to break a 30 on your MCAT to have a decent shot at an allopathic school. Your best shot would be to go DO, but if you are set on an MD then go for it. All I can say is to rock the MCAT and GL.
i'm not sure how it is in texas schools but like it was stated, to get a very good chance, you'll need to break 30.
also with that being said, there are some people who get in with 28s or 29s, just don't get a strange distribution like 6,9,13

With a 30, a good PS & LORs, it will be hard for you not to get into medical school (MD) unless you are socially inept. Keep in mind though that the application process is a "crapshoot" (it really is to a certain degree) and that applying to 10 schools will probably not be enough.

Also, with your stats, applying early and late will actually make a predictable difference on your outcome. Submit your primary anytime after August/Sept. and I can honestly say your chances will be significantly decreased.

Remember to apply early and broadly. It really does matter.

hey OP, you are a tx resident which means this 30 mcat stuff is nonsense... honestly, texans are lucky cuz we can get into med school with below average stats... however your gpa is kinda low... this is what i would do if i were you. take the mcat and see how you do. if you get a 30 or above, apply only in tx and you will get in. dont even bother applying out of state cuz its not worth it. it will be more difficult to get in out of state and if you want to do family practice, then just stay in tx. however, if you get closer to a 26, i would recommend that you start doing research or working at whatever med school it is that you want to go to in tx. make some connections there, be nice to everyone, retake the mcat and try to get like a 28 or higher... if you can do that then you can probably get into that med school. PM me if you have any other ?s

You need to do better than that GPA...especially since a 3.57 from community college is really NOT what you want. So the only 4 year college grades you have are going to matter even more, and since they're not so hot...you're in trouble.

If you want to go Allopathic, you NEED to bring up that GPA, and you NEED to get over a 30 on the MCAT.

So if you really believe in yourself, bring those grades up!!!

You need to do better than that GPA...especially since a 3.57 from community college is really NOT what you want. So the only 4 year college grades you have are going to matter even more, and since they're not so hot...you're in trouble.

If you want to go Allopathic, you NEED to bring up that GPA, and you NEED to get over a 30 on the MCAT.

So if you really believe in yourself, bring those grades up!!!

I have to concur...that gpa from a community college will not be respected...unless you break 30 your chances at MD are slim....you have a decent chance at DO schools...