Please Help, Respond! Newbie here!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Batmaan21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all - new to the forum - so here's my deal:

Had a rough undergrad career due to health issues - ended up with a 3.25 overall, 3.0 BCPM from University of Pennsylvania - 1st MCAT, got a 29S (9 Physics, 10, 10). Applied, got nothing - went to Drexel IMS last year, did pretty well - 2 interviews - waitlisted - rejected

So this past august, took the MCAT again - I left thinking I messed up, thinking I didn't improve my app, so I thought I wasn't going to apply - I ended up getting a 32P (10, 11, 11) - which I was happy about - anyway, so I sent in Amcas, recs, secondaries, etc...finished at every school (16 total) by december 14th - I know I'm late in the process, obviously - but I was going to be relatively late anyway b/c i took the aguust mcat - am i in really bad shape b/c I applied late? part of me thinks im ok, b/c alot of schools probably still wanted to see my post bacc grades at mid year....speaking of which, as for this year, I"m working in a research lab, and taking more post bacc courses (took 2 400 level courses at penn - got an A in both = 4.0)....

what do you guys think? think i'll finally get in somewhere? think i'll get some interviews? God, I hope so :)

Members don't see this ad.

Batmaan21 said:

Had a rough undergrad career due to health issues - ended up with a 3.25 overall, 3.0 BCPM from University of Pennsylvania - 1st MCAT, got a 29S (9 Physics, 10, 10). Applied, got nothing - went to Drexel IMS last year, did pretty well - 2 interviews - waitlisted - rejected

So this past august, took the MCAT again - I left thinking I messed up, thinking I didn't improve my app, so I thought I wasn't going to apply - I ended up getting a 32P (10, 11, 11) - which I was happy about - anyway, so I sent in Amcas, recs, secondaries, etc...finished at every school (16 total) by december 14th - I know I'm late in the process, obviously - but I was going to be relatively late anyway b/c i took the aguust mcat - am i in really bad shape b/c I applied late? part of me thinks im ok, b/c alot of schools probably still wanted to see my post bacc grades at mid year....speaking of which, as for this year, I"m working in a research lab, and taking more post bacc courses (took 2 400 level courses at penn - got an A in both = 4.0)....

what do you guys think? think i'll finally get in somewhere? think i'll get some interviews? God, I hope so :)

sounds like you should - if you've shown the desire and maturity to do what you gotta do - they'll see that and you'll get in. -- and it looks like you're doing it right so you should not worry.

Batmaan21 said:

Your stats are now pretty competitive, but you got in awfully late in the process. Even when you take the August MCAT it's usually a good idea to have AMCAS and other things rolling in the summer well before the test so that you get complete in the fall. But all you can do is wait, think positively, and cross your fingers at this point. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are in a pretty good shape. It seems obvious that you do well (proved through your MCAT and post-bacc classes) when you are 100% healthy.

Hopefully you will get interviews this year and if so, make sure they clearly understand what i just said.

batmaan21? nice screen name. now i have to change all of my passwords. ;)

thanks guys for your responses - although i'm not really sure what to think - some seem positive, another seems less positive - i do agree that i was late - but i wonder, considering that sending my midyear grades will help me, is it really that big a disadvantage that i was complete dec. 15th instead of nov. 15th? thanks.......

Batmaan21 said:
is it really that big a disadvantage that i was complete dec. 15th instead of nov. 15th? thanks.......
yes, a huge disadvantage. if you don't get in this time, apply in june. good luck to you!

anon-y-mouse said:
yes, a huge disadvantage. if you don't get in this time, apply in june. good luck to you!

really?? those 30 days are that big? weren't they going to wait anyway though to see my fall semester grades?

anybody still up? lol...

anybody, any more comments?

Batmaan21 said:
really?? those 30 days are that big? weren't they going to wait anyway though to see my fall semester grades?

In a rolling process, the earlier you can get complete, the more seats are still out there to be had. Schools may wait to see your MCAT score, but won't generally wait for the fall semester grades of application year before inviting for an interview. And even with the August MCAT, some places do certain preliminary reviews of candidates otherwise complete before the August MCAT scores are in, streamlining the subsequent timing in terms of whether you get an interview. Thus we are talking about a two month timing difference, not one month. Then when you figure that most places have a couple of interview days per week, that's a lot of potential interviews you didn't have a shot at.
That being said, you still have a good chance, and should continue to proceed positively and optimistically. I know many late applicants who weren't burned by lateness. The interview season is a long one. Relax.

Batmaan21 said:
anybody, any more comments?

I'd guess you'll start hearing about interviews soon... I know someone who was complete mid-Nov and heard from 4 schools in mid-Dec, and one more just yesterday. So if your stuff was a month later, I'd say your files would be coming up soon.

Good luck!

Batmaan21 said:
It's not really 30 days, it's more like 90; most competitive people like to have their app in by Sept 30. I thought mine was late at the beginning of Sept when I took the Aug MCAT. Obviously they had to wait until my scores were out but at least my part was done. My interviews were late due to the late application and scores. A later application will make it even later. I believe you will get interviews and acceptances; they will just take longer and will stress you out more. All the best...

