please help me narrow down my list of schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

korndoctor

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi folks. if you guys can help me narrow down my list of schools, i will thank you. I really have no preference, just want to go to a dental school, i will be willing to go anywhere. I have 3.4 in hard major (computer engineering) and 19 AA DAT with 20 PAT. I have MA residence, so delete schools that u think i wont have a shot at or add schools that should be on my list.

University California San Francisco
University Cali LA
University of Nevada
Boston University
Tufts University
Arizona Dental school
Midwestern University
Western University
University of the Pacific
University of Southern California
University of Connecticut
Marquette University
Nova Southeastern University
University of Maryland
Creighton University
Michigan University
New Jersey Dental School
Columbia University
Howard University
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
University of Louisville
Temple University
Meharry Medical College
Virginia Commonwealth University
New York University
University at Buffalo
Case Western Reserve University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Boston University
Tufts University
New York University
Temple University
University of Southern California
University of Louisville
Western University
Midwestern University
Indiana University
Marquette University
Creighton University

Here is a slimmed down list. I made a few assumptions: that you're not a URM, and you don't have hundreds of hours of community service. Also, since you don't care which school you're going to, these are the 12 schools where you would have the best chance at getting in. Good luck!

okay thanks a lot. yes i am not urm. i am a chinese asain descent. just assume i am the average applicant.

my concern with University of Louisville and Indiana is after checking ADEA guide, they take very few out of staters and i originate and reside in MA. Should i cross those two off?

Also i heard cali schools are impossible to get into if i am from MA. u think i should still keep USC and western? and cross out uni of pacific?

Members don't see this ad :)
okay thanks a lot. yes i am not urm. i am a chinese asain descent. just assume i am the average applicant.

my concern with University of Louisville and Indiana is after checking ADEA guide, they take very few out of staters and i originate and reside in MA. Should i cross those two off?

Also i heard cali schools are impossible to get into if i am from MA. u think i should still keep USC and western? and cross out uni of pacific?

The UC's are hard to get into because they are public schools.

what about nova? maryland? or UMDNJ?

western is new school, anyone know about the stats of incomming class? is it advisable to apply there from MA? or would i have better chances of applying to howard/meharry? i am not a URM

The stats of Western's incoming classes have been slightly low in part due to a small applicant pool. Predents are catching on though and the applicant pool for Western should be bigger this year.

With your stats and being asian, forget about Penn and Columbia. You will get into NYU, especially if you show interest to them. Also i bet temple,and at least one of the Boston private schools. I would say you are in good shape to get a few expeptances.

how come forget upenn and columbia? should i put harvard down instead since its a boston private school?

what do you guys propose as my final list of dental schools?

University of Nevada (maybe take off list In state to out of state = 52/25)
Boston University
Tufts University
Midwestern University
Western University
University of the Pacific
University of Southern California (in state to out of state 100/44, maybe remove from list)
Marquette University
Nova Southeastern University
University of Maryland (if you wanted to live in maryland then go for it)
Creighton University
New Jersey Dental School
Columbia University (if minority keep)
Howard University (if minority keep)
Meharry Medical College(if minority keep)
University of Pittsburgh
University of Louisville (if you want to apply here then keep)
Temple University
New York University
University at Buffalo

Kind of depends on where you are a resident. I am assuming that you are NOT a Cali resident (if this is false then add back in UCLA, UCSF). If arizona resident than add back ASDOH. If michigan resident then keep that school on your list, otherwise it seems the out of state to in state is lopsided. All the schools in the black I would definatly apply to and the others you might want to consider before applying. You might want to modify the list a litte by taking a few schools out but I would apply to around 12-16 schools. Alot of the specifics of the list depend on minority and state residency. Just my advice! Best of luck to you!

i'm a chinese asain and live in massachusetts. does that help?

how come forget upenn and columbia? should i put harvard down instead since its a boston private school?

Your odds are not great unless you want to retake the DATs

avg AA for Harvard is like 22.5+
Columbia is 22+
and UPenn is like 21

Members don't see this ad :)
Your odds are not great unless you want to retake the DATs

avg AA for Harvard is like 22.5+
Columbia is 22+
and UPenn is like 21

so whats the final list of schools u suggest i apply to in order to maximize my chances of getting in somewhere

If I were you I would also consider applying to SUNY Buff. They take a lot of out of staters.

plus the cost is low (if that is a concern).

