Please help on school list..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takmg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
I know people are tired of seeing this kind of threads but I felt like I could be in different situation compared to most other applicants. I would appreciate if you guys can help me with the school list. Please enlighten me.

Here is my profile:

Asian descent
FL Resident but might be able to change to NY resident due to my work.
400 total shadowing in general, endo, and perio
My overall gpa is only 3.25, science even lower 3.1 in mediocre state university.
My overall DAT score is 20
Had undergraduate research experience for about 3 years. Nothing published.
After graduation, I have been working as a lab technician at a quite renowned lab in genetics for two year and has two papers under my name.
I have some disadvantaged financial and health related background. In short, my family had a serious financial struggle. Serious struggle where we had to relocate multiple times. I have been working almost fulltime since 12 year old and was also tested with ADD but chose not to receive extended time on DAT or any exam in college. A family member was also critically ill and I had to withdraw an entire semester to help and etc. I am sure there could be people who have more problems in their life but I decided to make clear statement about it.

As you can see, I have a very very bad stats and even applying very late. Only positive thing I could draw from my application was 2 years of research work and disadvantaged status. I also just received my green card a few months ago.

EDIT:
Here are the list of schools I have for now.
Can you guys give me some opinions on this list relative to my profile? Any school I should avoid or add? I'd appreciate for any advice.

Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health (AZ)
University of Southern California Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry (USC)
University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry (UOP)
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine School of Dental Medicine (LECOM-FL)
Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine (NSU)
University of Florida College of Dentistry (FLA)
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Illinois (MWU-IL)
Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine (SIU)
Boston University Henry M Goldman School of Dental Medicine (BU)
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (TUF)
University of Maryland School of Dentistry (MYD)
University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry (UDM)
Missouri School of Dentistry & Oral Health (MOSDOH)
Creighton University School of Dentistry (CRE)
Columbia University College of Dental Medicine (CUL)
New York University College of Dentistry (NYU)
Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine (SUSB)
University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine (BUF)
Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine (CASE)
The Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry, Temple University (TEMP)
University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine (PENN)
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry (VCU)
Marquette University School of Dentistry (MQT)

I really want to make something happen in this cycle. I am thinking about applying about 20 schools. I personally believe I can make strong argument on my research background, and disadvantaged status. I would appreciate any word of advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you have a chance. Depends how you did on the other sections of the DAT (ie. Getting 20s across the board is different than 16s and some 21s). Apply broadly and apply NOW!

I got 20 plus on most sections but 16 on reading.
Is there any school you want to suggest considering my background? (Schools that place special emphasis on disadvantaged status or research background?) Im looking to apply as many as 20.

Members don't see this ad :)
doesn't look as abysmal as you make it sound to be. Just apply broadly I guess and hope for the best.
Your got LORs and PS ready? At this point in app cycle, LOR would be the biggest thing that will set you back if you don't already have them ready because professors can take pretty long sometimes.
Anyone 20 across the board with only one 16 score isn't too bad either.

Thanks for the words. I am actually done with everything except one LOR from my science teacher. Hopefully, that will be submitted before it is processed.

Here are the list of schools I have for now. As I said on description, I think I can count as both FL and NY resident but might have to choose one. I emailed FL and NY schools earlier this week but I am just assuming I can be both at this moment.
Can you guys give me some opinions on this list relative to my profile? Any school I should avoid or add? I'd appreciate for any advice.

University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry (UOP)
Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine (SIU)
Columbia University College of Dental Medicine (CUL)
Marquette University School of Dentistry (MQT)

I got 20 plus on most sections but 16 on reading.
Is there any school you want to suggest considering my background? (Schools that place special emphasis on disadvantaged status or research background?) Im looking to apply as many as 20.

Im also from an Asian decent. I too also struggle with language.

I dont want you have a false sense of security, so dont take this the wrong way.

Schools do NOT compensate for lower RC because English as a Second Language. Heard this straight from an Adcom from a school I interview at.

Your RC mightve (but unlikely since most schools have cutoffs) been fine if you had higher TS and GPA to compensate but you dont. You are riding that cutoff pretty close.

But DAT retake is out of the question now, so you gotta roll with what you have. Apply really broadly and hope for the best. Good luck.

Im also from an Asian decent. I too also struggle with language.

I dont want you have a false sense of security, so dont take this the wrong way.

Schools do NOT compensate for lower RC because English as a Second Language. Heard this straight from an Adcom from a school I interview at.

Your RC mightve (but unlikely since most schools have cutoffs) been fine if you had higher TS and GPA to compensate but you dont. You are riding that cutoff pretty close.

But DAT retake is out of the question now, so you gotta roll with what you have. Apply really broadly and hope for the best. Good luck.

Yes, I am sure they dont care about my English being second language and I don't expect them to look at this score in different eyes compared to other applicant's. I hope I could have done better but I guess its too late at this point as you said.

I am sorry if I was unclear on my second post above but I was not really referring to my reading score. I was wondering if they are specific schools I should target for or avoid considering my stats and overall profile. That will include my low or mediocre GPA, DAT to being relatively strong on research and also having some disadvantaged status. Can you guys give me some opinions on my school list that I posted above? Any suggestions are really appreciated.

Last edited:
Columbia and UoP are probably the schools I would take out. Your DAT and GPA probably wouldnt even make it past the screening.

These are the schools that are notorious for high DATs specifically.

I'd be careful with Creighton. It's a Jesuit school and may or may not have a religious orientation

I need to narrow down my list more... Maybe by 3 schools... Can someone give me some more suggestions! Having dillema for days.. :hungover::hungover::hungover: I actaully ended up adding michigan instead of narrowing it down..

FL/NY resident

Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Arizona (MWU)
University of Michigan School of Dentistry (MICH)
Marquette University School of Dentistry (MQT) <- my dentist's school

Last edited:
If you took any pre-reqs at a community college I would get rid of/ call Tufts or BU before applying there. Also, Midwestern looks a lot at volunteering (from what I hear), so if you have less than 300 hours of volunteer work I would remove them as well. Also, maybe remove PENN, unless it is a dream school or you really want to specialize.