Members don't see this ad :)
Batmaan21 said:
well don't certain schools like NYU stop interviewing in early dec? so it might be a disadvantage if you look at it that way. regardless, i think you app looks great. good luck!

getting in your files early is key, i had an acceptance by late october, but i did get interview offers late in the cycle. it's great that you've pulled up your stats though. best of luck.

oldman said:
getting in your files early is key, i had an acceptance by late october, but i did get interview offers late in the cycle. it's great that you've pulled up your stats though. best of luck.

I guess I am screwed :(......

still sitting here waiting.....no news yet.... :(

Batmaan21 said:
I guess I am screwed :(......

still sitting here waiting.....no news yet.... :(

any words of wisdom at all? or should i stikc a fork in me, as i may indeedf be "cooked" :( ala kramer - lol....

on one note, i did search last years posts - some schools interview throughapril...

I had a friend who applied on the very last day of applications, both for AMCAS and secondaries. She got several acceptances and is now finishing M1.

The key is to apply broadly and convey sincerity for medicine.

Hope you'll get streams of invites soon.

happydays said:
I had a friend who applied on the very last day of applications, both for AMCAS and secondaries. She got several acceptances and is now finishing M1.

The key is to apply broadly and convey sincerity for medicine.

Hope you'll get streams of invites soon.

i did indeed apply broadly...

question though, did she have ridiculous stats?

I don't know if this is gonna help you but I am a late applicant who sits just barely above the matriculant average for both MCAT and GPA on the MSAR. Seriously I didn't even bother to submit a few secondaries until the first week of december...I've got multiple acceptances all to state schools in the midwest...I think if you applied to the standard Albany, SLU, MCW, RFU, NYMC, Drexel back-ups...etc. you might be alright...I've withdrawn from these schools because I haven't heard a word and I honestly would choose to go to any of the state schools before the expensive lower tier privates...regardless I just wanted to tell you if those are the kind of schools you are waiting on you aren't the only one, they are notoriously slow but also tend to accept a bucket load of applicants (and interview until late in the cycle) compared to other schools to fill their slots...keep your head up the game isn't over yet for a acceptance somewhere...

Batmaan21 said:
i did indeed apply broadly...

question though, did she have ridiculous stats?

No, her scores are about average at a non-research-intensive school, but she'll be a doctor, and she only had to go through this once.

No, her scores are about average at a non-research-intensive school, but she'll be a doctor, and she only had to go through this once.

happydays said:

still nothing....at all....and when i called my two state schools today, two results:
NJMS: we reviewed your file - we aren't in\viting you for an interview as of right now, but we will re-screen your file at a later point
RWJMS: you should hear from us by.....end of the week (that mean a rejection letter was sent??)

Gosh, I"m getting so depressed......

Batmaan21 said:
still nothing....at all....and when i called my two state schools today, two results:
NJMS: we reviewed your file - we aren't in\viting you for an interview as of right now, but we will re-screen your file at a later point
RWJMS: you should hear from us by.....end of the week (that mean a rejection letter was sent??)

Gosh, I"m getting so depressed......

I can't believe i'm going to have to do this for a third year next year - and gosh, every year it takes an amoutn of money out of me i can barely afford

Batmaan21 said:
I can't believe i'm going to have to do this for a third year next year - and gosh, every year it takes an amoutn of money out of me i can barely afford

Hi Batmaan... I hope my story helps a bit... I went to Rutgers for ugrad (and so I applied to RWJMS but not NJMS last year) and now I'm at Penn Med.... when did I submit my AMCAs you ask? October 15th.. when was my last secondary submitted? Jan 1st (GW and Georgetown).. every secondary was pretty much submitted on the deadline so I am a model of late applications... I still got 7 interviews out of 14 applications submitted... I think its less of a problem of interviews and more of a problem with waitlists vs. acceptances.. The only schools I got into right away were RWJMS and Penn (which is non-rolling and therefore when you interviewed doesn't matter) and everywhere else I interviewed I got waitlisted... however, I got into NYU in May off the waitlist and the rest I withdrew from (BU, Dartmouth, Georgetown, AECOM I withdrew my interview... (it was post penn acceptance) and even if I hadn't gotten in anywhere, with that many waitlists, its probable although not definite, I would have gotten in somewhere. My first interview was in January and my last in March so keep your spirits up... oh yea, and my MCAT was a 30... but I had a high GPA albeit from a state school...

Batmaan21 said:

What classes did you take at Penn (post-bacc I mean)?

riceman04 said:
What classes did you take at Penn (post-bacc I mean)?

well.....keeps getting worse....

NJMS (state school) - we won't interview you at this point - maybe in the future - file will be reviewed again.

RWJ, Tulane - You will be recieving a letter of non-acceptance shortly.

