Please help me narrow down my dental schools list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member 8586

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help me narrow down my list - I think I want to apply to about 20 schools

Background info:
NJ resident
Undergrad GPA - 3.1 with a general uptrend
Post-Bacc Masters in Biomedical Science from UMDNJ - 3.3
DAT - Bio22/GC24/OC29/TS24/PAT20/RC22/QR23/AA24

UMDNJ
Boston
Tufts
Temple
Howard
Columbia
Lecom
Creighton
West Virginia
NYU
Midwestern AZ
Midwestern IL
University of Pittsburgh
Case Western
University of Kentucky
University of Louisville
University of Maryland
Roseman/University of Southern Nevada
Loma Linda
Detroit Mercy

MAYBE
UConn
University of Colorado
University of Tennessee
Marquette
Nova Southeastern
Oregon Health Science
University of Minnesota
University of Michigan
University of Nevada
University of Oklahoma
University of Missouri-KC

Any schools to remove from the first list? Am I missing any that I should add in possibly from the Maybes list or unlisted ones?

I know many will say remove Howard unless URM but I know some non URMs that attend there so I think Ill just apply (I'm Asian-Indian)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your a great candidate this year! But my advice to you is to get rid of University of Kentucky (not OOS friendly; few seats), West Virginia (not OOS friends; few seats), Loma Linda (go online look at their stats for this past year 70% SDA, 1 bloody Asian the rumors are true) and Howard (having a masters and high DAT they will probably not take your application seriously to their school). I would then add from the maybe list: Marquette (they take 50% out of state), nova (they value graduate students and high DAT's), Minnesota (good chunk out of state), Michigan, and UNLV (like high DAT out-staters). Add UOP (they drool over high DAT and older folks). This is all from my own personal studies, experience, and opinions.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is far to low for UConn to consider you as an OOS.

I think your a great candidate this year! But my advice to you is to get rid of University of Kentucky (not OOS friendly; few seats), West Virginia (not OOS friends; few seats), Loma Linda (go online look at their stats for this past year 70% SDA, 1 bloody Asian the rumors are true) and Howard (having a masters and high DAT they will probably not take your application seriously to their school). I would then add from the maybe list: Marquette (they take 50% out of state), nova (they value graduate students and high DAT's), Minnesota (good chunk out of state), Michigan, and UNLV (like high DAT out-staters). Add UOP (they drool over high DAT and older folks). This is all from my own personal studies, experience, and opinions.

thank you for your input..im glad some of my further research agrees with a lot of what you said

from my maybes, list i decided to add Marquette and University of Nevada, and was thinking about Minnesota and Michigan but wanted to verify their OOS numbers, but no answer when I tried calling.
I removed Loma Linda because of their religous preference and I saw they require a letter from a spiritual leader (yea..dont have that) and removed Uconn because they only take 10-15% not from CT or New England area, and removed University of Missouri-KC because they take only 5-8 students not from Missouri and states like Kansas, Hawaii, and some other states without dental schools.

Nova, I was hesitant because on their website, they said they pretty much require a 3.25 GPA or higher and Im afraid mine will be very borderline or under depending on how AASDAS calculates my GPA with undergrad/masters

UoP - I heard they take big preference on volunteer work which I may have only 100 hours max so Im not sure if this is enough. Also, I noticed only 15% OOS?
EDIT-just called and the woman said they typically have 40-50/143 students OOS. But HOLY **** to their 86k/yr pricetag that's WITHOUT living expenses and other fees!

Kentucky - PreDDS has them at 30% OOS which was borderline for me..but do they have any agreements with other states or surrounding states for that 30%?

West Virginia - I saw 17% according to their numbers on their site for OOS; woman on phone told me 20-40% but class size is only 52 so might be removing this one

Last edited:
Dude deff apply to UOP (they dig high DAT): you will be done in 3 years its deff worth the cash. Trust me on Kentucky---there one of those schools that has some agreements with neighboring states. But extra schools never hurts! Best of luck. Check out Predents.com to when you get a chance.

Dude deff apply to UOP (they dig high DAT): you will be done in 3 years its deff worth the cash. Trust me on Kentucky---there one of those schools that has some agreements with neighboring states. But extra schools never hurts! Best of luck. Check out Predents.com to when you get a chance.

ohhI forgot UoP is 3 years, so I guess that helps justify the tuition A BIT lol...any word on how much tougher the course load is?

and yeah its looking like Kentucky is probably out

do you have any input on U of Colorado, Tennessee, Oklahoma, or Oregon Health Science?

Nova - have you heard anything about their 3.25 cutoff?

do you have any input on U of Colorado, Tennessee, Oklahoma, or Oregon Health Science?

All those are not out of state friendly. Don't bother applying.

Loma Linda (go online look at their stats for this past year 70% SDA, 1 bloody Asian the rumors are true)

Loma Linda actually takes a ton of Asians. Not sure where you got the 1 Asian rumor.

Last edited: