Please help select Medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nstack

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already chose 18 medical schools to apply to however, I do not have enough money to apply to them all. Please help me eliminate the harder schools to get into. I am looking to apply to 7 schools.

GPA = 3.4
MCAT = will take August 22.
I am a Wyoming Resident.

I will not eliminate the BOLD schools. Thanks for your help!

List:

Albany Medical College
Creighton University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Florida State University
New York Medical College
Oregon Health and Science University
The University of New Mexico Health Sciences Cente
Uni. of North Dakota Sch. of Med. & Hlth. Sci.
University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix
University of California, Davis School of Medicine
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Hawaii John A. Burns Sch. of Med.
University of Nebraska College of Medicine
University of Nevada School of Medicine
University of Utah School of Medicine
University of Washington School of Medicine

Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Wake Forest School

Members don't see this ad.

I already chose 18 medical schools to apply to however, I do not have enough money to apply to them all. Please help me eliminate the harder schools to get into. I am looking to apply to 7 schools.

GPA = 3.4
I am a Wyoming Resident.

I will not eliminate the BOLD schools. Thanks for your help!

List:

Albany Medical College
Creighton University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Florida State University
New York Medical College
Oregon Health and Science University
The University of New Mexico Health Sciences Cente
Uni. of North Dakota Sch. of Med. & Hlth. Sci.
University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix
University of California, Davis School of Medicine
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Hawaii John A. Burns Sch. of Med.
University of Nebraska College of Medicine
University of Nevada School of Medicine
University of Utah School of Medicine
University of Washington School of Medicine

Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Wake Forest School

Get rid of Hawaii, VT and California schools. Not competitive for any of them unless you have strong ties to Hawaii

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are looking to cut tougher schools, I believe Wake Forest's avg stats are above your GPA, although of course it depends on what you get on the MCAT.

You want to start in 2014? You're applying extremely late with a low GPA...not recipe for success.

Yes, I am applying for 2014. I keep hearing that its too late with my stats. Is there any chance of me getting in with these stats? I hope to get a 30 on the MCAT. ( I know thats lower)

Should I save my money and apply to more schools next year? I know I am a bit late on applying, I just wanted to finish up some shadowing before I applied. I have around 60 hours in the OR with a General/Vascular surgeon.

I really only want to get into Washington's WWAMI program. But would be extremely happy in any medical school.

Or should I just apply to Washington for now?

Thanks for your help!

I would probably wait until next year. If you feel the need to apply to UW then go for it, but you're wasting your time at most other places that late.

Yes, I am applying for 2014. I keep hearing that its too late with my stats. Is there any chance of me getting in with these stats? I hope to get a 30 on the MCAT. ( I know thats lower)

Should I save my money and apply to more schools next year? I know I am a bit late on applying, I just wanted to finish up some shadowing before I applied. I have around 60 hours in the OR with a General/Vascular surgeon.

I really only want to get into Washington's WWAMI program. But would be extremely happy in any medical school.

Thanks for your help!

If you can, I think it's better to wait a year. Taking your MCAT in late August means you won't get your MCAT score until late September which puts you at secondaries in October. Way to late, imo. Especially with a 3.4 and a goal score of 30. There's always a CHANCE you'll get but in but it's very slim. Save your money and build you app.

GPA = 3.4
I am a Wyoming Resident.

OP, fwiw, I think you should consider a gap year. You could work and make enough $ so that you can apply to every school that interest you and increase your chances. You might also take some classes to boost your GPA. You don't want to be a reapp if it can be avoided.
Whatever you decide, best of luck.

Thank you for all of your help guys! I was considering a gap year in the back of my mind this whole time anyways! =)

1 Last question about the gap year.

It seems like a gap year is nearly pointless without being a 2 year ordeal. This is my reasoning.....

August - Dec will be my Senior Fall semester
Jan - May will be my Senior Spring semester

I'll need 3 months then to study for the MCAT. This puts me into the same boat i am in now, making it to late to apply for 2015.

So my question is, is a 2year gap to large? Do i try and study for the MCAT during the spring semester so I can apply for 2015? Or take that full year, do more shadowing / volunteer work. Study for MCAT and finish before the summer. Then apply 2016?

Thanks for your opinions!

Thanks for your help!

http://edge.studentdoctor.net/wamc/All_Applicants.png

Take a gap year to improve your GPA and work on the MCAT. Also work on beefing up ECs.