All these years of toil and struggles, and im not doing that badly, and no interviews - i feel awful.

at this point, i feel like its ove r- i applied to another 10 schools, but i feel like they're going to be rejections definitely.
i don't know if i can handle going through this anohter year.
-sigh.

Batman,
Have you considered DO schools or the Carribean? It's not completely over. You have a solid MCAT and your coursework shows you've improved, and you have an excuse for your undergrad coursework. Maybe med schools just want to see a little more of that excellent work you're doing in your post-bac, like another semester and a summer of good grades? If you get on a waitlist make sure you send them Spring grades as well. And if you're willing to consider DO, call UMDNJ-SOM and ask to speak to Ms. Watkins, see if theres anything you can do. One suggestion would be to send a transcript and your MCAT scores so they atleast have that - their secondary is available for everyone online, so atleast they would have you "in the system."
If you have questions about DO school, Penn's premed office is very helpful.

Consider doing something interesting for a year, and then reapplying EARLY (like in June) of next year. Applying as late as you did put you at a GIANT and HUGE disadvantage. I was holding an acceptance before you applied, as were many others - and my stats were WORSE than yours. What that means is that the people like me took spots that people like you might have taken had you only applied early...

SO...take a year, do something cool, then reapply in June, and you should do a lot better. Also, make sure to apply broad, and to a good number of schools.

Hey, you're *really* late in the game here... I think that's what's causing problems for you. A lot of schools are rolling, and as others have said, many people were accepted by the time you were even complete. Why did you apply so late? I mean, you did the Drexel postbac so they should have told you that applying late isn't great? I also thought that Drexel postbac kids are guaranteed an interview there? Cheer up, though -- June is just a few months away. Chill out and do something else, work up the energy to apply again... remember that once you've got everything *in* you don't need to worry, and those interview requests will be coming in. Apply to a broad range of schools. Do some more volunteering, maybe research. What are your extra-currics...? what's the rest of your application like?

anon-y-mouse said:
Hey, you're *really* late in the game here... I think that's what's causing problems for you. A lot of schools are rolling, and as others have said, many people were accepted by the time you were even complete. Why did you apply so late? I mean, you did the Drexel postbac so they should have told you that applying late isn't great? I also thought that Drexel postbac kids are guaranteed an interview there? Cheer up, though -- June is just a few months away. Chill out and do something else, work up the energy to apply again... remember that once you've got everything *in* you don't need to worry, and those interview requests will be coming in. Apply to a broad range of schools. Do some more volunteering, maybe research. What are your extra-currics...? what's the rest of your application like?

But it seems like I've read from plenty of people that if they were going to interview you at all, they still would even if you applied late - its just that now it will be for a waitlist spot and not for an open seat...

Regarding the rest of my app:

volunteer at children's hospital - 5 years
ronald mcdonald house - 5 years
Boy scouts of america - assistant scoutmaster
track and field, division 1 - 1.5 years
recieved a grant to film a screenplay i wrote
research, 2 years
etc...

Batmaan21 said:
But it seems like I've read from plenty of people that if they were going to interview you at all, they still would even if you applied late - its just that now it will be for a waitlist spot and not for an open seat...

Regarding the rest of my app:

volunteer at children's hospital - 5 years
ronald mcdonald house - 5 years
Boy scouts of america - assistant scoutmaster
track and field, division 1 - 1.5 years
recieved a grant to film a screenplay i wrote
research, 2 years
etc...

I mean if with taht my state school won't even offer me an invite for a waitlist spot, what am i to do? i feel useless righ tnow

Batmaan21 said:

Only if you're a superstar... I know someone (with a 39/3.75) who applied right at the deadline for Einstein, and got an interview for two weeks later. Why would they even interview you for a waitlist spot? Assuming a class is 150 people, they'd accept 250-300 before they'd "interview for the waitlist"... because that's a decent yield already. Any acceptances after that poiint would be given out very cautiously. Schools are still interviewing for acceptances (except maybe Mayo), they distribute those 250-300 over time. To "interview for the waitlist" from there is pointless for the school unless it has a low yield, because that would just be disappointing the applicants. It's generally a school's waste of time to 'interview for the waitlist'.

Your GPA, esp BCPM, is below average at all schools. That, combined with your lateness, is probably why you didn't receive interviews. However, remember that it's an *average* - people have higher, people have lower. At this stage in the process though, admissions officials have seen thousands of applicants, so it's really difficult to go "beyond numbers" because they're already swamped. If you made the numbers cut, then they'd probably look more closely at your application with interest. If you'd been complete in August/September, or even October, admissions people would have more time to look at your application and see those amazing extra-curricular activities and your efforts to improve your application.

Even for an August MCATer (there was a whole thread on interviews for August MCATers!), you were complete almost 2 months after many August MCATers were. It's simply the rule of diminishing returns.

Since you've already applied, you might as well pursue those applications... but be prepared to apply when AMCAS opens up again in a few months! Apply with confidence!! You'll get something for sure, if you persevere. You could also talk to admissions directors at your state school on why you didn't get in, and how you can increase your candidacy - a lot of schools are willing to do this.