If I were you I would also consider applying to SUNY Buff. They take a lot of out of staters.

plus the cost is low (if that is a concern).

thanks! what about UMDNJ or U of Maryland? or U of pittsburgh, would my chances be good at these schools?

i have done the gateway to dentistry program at UMDNJ 3 years ago but i will be considered out of state there since i live in MA

how come rochester have no dental school?

What do you mean, Louisville takes plenty of out-of-staters, and they are also adding 40 more seats. Indiana takes plenty of out-of-staters too.. Indiana will take anyone they can get :laugh:

You don't have the stats for UC's (GPA/DAT way low), Pacific (DAT way low), Penn(GPA/DAT way low), Columbia (DAT way low), Harvard (GPA/DAT way low), UMDNJ out-of-state, Buffalo (GPA low), Nova (GPA low)... Apply to whatever schools you want, you asked for what schools you had the best chance at and said you didn't care where you went, and you asked us to remove schools you didn't have much chance at, so the list was based on that. My prior list stands.

If you wanted a couple more schools you could add Pitt and Maryland, if you are so inclined.. you are borderline there.

Thanks for your help.
So do you suggest I add on Louisville and Indiana? and not michigan?

My DAT is off by a point or 2 at most comparing to the average...that makes a big difference?

i have done the gateway to dentistry program at UMDNJ 3 years ago but i will be considered out of state there since i live in MA. is it still worth it to apply here?

which is harder to get into: Pacific or Nova?

Thanks for your help.
So do you suggest I add on Louisville and Indiana? and not michigan?

My DAT is off by a point or 2 at most comparing to the average...that makes a big difference?

Yes. Taking your average-to-slightly-low GPA into consideration, it might be possible to get in places if you are 1 point below the DAT average, near impossible if you are 2 points below. If you had a 4.0, than that would be a different story, but generally if you are lower on DAT, you make up for it with high GPA, and if you are lower on GPA, you make up for it with high DAT. This doesn't apply in this situation becayse you have very average stats, the average matriculant has had 3.5 GPA and 19 DAT. The average matriculant gets into average schools, meaning private schools with very large class sizes. Assuming non-URM, the average applicant does not get into top-tier schools (and I don't mean top-tier as in better schools, I mean top-tier as in more competitive to get in). You don't need to worry though, your scores match that of an average matriculant, meaning that you'll most likely get in somewhere, that somewhere not being UoP or Columbia or the like.

which is harder to get into: Pacific or Nova?

It depends on the situation and depends on the applicant. For you, Pacific would be harder to get into, you are 2 points below their DAT average, whereas you are 0.2 below in GPA for Nova.

Just remember to make sure you have the required courses for those schools. Ie. Indiana and Michigan require a psychology course.

i'm a chinese asain. so i dont believe i will be URM
i should still apply to howard and meharry to boost chances of acceptance?

Someone mentioned if you was a minority to apply to Columbia. Is Columbia prone to accept more minority students?

Are his DAT scores decent enough for average schools? Or are they still borderline for any school?

i'm a chinese asain and live in massachusetts. does that help?

If that is the case then focus on ALL schools in your state, BU and Tufts are a must! I would also apply to Meharry and Howard for sure. Keep Western and get rid of almost all other Cali schools, unless there is one that you really want to apply to. Maryland and Louisville are your call.

Best of luck tou you!!

Someone mentioned if you was a minority to apply to Columbia. Is Columbia prone to accept more minority students?

I am honestly not 100% sure about Columbia and minority status, that is why in my last post I said as a minority he should apply to Howard and Meharry for sure, because I am pretty sure that these schools do favor minorities heavily (esp Meharry), but I left out Columbia. I am NOT a minority and therefore I payed very little attention to which schools favor minorities, I only avoided Howard and Meharry due to their high minority acceptance rates. Long story short, if you want to know about Columbia and their acceptance of minorities you should check into it yourself. Sorry if I gave you guys the wrong advice.