PLEASE HELP ME. PLEASE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raptor

Found one
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a soon-to-be junior and I will be applying in two years. Hopefully (if I can make a good grade in Organic :( ), before I apply to med school I should have around a 3.5> GPA. I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I have good life experience (cross-culturally), good EC's, research experience, befriended my research professor(hopefully a good LOR), and done medical volunteering, I am a URM, been working at the hospital since I started college to help my mom and sister, and hopefully planning on getting my Medical Laboratory Technician license. Well, my question is if I don't get into any med school :mad: (hopefully at least one) and enter a really good post-bacc program, is it possible to go to any top-gun school (eg. JHU, UCLA, PENN et cetera). Hoping I do fine on the MCAT. I know that those schools look favorablly to ivy leaguers with those stats, then a state school (chose it b/c its closer to home) in a small state. It was always my dream to go to those schools, will I increase my chances by (even with a good undergrad GPA and MCAT) going the post-bacc (a good one) route. I know that you all say it doesn't matter which med school you matriculate into, an M.D. is a M.D (although I will be happy with any acceptance). But it has always been my dream to go to a top-gun school. Please gave me any good advice and if you know anyone that did this, plese help me. I appreciate the input.

Members don't see this ad.

Sooo...You're asking if 2 years from now you don't get into med school if you should go post-bach and then if you can get into a top-10 school??? Have you lost your mind? Because it sounds like it.

Look, for now, just keep doing what you're doing (you sound like you're on your way to being a VERY solid applicant). When the time comes, study for the MCAT, take the MCAT, then apply. Apply to a good range of schools (not ONLY top-10).

I haven't lost my mind yet,I am saving that until I start applying two years from now. Sorry my topic was unclear. What I was implying was can someone get into a top ten school if they have a really superb post-bacc GPA and a ok undergrad GPA. In addition to,good LOR, PS, MCAT, and EC. Thanks for the advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
From the title of the thread, I expected something a little more drastic than this. But anyway...

Yes, anything and everything is possible. I STRONGLY advise you to stop thinking about every permutation that your application can take until you have MCAT scores and a final (or near final) GPA. Anything beyond that is pure speculation and you'll drive yourself crazy trying to make sense out of all the scenarios. What if you rock the MCAT with a 38? A 3.5 with a 38 is fine for almost every school. What if you get a 22? Then a 4.0 won't do you ANY good whatsoever for even top 50 schools. It's like trying to solve a single equation with two variables...

Go study.

Thanks for the advice rxfudd. I guess I do worry about all the permutations that MAY happen. Its just I been in the background of SDN for a while and notice the alarming rates of applicants rejected with high GPA, MCAT scores :( . This whole med school process is just a crapshot.
P.S.-Sorry for the misleading thread title, I was running out the door, and just typed anything (I know its not that serious).

If you finish your pre-med reqs, I don't see why you need to do a post bach. You can go ahead and apply to a variety of schools, but a GPA above a 3.5 and MCAT above a 30 are above the cuttoffs for most if not all of the top five med schools for URMs. I do know of one student who is a URM and accepted to Hopkins and several other top schools with a 3.4 and 30 MCAT with no particularly special ECs.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Premeditate:
•I haven't lost my mind yet,I am saving that until I start applying two years from now. Sorry my topic was unclear. What I was implying was can someone get into a top ten school if they have a really superb post-bacc GPA and a ok undergrad GPA. In addition to,good LOR, PS, MCAT, and EC. Thanks for the advice.•••••The answer is YES.

Have a nice day :)

Thank you all for the advice. Olanzapine, you really calmed my nerves down. You all need to get accepted into medical school (if not in alreadu) b/c you all show such altruistism toward each other. I am new around here and since I registered, there had been a lot of warm advice. Thank goodness that myth is not true about all premed being cut throat.