PLEASE HELP!! Need immediate advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calbear0959

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! My 1st attempt at the MCAT is scheduled for August 21st. I am currently in TBR prep course and we're not yet finished with content but I decided to take the AAMC #3 to "gauge" where I am. Well, I did horrible (7/8/8). I have been reading each chapter thoroughly doing 1/3rd of passages and I do always seem to miss 2-3 per passage. I bought the EK 1001 series and have been doing EVERY problem (not 1/3rd) for the chapters I feel I don't understand as well. I understand that this is my 1st practice test and it may get better but I'm wondering if I should delay by a month and sign up for a September date? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

hmm, you are still in class and still doing content review and are a month away from your test date. When were you planning on doing all the practice exams?? I think you need to reschedule, you need a month after you have finished content review to take exams.

I had planned to do the practice exams while we were still finishing content review. Bio lessons finish 7/24, GChem lessons finish 8/8, and Physics lessons end 8/4. Thx for responding btw.

Well, keep taking practice exams and do heavy analysis afterwards, if you aren't doing well, reschedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO you should delay, if you can, so that you have time to take all of the practice exams after your content review. If you are not going to delay then just try to fit as many practice exams in as you can before your test date and after/near the end of content review and be sure to go over every question very carefully and find your weaknesses. Do a little extra content review on any subject you find that you are extremely weak on.

How did you do in the basic science courses? As I have been studying for the MCAT, I've found that the hundreds of hours I spent mastering the topics in general chemistry and physics while taking those classes was perhaps the most important preparation of all.

Just do practice and do every AAMC.

Thanks for the responses! @Styrene I had A's in the second half of all the prereqs but regular B's in the first halves. You may be right in implying that perhaps I don't have as much of a handle on the basics as I should.. I have been doing Ek1001 for the G chem and Physics sections I feel particularly weak on. @GodComplex I did end up delaying to September 10th. This will give me more time after finishing content to do practice tests. Out of curiosity, when either of you read TBR chapters do you simultaneously take notes? I read the chapters and do passages and consistently get 2/3 wrong. I think it's because I'm not grasping the concepts so I've started taking notes while reading and making chapter outlines.